Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I do have a small one that is magnetic with a security strap. I have used it on my Royal Star Venture often and a few times on my VTX.

They will scratch the tank to some degree. So on my RSV I measured then ordered from LaminX www.lamin-x.com/‎ protective film to put on the tank where the magnets rest. I plan to do the same to my VTX if I use the tank bag again. I would have to check for the brand I have.

It is not as important on my X since I have a small bag I put between my bars and the windshield. I also have two small pouches on the windshield. It was a three piece but I did not like the middle one so I cut it off. I also have two Rapid Transit small pouches (not sure they still make them) on my bars secured near each mirror.

·
Old Goat
24,406 Posts
Please Just say no to tank bags....................but hey your bike your rulz....:crying:

·
Registered
666 Posts
How would you describe the condition of your Tank now? Hows the paint?

if it's good and the paint looks nice i wouldn't recommend a tank bag. On the other hand, if the tank has damage or the paint is in fair to poor condition, why not use a tank bag to conceal some existing scratches while gaining some storage.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had a small magnetic mount one on my 1800 it’s been on for two years now without issues or any damage to the paint.
Never came loose once in very strong winds, only complaint is a small map window, has plenty of room and its waterproof.
But looking into a Givi 20L on the DK site (its also waterproof).
My ipad is not playing nice with the site so I’ll edit the pics later today from home..
This one from DK
https://www.denniskirk.com/givi/gravel-t-20-liter-waterproof-tank-bag-grt705.p5001968.prd/5001968.sku

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a magnetic one on mine . Mostly just for the maps , water and camera . Eventually it scratched my clear coat on the tank no matter how careful I was . If I would do it again , I would go with the clear protective film first just like guys here recommended .
On the other hand if you load it up it makes already top heavy motorcycle even more top heavy and I really don't like that ...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Personally, i'd never ever do a Tank bag. Between the saddlebags and the rear rack and windshield bag, it's all i need.

Has to make fueling-up a pita.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use a small one on long rides 6+ hrs. It's nice for a couple protein bars, gum, hard candies, chapstick etc. So much easier than trying to fumble with crap in my pockets.
I also use a camel back in saddle bag with a long hose tucked in my jacket for hydration.

I quite enjoy sitting back in my flying lazy boy with a snack and drink..... lol.

The bag was a cheap one from Walmart, (colman brand I think) I wanted to see if I liked using one and just stuck with it.

P.S. I do have an extra tank for long rides so I often go 4+hrs between gas stops.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
My X had a tank bag (strap on) when I purchased it. Previous owner apparently never removed it or cleaned under it. It was filthy under tank bag. Scratched hell out of tank. I removed it 2nd day I owned bike. Will never replace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts