Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode to MN. to take a demo ride. very interesting.
Questions??? I'll try to answer them....

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK Here it is.

First off I went ther because I have been looking at this bike wondering could this be the one? I know it's a like it or hate it style. but like Crew says. "opinions vary". I walked up to the registration table to check in and ther they were. 15 Victory Visions in all colors and styles gleeming in the sunlight. defineatly WOW! you are give a wrist band and told your band color will be called when it's your time. in the meantime you go over to a Black tour model decked out with all of Victory's accessories. Chrome all over it. Shining in the sunlight just calling you over. photo girl say do you want your picture on it? Sure! can't wait to sit on this thing. throw my leg over and Bam! foot hits shining saddlebag. Woops! Look at it further and realize I'm not the first to do this. I picked it up off the stand and wow was it light. Seat felt comfortable, reach was good, Man it felt right. Get off now and let the next drooler have his turn. We get to browse amongst the demo bikes and wait for our band color to be called.

This is where we really get to study it closely. and we notice little things. First thing we notice is the absence of alot of the chrome "accessories". we see that there is polished wheels on some and plain cast on others. The front forks that were chrome were like chromed rough cast parts. not finished and polished before chroming. All controls seemed within reach but the radio and cruise control buttons just didn't seem to be intigrated into the design, they just seemed to be hung on there. One demo bike I sat on had the key in it so I powered it up and tried to use the power windscreen only to find out later that all bikes have the button but not all bikes have the motor for the windscreen included in the purchase.

The bike had a nice flow to it front to rear (if you like that style). saddlebags and trunk opened with a push of a locking button latch. trunk was huge. it holds two full face helmets if you don't have the cd changer option as this will take up space. the saddle bags however look like they are also huge until you open them up to find that only about half or less of the bag is actual storage. it's mostly body style. they closed with a simple push and most seemed to fit well. I did notice a couple of the bikes that bag lids didn't line up correctly when closed.

Now we get to here a sales pitch about the bike before they tell us to go out and pick one to ride. at this point it's kinda like a bunch of kids at the go cart place trying to get to the one they one. everyone settles in and fires up there bike. I here the familiar fuel pump running before start up and away it starts. stock exhaust is pretty tame like most stock exhaust. there is a white face tach and speedo surrounded with chrome bezels backed by a silver dashboard. windscreen and guages seemed about 3 feet in front of you but were easy to see. there is a digital gear indicator between the guages to let you know where your at. kinda helpful on a unfamiliar bike.

Off we go, bike handled good at all speeds fast and slow. the ride was 20 miles that included highway and two lane, hills and flat. a real good variety of blacktop. We were told to really try out the power in all gears so that's what I did, it had good power but no more than my 1800. the sixth gear was nice, it did move out in overdrive with a twist of the throttle. I think my 1800 is a little faster off the line but the bike is for touring not racing. One thing that really stood out during the ride was it had a lot of driveline lash. lots of play as you coast, then give it throttle. transmission seemed clunky in all gears, vtx clunks into first gear only. the lash and clunkiness is what really dissapointed me. the fairing provided excellent windblock, and if you wanted more air the side wings could be turned in and you got plenty of air blast. the seat was comfy at first but caused me to be looking for my backrest about halfway through the ride do to a slouchy riding postion, power windscreen would be a must for me because I had to look through the non powered screen rather than over it. floorboards were comfortable do to an upward tilt at the front. It's a more natural postion for your foot in a foot forward riding position. the floorboard were nice and big though.

Overall, I wanted to love this bike but it fell short. Looks fell short because of rough finish of "chrome" forks and poor fit of saddlebags.(only some) Driveline fell short with sloppy feel of driveline. I'm probably being critical because the VTX1800 is a great machine to beat. if you don't know any better it might be great, but to spend so much more than a VTX1800 I don't feel it is worth it to me.

Before anyone Blasts me about anything this is my opinion and yours may be different. That's ok with me, Go Buy One! it's a nice bike. just thought some of you might have been curious.

Rick

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Great write up!

It's funny though how different people perceive different things, for example:

I just got a Kingpin, of course I haven't ridden a Vision just yet, but my KP is so much smoother then the jerkyness of the shaft drive on either my old 1800 or my wifes 1300, I probably will never go back to a shaft drive again.

Sounds like you had a different experience all together. Thats why it so great there are so many choices out there, everyone can find the bike that fits them!

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
xspwr said:
Great write up!

It's funny though how different people perceive different things, for example:

I just got a Kingpin, of course I haven't ridden a Vision just yet, but my KP is so much smoother then the jerkyness of the shaft drive on either my old 1800 or my wifes 1300, I probably will never go back to a shaft drive again.

Sounds like you had a different experience all together. Thats why it so great there are so many choices out there, everyone can find the bike that fits them!

Yep, there are alot of differences. As soon as I got my shaft drive, I knew I would never go back to anything else, and the same for my fuel injection, and the water cooled engine, but that new vision, to me is so ugly, I couldnt even sit on it, but the KP is a very good looking bike, though I will say I do like a cruiser look. I to am glad for all the different bikes, we all get a good shot at what we want, and the market is very open to giving most anyone a good start at what they want.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I like the look of the vision. Not a me-too bike. Sorry that the ride fell short of the expectations however, aren't these "proto-type" bikes and they are still working the kinks out? I hope that is the case or this bike may be a bust. Glad I opted for a second X (Retro) to convert into a real touring bike! Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Jon, These bikes are the final design. I think many will love it. It's really nice, it just didn't give me that "this is the one" feeling

Rick

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
That sucks, I was considering one myself. Oh well, back to the fabrication of mounts for my Harley Bags / tour pak.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
May have to test ride one. I like the looks of the street ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts