Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks before leaving for Key West, I realize that my tires are shot.... and I mean shot. Cord showing on the rear. I got 11000 out of my Avons but it was time for them to go. With only two weeks before departure, and one of those weeks I was going to be in Nashville on business, I was kinda panicking. I called the small independent that ordered and mounted my first set of Venoms only to find out they had closed. Next, I called my local dealer.

Them: Honda of Knoxville
Me: Service, please....
Them: Hold please..... Service
Me: I need a set of Avon Venoms for my '04 1300C... can you help me out?
Them: We don't carry Avons, but I can transfer you to parts and they can order them for you.
Me: Great... If I order them, what will it cost me for you to mount 'em?
Them: It's an '04 1300C?.... That'll be $225, plus an extra $1 each tire for the stem.
Me (incredulous): $225 just to mount and balance 2 tires?
Them: The book on that is 1.5 hours per wheel... sometime it takes us longer than that, depending on the tire.
Me: .... click ....

My next call was to "cyclegear" where I was informed that they could order the tires and have them within 5 days, and that they could install them, but only if the wheels are OFF the bike. Cost? $20 per wheel... including valve stems. "Order 'em" I says.

Using the ever popular "search" funtion, I found bareasschoppers.com, and there, under "rear wheel removal" I found what I needed. I call my riding buddy, give him the list of tools provided by bareass, and asked him if he could bring his jack if I bought the Fosters and provided the air-conditioned garage. The following weekend, only 6 days before blastoff, Don shows up with tools and his jack. At 7:00, we opened our first Fosters, rolled the X up onto two by fours, slid the jack under and got started. While I pulled up bareass's site for the step by step, Don removed the front wheel. At 7:30, we opened our second Fosters..... WE WERE DONE!! That's way too easy, I thought, or the installation MUST be a f'n bear. Monday evening, I picked up my newly mounted and balanced tires, and met Don at the house again. This time he brought his 16 year old. While I lubed the rear axle and splines, he and his boy reinstalled the front wheel. Then we tackled the rear. Within 20 minutes we had reinstalled the rear wheel. That's right.... two jack-legs, crawling around on a garage floor, reading directions as we went, removed and reinstalled two wheel in one third the time it takes trained mechanics with years of experience and all the right tools. Yeah, right. What a rip-off. Bottom line.... don't ever pay somebody else to remove your wheels.... EVER!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree. The first time I thought that this can't be easy. How wrong I was. First time out I had the rear wheel off in less than 10 min. and all I could do was shake my head. If you want to pay someone to remove the rear wheel on your bike call me, I'll be glad to take your money. LOL. It's that easy for those of you that havn't done it yet! Oh, and yes, Bare is the man! Living in the New Orleans area I know him personally and you couldn't find a better person to help you with your ride.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Picked-up a roofing nail at 8000 miles in my rear tire last fall. Called the shops and for what they wanted to remove and replace I decided to go buy a motorcycle jack. Just recently had to replace the original Dunny on the front after 14000 miles and once again I too went to bareasschoppers for help. So, the way I see it, the two changes have already paid for the jack. Glad you change out went so well. Makes ya feel good doesn't it? Have a safe business trip and enjoy the tires.

·
Registered
735 Posts
red-x-rider said:
Jiabob said:
Are you talking about the Cycle Gear at Cedar Bluff near the Puleos?
That's the place.. ordered the tires and mounted them for 20 bucks each..
I didn't realize they would mount tires in there. I guess I just missed the garage part. I will keep them in mind next time I need tires. Thanks!

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
My MC jack and the PepsX stand have been the best two tools I've bought for the bike. Even with me working at an MC shop I wouldn't trade my stand for anything. Makes working on it a breeze, stable and just the right height for anything I want to do too. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts