Honda VTX Forum banner

Tell me I don't need a new fuel pump

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  TennX 
#1 ·
Running poorly for a while now:

Starts up just fine. FI light comes on. Fuel pump whines. Idles o.k.

First pull on the throttle at first gear she stutters and sputters like she's trying to catch. And jinking the clutch and throttle a little, she smooths out.

Shifting to second it happens again. Stutters and surges (that part's fun). A little monkeying with the clutch & throttle and she makes it thru to the next gear.

Where it happens again....and again...and again...

In fifth @ 70 mph she seems to smooth out, but will occasionally loose her forward momentum..Off the throttle and back on & she gets her groove back.

Things I've checked: battery, ECU, new plugs, no crimped fuel lines, newly cleaned air filter, a couple of bottles of Seafoam in half a dozen tanks from a new sources of gas.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
how about telling Us, what bike you have... I can not remote 'view' your bike.

VTX1800 made from late 2001 to 2008...

2 major fuel system designs,,

what has been done to this not-know year or model of motorcycle !!!!

stock, re-programmer, exhaust, FPR replacement,

#8 ·
Update: had done the ground fix in the past; checked my work. FWIW it wasn't the fuel pump. Looked at the battery and found every cell bone-dry. Replaced with new & no sign of the issue. And this is the third time that a battery has 'run dry' and it manifested itself with an unspecified electrical problem.

Just sharing.

Reactions: rangers4u
#9 ·
Are you using an AGM battery? Are you using a battery charger/maintainer? Most acid is absorbed in to the mat. Excessive voltage from R/R or charger/maintainer can cause loss of water from the acid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.