Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I look at these vance and hines big shots, the more I think I want them, I love their look. HOWEVER, not ever having the experience to hear them - I am a bit leary since there have been several reports that these suckers are pretty loud, even with the quiet baffles. Is there ANYTHING anyone could do to tame these down to just a tad more louder than the stock pipes. Sorry, I just don't happen to be one of those guys who like loud pipes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've got them on my 18C with quiets and they're still louder than I'd like them to be. Just couldn't resist the look though. No idea what you could do to make them quieter.
Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello,

I am in complete agreement about how great they look. I too was wondering how to get the most sound out of them, as they are a little bit too tame for me.

I took out the quiet baffles and I installed Big City Thunder Monster Baffles. This has really woken them up! I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

David

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The V/H pipes aren't really loud unless you jump on it. You can cruise easy and they simmer down or you can twist it up a notch and sound like a dragster.. :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
solveforX said:
Hello,

I am in complete agreement about how great they look. I too was wondering how to get the most sound out of them, as they are a little bit too tame for me.

I took out the quiet baffles and I installed Big City Thunder Monster Baffles. This has really woken them up! I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

David
Hmmm, I was hoping to quiet them down a bit - but since you mentioned you thought they were TOO quiet?, maybe there aren't as loud as I thought? When you thought they were too tame, did they have the quiet baffles in them?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
i have bigshots with thundermonsters and they are very very loud. i can set off car alarms just driving by lol.

·
Super Moderator
63,772 Posts
This is the reason why we say that exhaust sound is very subjective. I had the V&H with standard baffs and the Monsters. I could get in and out of my neighborhood in the early morning and not disturb my neighbors. Get through my conservative Yuppie town without attracting attention of my local LEOs. But when I hammered it, yes they were loud with the standards and louder still with the Monsters. Cruising levels wasn't bad with either baffle. 8)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
IMO, When you first put the V&H Bigshots on, your mind is still fixated on what the stockers sound like and they may seem loud . . . AT FIRST. Then with a couple rides, the pipes seem (to me) to settle in and develop a very sweet and mellow grumble. I have standard baffles. You'll love that V8 sound, trust me!

The best thing about these pipes is when you're idling next to someone on the cell phone and YOU KNOW they don't even know you're there. Then twist that throttle and watch the cell phone being removed from some idiot's face and you will know it is money well-spent. Cell phones and the idiots who insist on talking in the car are my newest enemy!!!!! If ordinary folks claim they "didn't see the motorcycle," imagine someone having a conversation on the phone, on the road.

"V&H, THE CLEARER CONNECTION!"

·
Registered
16 Posts
indicolts said:
The more I look at these vance and hines big shots, the more I think I want them, I love their look. HOWEVER, not ever having the experience to hear them - I am a bit leary since there have been several reports that these suckers are pretty loud, even with the quiet baffles. Is there ANYTHING anyone could do to tame these down to just a tad more louder than the stock pipes. Sorry, I just don't happen to be one of those guys who like loud pipes.
When I bought my C bike it had the V&H bigshots on it. They were a little louder than I was looking for. I thought I wanted something just a little louder than stock, but I bought it anyway. Long story short, after I got used to them, I love em and wouldn't trade em! I've become a believer in the theory that "Loud pipes save lives". People in cages may not see me, but they WILL hear me.

The Bigshots aren't as loud as some, but they do make noise. So if you want to whisper down the road, you probably ought to find something else. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I love my Bigshots w/o baffles. They are pretty loud--enough to set off some car alarms but I would never go back to anything quieter. No Harley rider who has heard me coming from a mile and a half away calls my X a rice burner with these on. I also agree with the comment about cell phones. Sometimes I'll pull in the clutch and give the throttle a little twist when I'm coming up on someone driving with a cell phone. If they don't hear me, there's a good chance they won't notice me--even if I drive with brights on in the day.

·
Registered
561 Posts
V & H w/ thunder Baffles are quiet most of the time

I installed Vance and Hines Bigshots with Thunder city monster baffles as well and I found them, to be low and mellow. They can get very loud however (loud enough to sound like a dozen souped up GTOs ), but only if I start the bike.
Al

·
Registered
8 Posts
V&H big shots

If you want a quiter sound, get the roadhouse cannon, 2 into 1. It is a glass pak,and sounds really fine. Plus, you add horsepower. Cruising along, it has a mellow rumble. :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have them on my C with quiet baffles...
Loud when you jump on the gas...mellow when riding along in town..

I can putt through town..and not set off any car alarms...
Looks good, sounds good..and if you want..you can tune them the way you want..using some glass wrap...

I do not think you will be disappointed with V&H.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i run the V+H with NO baffles and i by no means think they are too loud. sounds puuuuurrrrrrfect on the interstate at 70-80 mph :D but i do understand that many people do like that "tamer" quiter sound; but the two sets i've heard w/baffles(both guys said they were the baffles that came w/the pipes) just didn't sound "right"-to me. quieter- by all means, but just didn't have that necessary rumble/low tone this bike is capable of producing. just my .02 worth Good luck in deciding and rememebr, the more you look the harder the decision gets :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts