Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent been riding much...but have been working on this 1992 Palomino tent trailer. We got it for free, but had been subjected to serious neglect. At first glance, didn't look too bad...but as I dug in I quickly realized the floor was rotted out completely in the back, and most the front. The back wall was also being supported mostly by the tin. So we have now removed everything down to the subfloor, and will rebuild it from the frame up :) Anyone's thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get the decking off and frame painted this week (weather permitting) and possibly new decking in place before the weekend is over. Looking at 3/4" treated tongue and groove plywood.

And here is how she sits currently. Top resting on the base....and a garage full of cabinets and misc pop up parts LOL

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
these projects happen more often that One would think......
a man on the next block is doing the same thing... do not know the brand... everything made of wood is history...

and my brother-in-law did something like this 20 years ago... to sleep in till his log cabin was built.. Summer Home.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plan at this point is to replace the subfloor with new treated lumber, vinyl planking for flooring, painted masonite on the interior walls, paint the cabinets and build new MDF countertops, rebuild the front and rear trailer ends and cover with aluminum diamond plate, refresh paint on the side skins, LED lights all the way around, new bunks, reupholster cushions, new canvas...basically building a new pop up.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Rob,
Looks like a big project but as you know, you will have new memories with the family with all the camping...:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The is definately the driving force behind getting this project done!! We want to be able to use it before the summer is over. We have about 5 weeks until the canvas might be here....so hoping to have everything else buttoned up by then

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Looks like you're teaching a few people the value of hard work 8) with a reward at the end of it

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am. This isnt my project...it is our project. My wife and our friend are helping every bit as much as what I am doing...and I am enjoying the chance to teach them along the way. Even our son tanner is helping out. Definately a family project and then some, which is what will make the end that much more special.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
FYI for a cheap wood sealer in the past I've thinned down Tight bond 3 with water and rolled it on like paint. The first coat will soak into the wood really well. Seems to be working so far :thumbup:

Good luck on the project. With that much help you should be done in no time.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to update this thread. We took off the old decking and cleaned up the trailer for primer and paint:

Then this weekend we installed new decking

We also started stripping the paneling off the walls and rebuilding the braces...

·
Registered
996 Posts
It's moving along. The first trip out, your going to be so happy you did it the right way (i.e. stripping it all the way down to the frame...).

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just hope the first trip out is this summer still LOL Lots left to do, but you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Long as we can get the main structure finished, we can always fart around with minor trim items thru out the summer.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Even though I bought a brand new camper this spring. I have been doing mod's just about every weekend to it (and have more things on order...). These are fun projects...:lol:

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am having fun with this PUP...but it is taking up most of our free time. Which means I havent gotten much saddle time ={

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
looking good man. Keep the pictures coming. I understand about projects. The fruits of your labor do pay off! Hopefully the new boat can land me another one of these :mrgreen:
P1010041-1.jpg

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very Nice!!! I should be in Sioux Lookout Ontario right now fishing, but just wasnt in the cards. Too much going on around home and loving every minute of it. My cousin and his son left with another cousin and my uncle last night to fish for a week. I did it for 14 years straight. Some of the best fishing of my life and no competition...

Canada 005.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Nice picks!

My dad took me fly-in fishing out of souix lookout when I was a kid a couple of times. I'd love to do it now but its around 1500 pp Hard to justify now that I can drive up and take the boy for a 1/4 of that.

That pick was taken on this past saturday! :p Still got my Big walleye grin on my chin. My personal best so far 28.5" Hoping my next trip I can crack the 29" mark.

Here's my friend pulling in a 27" https://youtu.be/C97u8dfLPKo

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I caught a walleye similar to that in canada once...I'll have to find the picture. Personal best pike was 44", but cant seem to find that pic either.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts