Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've connected a new Acewell Tach three different ways now, and none work correct.
I'm really get tired of this.

Below is a quote and link I just found.

Anyone know for sure if the VTX 1800 must be connected using the gray wire and not the yellow?

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1800-tech-board/300367-vtx1800-tachometer-issues.html
I eventually learned that the the rpm wire won't work when connected to the yellow "tach" wire in the headlight box. Instead, for us VTX1800 people, it needs to connect to the camshaft position sensor, i.e. the gray wire coming out of the ECM.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
I've connected a new Acewell Tach three different ways now, and none work correct.
I'm really get tired of this.

Below is a quote and link I just found.

Anyone know for sure if the VTX 1800 must be connected using the gray wire and not the yellow?

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1800-tech-board/300367-vtx1800-tachometer-issues.html
I eventually learned that the the rpm wire won't work when connected to the yellow "tach" wire in the headlight box. Instead, for us VTX1800 people, it needs to connect to the camshaft position sensor, i.e. the gray wire coming out of the ECM.
The GRAY wire from the CMP (Camshaft Position sensor) was determined to be the best signal source.
That has been mentioned.. It is on your drawings also....
Yellow wire - two choices
Gray wire to gray Camshaft position sensor was the 3rd choice in the degree of difficulty.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
For me there is only one tach, available at www.dakotadigital.com.
I installed it more than 10 years ago connecting it to the yellow wire in the headlight bucket. It is quick, has stable readings and is accurate which I checked by connecting my laptop to the PCIII. Anyway good luck to the OP.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
For me there is only one tach, available at www.dakotadigital.com.
I installed it more than 10 years ago connecting it to the yellow wire in the headlight bucket. It is quick, has stable readings and is accurate which I checked by connecting my laptop to the PCIII. Anyway good luck to the OP.
Ha, ha..
I have a Dakota HLY6000 and an Acewell 43xx series. The Dakota is for sale. Guess, why! >:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts