Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My company helped out with restoring power to the areas hit by the 2004 hurricanes. I thought some of you might find the following info kinda eye opening.

AEP assistance after Florida hurricanes recognized

AEP has been recognized by Florida Power & Light (FPL) for its restoration assistance after three devastating hurricanes that hit FPL service territory last year.

Hurricanes Charley, Frances and Jeanne steamrolled through Florida in rapid succession in August and September 2004, resulting in some 35 deaths, billions of dollars of damage and millions of customers without power.

Due to the efforts of an army of utility and contract workers, including AEP crews from across the AEP System, restoration was completed after each storm in less than two weeks, without major safety incidents to AEP crews or the public.

The season´s fourth major hurricane to strike the U.S. mainland, Ivan, hit Alabama in September. Hundreds of AEP and contract employees also responded to that storm, assisting Southern Co.

According to FPL, assisting utility and contract crews came from 39 states and Canada, from as far away as California and Quebec, to assist in hurricane restoration. The combined total of assisting employees from all utilities for all three storms numbered 21,900, according to FPL. FPL employees responding numbered 22,500.

FPL´s infrastructure damage from the three storms included 93 substations, 2,010 miles of conductor, 11,510 transformers and 13,380 poles. Damage was also sustained to several power plants. The most destructive hurricane season in the company´s history affected virtually every part of FPL´s 27,000-square mile service territory, disrupting electric service to 5.4 million customers. About 75 percent, or 3.1 million of its 4.2 million customers, were affected by at least one event, according to FPL´s website.

Hurricane Charley
Landfall: Punta Gorda, Fla., Aug. 13, 2004
Top wind speed: 140 mph (Category 4)
Charley struck 22 counties in Florida with hurricane force winds over a 60-mile-wide corridor; 20 hours of impact.
U.S. deaths: 25
Property damage: $14 billion (second costliest hurricane in U.S. history)
Power outages: 874,000 (FPL), 502,000 (Progress Energy), 78,000 (Tampa Electric)
Restoration work essentially completed in 13 days (FPL)
AEP assistance (to FPL, Tampa Electric, Progress Energy): 344 company employees, 300 contract line employees, 300 contract vegetation management employees

Hurricane Frances
Landfall: Stuart, Fla., Sept. 5, 2004
Top wind speed: over 105 mph (Category 2)
Frances, a massive storm, covered the entire state of Florida -- 35 counties and 27,000 square miles were affected by hurricane-force winds over a 145-mile-wide corridor. Slow movement resulted in impact over a 60-hour period.
U.S. deaths: 6
Property damage: $9 billion
Power outages: 2.8 million (FPL), 832,898 (Progress Energy), 268,000 (Tampa Electric)
Restoration work essentially completed in 12 days (FPL)
AEP assistance (to FPL): 393 company employees, 149 contract line employees, 272 contract vegetation management employees

Hurricane Ivan
Landfall: near Gulf Shores, Ala., Sept. 16, 2004
Top wind speed: 120 mph (Category 3)
Ivan struck the northern Gulf Coast, spawning deadly tornadoes and causing major damage, including the collapse of a section of the I-10 bridge in Pensacola, Fla. Heavy rains caused severe flooding throughout the South.
U.S. deaths: at least 12
Property damage: $13 billion
Power outages: 826,000 (Alabama Power), 365,000 (Gulf Power) 96,000 (Progress Energy)
Restoration work essentially completed in 8 days (Southern Co.)
AEP assistance (to Southern Co.): 262 company employees, 123 contract line employees, 160 contract vegetation management employees

Hurricane Jeanne
Landfall: Stuart, Fla., Sept. 25, 2004
Top wind speed: 125 mph (Category 3)
Jeanne weakened just before it struck, but damaged areas already impacted by Frances. Hurricane-force winds extended over a 125-mile-wide corridor, 45 hours of impact.
U.S. deaths: 4
Property damage: $6.9 billion
Power outages: 1.7 million (FPL) 722,000 (Progress Energy), 285,000 (Tampa Electric)
Restoration work essentially completed in 8 days (FPL)
AEP assistance (to FPL, Progress Energy, Tampa Electric): 280 company employees, 47 contract line employees, 120 contract vegetation management employees.

I'm glad my company was able to help those people in need last year. I've been in the middle of that type of work down in Texas in years past. It sure makes you feel good to help neighboring areas get thier power back after a major outage.

Tejas

·
Registered
313 Posts
??

What's AEP ?

(I gather it's a utilty or co-op, but remember, the initials mean nothing internationally.)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
American Electric Power. 11 electric utilities that are across 13 states

Tejas

·
Registered
54 Posts
huricanes

Iwork for Appalachian Power Co. in Beckley W.Va. I did not come to Florida but some of the guys i work with went down to help out and they said they had never seen anything like the damage from those storms By the way APCO is a subsidary of AEP

·
Registered
313 Posts
All Righty, then . . .

A tip of the hat to American Electric Power and all the other folks who did the impossible after so many disasters in a row.

Those of us sitting on our backsides while these workers are up on a wet pole or tower while the wind is still blowing near gale force owe them a big debt of gratitude.

Put it this way, riding in the rain, set your X's cruise control at 30mph then stand up on the tank and try to attach a clamp to a 50' piece of one-inch steel cable. Oh yeah, have somebody throw branches at you and have them shoot lightning bolts at you, too.

I never complain if it takes a while to restore power.

Well done, AEP and all the rest.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Linemen are the best!!! Well, maybe I'm a little prejudice on the subject, but it is nice to see people appreciate your work.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Some of my favorite people in the world - the crew from Louisiana that fixed the problem with the transformer and reset the breaker on the line that fed power to our block.

After the third hurricane and the third time with no power...................

I am rather fond of linemen :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I worked IVAN. We ended up in Milton, Florida, near Pensacola. I have worked quite a few storms, but have NEVER seen that much devastation. The people were glad to see us and treated us well. I will NEVER forget that one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the help

I live in Port Charlotte and got my ass kicked by Charlie (VTX made it thru with no damage) I could not belive how fast and well all the power companies worked to get power up again. Too all you guys that helped out THANKS for everything.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
hurricanes

as a central fl. native thanks go out to all who came to our aid. lived in florida for about 35yrs. never saw a season like the last one. thanks to all,mike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts