Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note to Bare for providing, the desmog instructions. Also to Biglry who made great instructions. All went well, almost freaked when I broke the first gasket plate. A Little scary but not bad for a newbie.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Also would like to thank Bare. Hey chisnsav, also broke gasket plate trying to remove reed. I added hi temp-rtv,just wondering if there is any to check to see if plate is leaking.

·
Registered
379 Posts
About to undertake this mod myself this evening. The new Supertrapp Mean Mothers have had a nasty effect on my decel poppppppping and JCheese told me to de-smog her quick. Any suggestions?
Heath, I am across the Sabine from ya, ever get over this way?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
de-smog

I have had the mean mothers on for 2 or 3 weeks now and have had some de-popping. I did the de-smog last night and I didn't notice a big change on the ride in to work this morning. I know I'm gonna try to wrap the baffles to deepen the sound alittle.

Heath if the plate is leaking I think spike said you can here it. Try to get a cigarette from somewhere and see if the smoke gets drawn in.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
chrisnsav said:
Just a quick note to Bare for providing, the desmog instructions. Also to Biglry who made great instructions. All went well, almost freaked when I broke the first gasket plate. A Little scary but not bad for a newbie.
Always glad to help! Not wanting to toot my own horn really, but Biglry came up with the mod originally - it was about a page long - I revamped the entire thing into what it is now. Again, I'm not trying to take anything away from Biglry as he knows more about the X than most anyone I've spoken to, I just want to let folks know because it was a lot of work and everyone seems to think I just cut and pasted it... :wink:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Chris, what type of wrap are you going to use on the baffles? To be honest, even with the baffles that I paid extra for, it is still a bit loud in the neighborhood and has the tinty sound until you get on it. I have heard others say that the V&H baffles will fit and do the trick. Before spending more money, I like the thought of what you said by wrapping the baf's. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Make sure to change the exhaust gasket if you change pipes. They are crush gaskets and can only be used once.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Bareass172 said:
chrisnsav said:
, I just want to let folks know because it was a lot of work and everyone seems to think I just cut and pasted it... :wink:
Now who would ever accuse you of that...just kidding. :p I too have read your write-up several times...good stuff!

D

·
0 Posts
I cracked one of mine too and sealed it as you did,I bet there is a few more guys doing the same.I am sure it will work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll shout out a thank you too. Bare and Biglry, thanks, to anyone about to try this mod, grab that screw head with vice grips, it breaks off easily in your hands and you won't break the gasket palet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I did do the smoke test,no draw in.I did get lot decel popping before--Didn't seal old plates well, i installed plates,much better.Just trying to ease my mind, put broken (glued) plate in.Wondering if i would get decel pop with slight leak.Thanks for help.

Fatback,I don't get over there to much. I will be going to Galveston rally this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts