Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding today (stop and go traffic) and the temp light came on. It would go back out after a min or so once up to speed. So home I went. :(

Did a search on the forums...ah possible blown fuse...nope, fuse is good. Coolant level is fine. :?

Let it cool, then took it to the dealer. No overheat light the whole way. Dealer is about to close, but the service rep told me to bring it back in and he'd check the fan with a heat gun (to see if it kicks on). So back home I go. No overheat light.

Figured I'd check to see if the fan came on at all while letting it idle in the driveway. Fan never turned, but the overheat light came back on. :x

You guys have any ideas? Another search here mentioned something about the relay. Not sure where that is. Bike is still under warrenty and only has 1080 miles on it. Guess I'll drop it off this week sometime.

G

·
0 Posts
I remember someone having problems with the wires. They were loose or disconected.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loose connection is what I'm thinking as well. I'm going to let it cool a bit then get back out there and look a little closer.

G

·
0 Posts
there's a switch on the bottom of the radiator and there is a connector between the radiator and the front jug on the left side, by the grommet that holds the spark plug cover on.

From the manual.

Disconnect the connector from the fan motor switch on the bottom of the radiator and ground it with a jumper. Turn the ignition on. If the motor starts the switch is bad.

if it doesn't start, disconect the connector by the jug, check voltage between black/blue (+) and green (-). You should have voltage.

if you have voltage, replace motor
if no voltage, check for open circuit in the bk/blue and green wires.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Sounds like a fan fuse.

Any overflow?
Might check the coolant .

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coolant and fuse are fine. Heck, the fan assembly is not damaged and still looks brand new.

Coley, good info. Unfortunatley, I don't have the required things to do that check with. Not really sure I'd know how to do it either--electrics scare me...lol. But the directions make sense.

Guess I'll just have to take it in.

G

·
0 Posts
You're still under warrenty, so you're better off letting them fix it anyway.

I just like to screw with things. In fact I do it for a living. :lol:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
coley said:

Left yourself wide open there buddy!! But I'll let someone else do it :lol:

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
cool runnins said:
coley said:

Left yourself wide open there buddy!! But I'll let someone else do it :lol:
too easy

G

·
0 Posts
I had about 4 replies to those comments and erased every one. I think it would just dig the hole deeper. So, I'll just shut up now. :lol:

Look I said "hole".....Now you can add that. :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey My Brother, Sorry to hear about the bike problem. Give me a call when you get a chance , we will see if we can't figure this out.

·
Registered
246 Posts
temp. light

see my post-reply of last week....'04 retro with about 1000 miles or less, same exact problem! it was the sensor or relay and it had to be ordered as the dealer said they don't usually break. no problems since (now 14k)

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 1300 Retro did the same thing..light on at stoplight right after leaving the stealer from the 600 mile checkup..turned around and went back..they looked at it and couldn't find a thing wrong..fuse ok, etc..I turned the fan manually and it started to turn with engine off and key on..started eng and fan still operated ok..left stealer after telling them that I would return if further problems developed..Haven't been back since.. the fan has had no problems since I manually got it spinning again. That was about 8000 miles ago.. I guess something had jammed it during the checkup and I dislodged when I spun by hand..Just another posting of a fan problem and possible fix??? 8)

D

·
0 Posts
Same thing happened to me when the bike was new, and the dealer had a heck of a time diagnosing it - had it in the shop 2 or 3 times. Finally they figured out it was a bad ground to the fan inside the fan housing. Once they fixed that it's been okay ever since.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
awax said:
Figured I'd check to see if the fan came on at all while letting it idle in the driveway. Fan never turned, but the overheat light came back on.
That's the key (your I know you checked the fuse but honestly, that's probably your only problem. The same thing happened to me and others (you can perform a "search" function and find many similar stories). Your fan didn't come on because the fuse IS blown; your engine then overheats temporarily until you actually ride it (i.e., the bike moves); replace that fuse and you'll be fine. I'm hoping that perhaps the fuse just didn't appear to you to be blown/broken. Beyond that -- warranty. It will all be fine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly, the original stock fuse checked good. I went and bought some new Buss fuses and replaced it yesterday afternoon just to be sure. Again, I let the bike run for a long time, but the fan never came on (it was about 77 ambient outside). The bottom water hose did get hot as heck, but the Overtemp light never came on. I don't think that fan has ever turned to be honest with you. Dealer is closed today, so I'm taking it in tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
awax said:
Honestly, the original stock fuse checked good.
Oh.

Well, I tried.... But like I said, it WILL be taken care of; then later, you know you'll just have an amusing little story to tell about your bike over a few beers...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same thing here at about 2000-3000 miles. Fan would stop running due to slack in the fan shaft of the motor. Took it back to the dealer. They replaced the fan motor, blade and the radiator too. The fan blade had worn a spot in the radiator. No problems since then though. 19,500 miles now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts