Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a Garmin 2610 with the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit and a CycleGadgets.com RAM mount. I think it's a wonderful tool for several reasons:

1. Obviously, it can help guide you to a desired destination, either through entering a route or just by showing the roads ahead.

2. You can look up restaurants, attractions, entertainment, lodging, hospitals, etc. with very little effort. It provides phone numbers and addresses, and with a single button it will provide step-by-step instructions for getting there.

3. If you encounter any problems with your course, such as flooded road or road-blocking accidents, you can very easily have it detour you around the troubled area.

4. If you have it zoomed in enough, it can show you upcoming curves, straight-aways, bridges, etc.

It's just another tool to help make your ride nice, get you where you're going, and find interesting or necessary places along the way.

Scott

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
CTVTX04 said:
I have a Garmin 2610 with the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit and a CycleGadgets.com RAM mount. I think it's a wonderful tool for several reasons:

1. Obviously, it can help guide you to a desired destination, either through entering a route or just by showing the roads ahead.

2. You can look up restaurants, attractions, entertainment, lodging, hospitals, etc. with very little effort. It provides phone numbers and addresses, and with a single button it will provide step-by-step instructions for getting there.

3. If you encounter any problems with your course, such as flooded road or road-blocking accidents, you can very easily have it detour you around the troubled area.

4. If you have it zoomed in enough, it can show you upcoming curves, straight-aways, bridges, etc.

It's just another tool to help make your ride nice, get you where you're going, and find interesting or necessary places along the way.

Scott
Yeah - what he said

Blade - tap tap tap tap....I'm waiting for your SPIII pic here bud 8)
Maybe we could just get Tapper to sticky it for us so we wouldn't have to go looking for it every time. :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree that Garmin is best. We have a street Pilot 2610, apparently the 2620 is now taking it's place. Best bet is to order directly from Garmin. Unfortunately I ordered through GPS Explorer that has "high customer ratings" They REFUSED to give me the $50. rebate that they "offered". I've emailed, faxed, phoned them and they out right lied to me "the check is being cut". These people were scammers! Anyway, I'm happy w/ the Garmin product, for finding routes, hotels, restaurants and gas. Can't go wrong w/ a GPS system.

·
Registered
520 Posts
gps

Hey Riley Where did you get those hand protectors????

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
VTXgrl1022 said:
Agree that Garmin is best. We have a street Pilot 2610, apparently the 2620 is now taking it's place. Best bet is to order directly from Garmin. Unfortunately I ordered through GPS Explorer that has "high customer ratings" They REFUSED to give me the $50. rebate that they "offered". I've emailed, faxed, phoned them and they out right lied to me "the check is being cut". These people were scammers! Anyway, I'm happy w/ the Garmin product, for finding routes, hotels, restaurants and gas. Can't go wrong w/ a GPS system.
Check that. Sorry to contradict you, but the only difference in the 2610 & the 2620 is the memory. The 10 uses a flash memory card while the 20 uses a microdrive (miniature hard drive) that does not like vibrations. It's fine for a car, but you can be assured of early drive failure. Whatever you do, don't buy any GPS for bike use with a microdrive. Best be is probably Amazon.com or Egghead.com

·
Registered
97 Posts
GPS

Okie dokie, I reckon I am a misfit. I use Magellan. I just upgraded to a Meridian Platinum and I am extremely satisfied with it. I can use a program I "obtained" and plot turn by turn directions to/from wherever I wanna go. I have only used it to go back and forth to Birmingham since I got it, but I know that I will enjoy it as soon as I have enough strength to ride long distances. Stupid cancer.

As far as featured to look for.... Be danged sure that you have mapping capabilities. A screen that's large enough to see without straining makes it safer. More memory is pretty much better.

My complaints about the units... pay attention to what you are buying. The unit may come with software you need or it may be $100 more. Power cords come in various types and uses, too.

Overall, I'd give my GPS a 5 out of 5. It has weather built in, sunrise/sunset, and numerous useful features. A $260 (somewhere around there) price tag makes it even better, too.

Lance

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Nope...I'M a Misfit

Seriously, you going to Thunder Beach? I'd kinda like to see that Magellan unit. The weather function would be rather nice. Does it have a realtime radar screen? That'd be awesome!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I also have a Garmin 2610. In addition to all the advantages already listed above, I love the fact that I can ride anywhere, down any back road, turn as many times as I like, withoug having to worry about remembering how to retrace my steps. Once I'm ready to go home,I just touch the "Home" icon, and select either "Fastest" or "Shortest" route. (Same concept for any other place I want to go, after just puttering around for awhile and now knowing the best place to get somewhere.)

I routinely use the "Shortest" route even when I'm in familiar areas. It's fun to go through unfamiliar territory, through subdivisions that you never realized even existed, and shortcuts that I would have never thought of. I've learned about lots of backroads this way, and seen lots of territory that I would never known about otherwise.

Eddie

G

·
0 Posts
I have the Garmin Quest and am very happy with it. Have used it on two four day rides. It is rechargeable and mounts to my handlebar.

It has 115 megs of memory so will hold a lot of detail map info.

·
Registered
360 Posts
OK guys, I'm hooked. This will be my next upgrade. Too bad it doesn't come in chrome :) Does the 2610 come with the mounting hardware? And does it need wired into the cycle electronics?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Witness said:
OK guys, I'm hooked. This will be my next upgrade. Too bad it doesn't come in chrome :) Does the 2610 come with the mounting hardware? And does it need wired into the cycle electronics?
No it doesn't come with MOTORCYCLE mounting hardware. Your best bet is to probably check with cyclegadgets.com on that. You'll need a hardwire kit as well. It's just a cable that you'll have to run back to your battery for pos and neg connections. I had heard that someone on here was making an interesting mount that replaces the master cylinder cap. I like that, but I think it'd put it up too high and maybe hang it out there on the right side too much. Wouldn't mind seeing one, but I think I'd probably keep my RAM mount from cyclegadgets

G

·
0 Posts
For some great information on Garmin and other GPS devices, you might want to do some research at "http://gpsinformation.net/". They also have a recommended GPS vendors list.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've dealt with GPScity.com quite a bit and they have good info on their website and are the largest mover of Garmin products on the Internet (this from a Garmin sales rep, their HQ is local for me and fellow VTX rider bargmann works there). They also have a huge selection of RAM mount hardware.

roog

http://www.gpscity.com

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: gps

mike149 said:
Hey Riley Where did you get those hand protectors????
Hey mike
Got those from Nationsl Cycle. They were actually very cheaply made and i can't honestly say if they do any good. I've been thin king about taking them off when I get my custom SAC grips.

Thanks everyone fot the GPS info!! :beer3:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Just checked Amazon's site and they've got the 2610 on sale for $619 with free shipping. Not sure how much better the new C320's going to be. They've got it priced at $699 but not showing it as available yet. I'd like to see one of those C series models before selling the old 2610 and buying one. I'm kind of partial to my 2610.

·
Registered
78 Posts
roogie said:
I've dealt with GPScity.com quite a bit and they have good info on their website and are the largest mover of Garmin products on the Internet (this from a Garmin sales rep, their HQ is local for me and fellow VTX rider bargmann works there). They also have a huge selection of RAM mount hardware.

roog

http://www.gpscity.com
I can't believe you didn't get bargmann to 'hook you up'! Just kidding, but actually a friend of mine that works for Garmin got me a Legend C for his cost. They can buy a few a year as long as they don't make money off them. The Legend C is about the smallest unit you can get that has routing. When I get off the bike it just goes in my pocket! Th best price I found for the C was about $250 on eBay, with list at $350. The handle bar mount is about $15 and works great. By the way, I'm over in Roeland Park.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts