Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since a few days proud owner of a 2005 VTX 1800. you the fun was only short. The engine stopped after 10-15 min. After a while I could drive a few meters again. The longer I wait, the further I got. Symptoms as if the engine does not get fuel.

I dismantled the tank and cleaned it. After that I noticed that a vacuum was building up. Next to the two fuel lines is still the drain from the hole under the amateur cover. Furthermore, a thin pipe, apparently without a hose. This seems to be the ventilation. However, this is completely tight. With a wire I got in a few cm deep but it is still absolutely tight. No air comes through. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you, Brian

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no hose attached to this small tube.

As described, there are three hoses on it. Two are benzien to the fuel pump and the other back into the tank. The second hose is at the connection that goes to the hole under the dashboard. The hose ends at the rear wheel. There rainwater runs off. However, the is not open in the tank, so can not be a vent. All three hoses have the same size.

Then there's this little connector that doesn't have a hose on it. That is absolutely closed. I can't squeeze air in or suck air out.

· Registered
14,807 Posts
What did you use as a cleaner??
The vent unit has a devise to allow air to vent but allows fuel and vapor to stay in the tank.

Evaporust cleaned the tank but plugged the vent.
Another cleaning of the tank with Evaporust with air pressure added to keep the
vent open. This may help and a picture of the vent device.

A low mileage VTX 2nd Gen 1800 (4k miles) parked for a long time...
The failure mode was fuel pump canister fuel of rust.
11 pages.... VTX 1800 lose power when hot under power

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got them. coated, I do not know. But the tank does not look coated from the inside (what I can see). Rather rusted. (For your info, I am in Thailand. They certainly don't do coated) ... I'm trying to derust it right now. I would be helped a lot if I knew where the thin tube ends. By my logic, near the gas cap. But where? Maybe I can get to it from the other side.

· Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
444 Posts
Can you not push a wire into the vent tube to clear it? Is there rust in the tank right now? If you answered no to the first question and yes to the second question, you HAVE to clean that tank out. I cleaned mine with 3 gallons of evaporust. But however you do it, you need to use compressed or canned air (with the tank cap removed) to make sure air can move freely to and from the tank.

· Registered
14,807 Posts

· Registered
2002 VTX 1800C, red
2,028 Posts
Hello Brian, welcome to the forum. The best way to determine if you tank is not venting properly is when the bike stalls, immediately open the filler cap and listen for a rush of air entering the tank. Otherwise it could be a fuel filter issue. The US version microfiche of your '05 shows two small tubes next to each other at the left side bottom of the tank. Is that what you have? Mine is an '02 and only has one vent tube so I can't help you regarding the nipple without a hose. Evaporust is listed on Shopee if you want to go that route. Good luck.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
first of all thank you for all the help.
I am sure that the tank is not vented. When I drained the gasoline, it drained very slowly. Slower and slower. Opened the gas cap and it shoots out. Definitely no air coming in.
I got a wire in almost 30 cm, then it stopped. That's why I'd be interested to know where this little pipe ends. Unfortunately I can't see anything in the pictures.

Thanks also for the tip with shopee. That fits. I will try. I also make times forms of the underside of my tank. I am today in the course of the day in the workshop and put the pictures later.

· Registered
13,640 Posts
You can probably buy an entire used bike (for a parts supply of your own) for what a new tank would cost you, provided you even find one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts