Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time for the first service and I was thinking of switching to Synthetic. What brand are those that have switched using, When did you switch? Do you use a full synthetic or the blended version. How about filter brands too?
Bought an 06' 3 weeks ago and have almost 1000 miles.

Shadogang

·
Registered
170 Posts
Definitely AMSOIL. I am a dealer also. Have been for several years and I have done a lot of research and comparisons. I deal mostly with industrial applications. AMSOIL is in all my personal vehicles and our company vehicles.
Contact Spike for your application. Don't forget the final drive and the forks.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Do a search for 'synthetic oil' and you get 15 pages of threads. That's a lot of info.

And as always -

Popeye loves Olive Oyl!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I switched to Amsoil at 1,000 miles. Use the Honda filter. I guess I believe in the synthetics. My bike shifts really smooth and the engine is very smooth running also. With the synthetics engines are supposed to run cooler too. IMO Amsoil is a great product. I would change to it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
What specific weight of Amsoil is everyone using? FULL synthetic?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T (formerly MX4T). It is a full synthectic, it is DESIGNED for a motorcycle with a wet clutch. I decided to use this oil since there isn't a place to just go buy Amsoil (you gotta find a dealer, or go internet, and that is way too much work when there is an AutoZone 1 block away from where I work) and Mobil 1 Racing 4T is available at AutoZone. I love this oil, seems to quiet the shift clunk a little, it's CHEAPER than Amsoil, and I can pick some up wherever I am if I need to add a little for some reason (breather tube gets pinched and blows a seal or whatever).
As for the filter, I use a Bosch 3323, longer than a Honda, but still fits without having to jockey it in, and being larger, will have more fiter media. It also has anti backflow, which is IMPORTANT.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oh, BTW, I use the 10W-40. Mobil 1 makes a 20W-50, called V-Twin, but the higher viscosity is for Harleys and other AIR COOLED V-twins.
VTXs are water cooled, use the 10 40.

·
Registered
378 Posts
+1 Amsoil purchased from Chicago Spike.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I used to use MX4T. Presently I am using Shell Rotella Synthetic. Costs about $4 a quart in Walmart. Figured I could change if I did not like it. After about 2 months it seems to be smoother shifting than the MX4T.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Red Ron said:
I used to use MX4T. Presently I am using Shell Rotella Synthetic. Costs about $4 a quart in Walmart. Figured I could change if I did not like it. After about 2 months it seems to be smoother shifting than the MX4T.
+1
5-40wt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts