Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I couldn;t believe it!! After all the hype, the leg room and handlebar position on my 1300 X feel MUCH better!! I thought the bars too much of a reach for a cruiser, and the heel-toe shifter was a bit narrow, making it difficult to shift with my boots on.

My son works for H-D, and he had been pushing for me to drive the Road King, telling me that I'd really like the ride. Sorry, son, but it doesn't measure up to my X.

I'm not a small guy (6'3". 315), and I thought that the Road King would offer better seating position, leg extension and shoulder comfort. Wrong on all 3 counts.

Now, the dealer was quick to point out that I could get "pull back" risers for the bars, and highway pegs, but I just like the way my legs fit on my X.

Think I just saved $18,000+!! Better get ready for the HDL Memorial Day event!!!

This is NOT a bash fo the H-D, it was a fine machine. Just a personal opinion on the fit.

The finish was fabulous. I really like their colors. Mine was a black and burgundy two-tone, which really looked sharp. That is the one area where my fully black X falls a little short, but I still love her!!!

Tomorrow is supposed to be great too. Have a safe riding weekend!!

Dancing Bear

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've always liked the Road Kings, but I'm not willing to spend the cash for a name. I would like to try one out sometime though.

G

·
0 Posts
Road Kings are nice looking bikes.

I agree with the physical size of the bikes difference. My 1800R has 5 more inches in wheelbase and that makes a big difference for me at 6' 7".

Here is my "old" 67 FLH....

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I found the same problem with fit on the Victory Vegas, it just feels small.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Good luck with the knee surgery 8)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have a bud that has a highly cutomized Road King "Police Bike".

It is a great looking machine.

Keeps up with me pretty good too.

Road King and Fat Boy are the Harleys I would consider.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Klattu,
I love the look of your handlebars. I've often wished mine came back just a little more. Do you still have free range of movement around the tank? If so, where'd you get them?

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
I've been looking at the RK Custom. I've sat on but not riden one yet of all three of the RK flavors and the custom would be my choice. Feels comfortable and looks awesome. Now if I could just sell my X there may be one sitting in my garage :wink:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Factory

cntrdxn said:
Klattu,
I love the look of your handlebars. I've often wished mine came back just a little more. Do you still have free range of movement around the tank? If so, where'd you get them?
They are the 'stock' bars from a Road King Custom.
RK Custom is a model of bike, not custom bars.
Got then from local Harley dealer during a 10% sell for $75

No tank contact or any type of interfearance.
Thet do pull back very well, enough to remove the riser I had installed.

G

·
0 Posts
RK Custom bars

Hey Klattu,

Like the look of your bike w/ the RK Custom bars! Looks like a more relaxed position, bet they're nice for long trips

Did you have any problems w/ the cables? Did you have to get longer ones?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I looked at a Road King Custom before I got my X. It was interesting that in all of the articles I read about it they said that the bars were horrible. If a number of people agree, you may be able to pick up some that were changed out on one. I'm not sure where you would look, but it might save you a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Tasteful

Funny the way everyone feels so different.

We rented a couple of Harleys from LA to do a Vegas / Lake Havasa loop.
To reserve our bikes we went to local HD to do a 'test' fit.
I had picked out a great looking Road King Classic based on photos only.
It was red with wide white walls and was 'the' bike for me...
Untill I set on the Road King Custom... my hands feel right in place on the grips and the seat height was right on. (goes with Peace Sign)
Back and forth between the two, and had to give up the Classic.
Begged them for some other color, Card Board Brown was the only choice.

I gave up a beauty for a butt ugly brown based on 'feel'

So when we got back, I swapped bars to the Custom.
You are right, they are great for L O N G rides too.
Just got approved for my 'Iron Butt' ride from Key West!
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

No cable problems... all the same ones.
Two things I had to do...
Drill holes on bottom out by grips for starter switch tab and horn switch tab.
HD sells cable route ties that snap into holes already in place for $1 each

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
ISKIVT said:
Good luck with the knee surgery 8)
Ditto on that. I've had seven and still have my own knees. Backing up any grade at all is a killer. Makes me wish Honda put the GL1800 'reverse' on the VTX1800, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts