Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wanted to find out what you'll think of my latest project.

rusty, at catagory 5 customs http://cat5customs.com/ , is doing my tank work. he is finishing up on my stretch tank, pop up gas cap and tank seam. his customer service has been excellent i have been getting pics via email showing his progress on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Thats cool as heck, I love the popup gas cap effect. At laconia this year there was a guy that had one and it was neat to see he relocated his led lights into the headlight housing on the top, it was clean as heck. What are your plans with yours, someday i'll get it done!

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
Looks Hot Scott!! Thats gonna be One heck of a Ride when U are Done :D :D :D

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
Sweeeeeeeet :lol: please keep posting pics. Good luck on this one.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
So does this mean the seat gets moved back or layed on top of it? If moved back then what about the arm stretch to the handlebars? Need even longer risers? How much more gas will you be able to put in or was it just a cosmetic change?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wildabouthorses said:
So does this mean the seat gets moved back or layed on top of it? If moved back then what about the arm stretch to the handlebars? Need even longer risers? How much more gas will you be able to put in or was it just a cosmetic change?
the front tip of the seat will be designed to fit inside the opening of the tank and it will push my seating position back a few inches but will not be a problem i'm 6' 2". the stretch is a cosmetic stretch and will not include any additional fuel capacity. my handle bars are internally wired so i would not dream of changing out the bars what pita that would be :evil:

thanks everybody for the kind comments. this is the first phase in my conversion. next i will be stripping the bike down to the frame to paint ( i'm trying to bribe kevin k. and jgalfo to help me get the motor out :D ) and i will be widening the neo fender, hopefully with no fender struts showing, and putting on a 240 rear :D

i will keep you'll post i my progress

scott

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts
VTXOAK said:
I like what you are doing, what are you going to do with the paint?
Not too long ago we did a seamless tank for the bike. We sent it down to "71shark"he and his dad are did the paintjob you see in those pics. As I recall from talking to 71shark when he called me a few weeks ago, they were going to just re-spray the tank when it got back. They were debating spraying a candy over it..... 8)

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
I love the look of a pop-up cap, here's mine 8)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I think it's going to look great...especially on a NEO, but I have a couple of questions. First, how does the pop up cap work with the existing speedo housing, etc.? Also, will this tank extension work with a Big Boy seat from Ultimate Seating? It's short enough for me from seat back to tank as it is. Any shorter and the boys will be riding on the tank and I'm not sure they'd like that.

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I think it's going to look great...especially on a NEO, but I have a couple of questions. First, how does the pop up cap work with the existing speedo housing, etc.? Also, will this tank extension work with a Big Boy seat from Ultimate Seating? It's short enough for me from seat back to tank as it is. Any shorter and the boys will be riding on the tank and I'm not sure they'd like that.
He will No longer have the Stock Speedo, Got something different..
And NO, U can not use any stock or stock aftermarket seat.. He will be getting a New Custom Seat....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BDsbigZRX said:
VTXOAK said:
Not too long ago we did a seamless tank for the bike. We sent it down to "71shark"he and his dad are did the paintjob you see in those pics. As I recall from talking to 71shark when he called me a few weeks ago, they were going to just re-spray the tank when it got back. They were debating spraying a candy over it..... 8)
yep, that's the plan my dad and i will be doing the painting. we are going to do the frame and tins with the hok marblized paint. i would love to get some graphics over the marblized tins but that is beyond our expertise. i wish i had the dough to get either of you two to do the graphics. i am a been big fan of both of you and always look forward to seeing new paint schemes. brian thanks again for all the info and a great job you did on my tank seam 8) i think it's a must for all vtx's

scott

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
71shark said:
BDsbigZRX said:
VTXOAK said:
yep, that's the plan my dad and i will be doing the painting. we are going to do the frame and tins with the hok marblized paint. i would love to get some graphics over the marblized tins but that is beyond our expertise. i wish i had the dough to get either of you two to do the graphics. i am a been big fan of both of you and always look forward to seeing new paint schemes. brian thanks again for all the info and a great job you did on my tank seam 8) i think it's a must for all vtx's

scott
If you can get marblizer down then you won't have any problems with graphics, just get out the tape and start drawing or some chalk and do the layout until you like it. (Waxfree)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jon's1800VTXC said:
I love the look of a pop-up cap, here's mine 8)

jon, the tank looks great. i can't wait to get mine home to see it up close of course i will probably have to wait a month or two before i get to see it with paint on it. unfortunately paint will be the last thing done :(

scott

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

hey 71shark, consider shooting a candy over that marblized finish, per our most recent conversation. It'll really make it come to life! If you can spray clear, you can spray candy! I know we've spoken several times already, but feel free to call me anytime with Q's or for pointers!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: .......

BDsbigZRX said:
hey 71shark, consider shooting a candy over that marblized finish, per our most recent conversation. It'll really make it come to life! If you can spray clear, you can spray candy! I know we've spoken several times already, but feel free to call me anytime with Q's or for pointers!
thank you for offering to give me advice i'm sure i will need some down the road :D

actually my dad did two sets of his tins with cobalt blue and tangerine candy but i preferred the none candy look. i can't seem to find a candy color that i like. my issues with the candy are that you really can't see what's under it very well in less your in direct sun light

scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts