Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sears jack, 2nd one, and am confident, once I get my bike up on it, it will not let me have my bike back.
So, researching and watching videos.
I see some have this low flat jack that would go under the bike.
I am not sure, but I think it would go under my bike and I would not have to go up on 2x6's to get a jack under it.

The questions is, what one would you get?
TYVM

·
Super Moderator
64,789 Posts
You're on your 3rd? Buy a real motorcycle lift at this point. All those small type Sears and Torin and Horror Fright are listed as ATV/motorcycle lifts. I got rid of my Sears and got PitBull lift and it was the best money I spent. They are gone, but it's now back under a new name. Same lift from what I see on the site, wide stance, low low height so it easily slides under and frame even under my lowered Ultra and you don't have to hold the bike to put it on the lift.

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep Spike, 3rd. I always had a shop work on it. found I can fix their screw ups, so I can also now work on my bike. TY for the Jack MFR.
Yep get a good one.

·
Old Goat
26,941 Posts
As usual spike on point….having said that I have Kobalt (lowes) that has given me 16 years faithful service….I also have a HF atv stand same story…good luck on your choice..

Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
My props for 'Horror Fright'. Thats all I've had for 11 years now. Mine did as it was intended. Until I built my own 2 x 4 scrap stand, the jack supported the bike by itself for 4-5 months every winter, in a cold barn, for 3, maybe 4 years. I normally park the bike with the KS on a square piece of 2 x 10. This gives me enough clearance to roll the HF lift/ jack under the frame. I'm satisfied enough with mine.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen 2x4 versions, and I lost my plans for a 4x4 version. I not be welder. did u just build it wide enough to clear jack. how tall?

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
I have seen 2x4 versions, and I lost my plans for a 4x4 version. I not be welder. did u just build it wide enough to clear jack. how tall?
Here's what you'll need: A saw, preferably a circular, and not hand saw. A cordless drill, box of 2-1/2 or 3" screws (get the hex socket ones), the hex bit comes with the screws, a tape measure, a Sharpie, a pile of 2 x 4 scraps ( I never throw anything away), a lot of measuring, and measure again, then cut, screw, re-inforce with other 2 x 4's, and voila, 2 hrs. later, something that will take the weight and stay together for years. PS, I'm no carpenter, but am kinda handy with tools and have lived in the same house I helped build for 44 years. I can make repairs to almost anything, but I hate electrical. Plumbing second. The jack has rollers, so you have to notch the bottom after taking more measurements so the jack will go through. I've seen some plans for 2 x 4 stands, and mine is probably a little bigger than needed. With the bike on the jack fully raised, take a measurement of height off the floor from the bottom of the frame rails, as these are the points it sits on the jack or stand. . Subtract maybe 1/2" for an uneven floor, that will be the height of the stand. PS a little bit of 'search' feature will scare up actual plans for some of the stands. Unless someone is kind enough to supply a link for you. GL

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have one of the yellow sears jacks about 15yrs it was very versatile with the X. On the side stand you pulled it a little upright for the jack to go under. Did ALL sorts of maintenance on it. Lost the pic but at the same time took the front end off to do steering bearings and progressive shocks and on the rear a new tire and rack with aux gas tank. Both front and rear were off the bike at the same time. Like all of them it locks so impossible to come back down. Would raise and lock it, cover the bike, and push it against the wall for winter storage, stores smaller perfectly upright. Lighting in my garage isn't even so if needed I'd spin the bike 180 for better light and move it out of the way to work on later. Still use it for other things.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
Mine's nowhere near as trophy-worthy as that. It just works.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine's nowhere near as trophy-worthy as that. It just works.
LOL..... AH, the power of the mind.....
Mine is currently on my Sears Jack, locked at first lock, and pressure released and 2x6's under wheels.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
231 Posts
Yeah, and even my “horror freight” jack allows me to tie-down the bike to the jack and then I put a 2 x 4 under the scissor part to wedge it up if it’s going to be there for an extended period. It also has a lock so that it’s not held up only by the hydraulics but I don’t like that as much as placing two by fours or four by fours Inside the scissor of the jack as well as under the wheels.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
End of the day its all about what works….and keeps the bike safe…good luck
Yes, Safe, beings I hadn't lifted the bike for many years, I had the WYFY and dog for for a walk. That way, if'n it was on the ground, I could only be mad at myself.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yeah, and even my “horror freight” jack allows me to tie-down the bike to the jack and then I put a 2 x 4 under the scissor part to wedge it up if it’s going to be there for an extended period. It also has a lock so that it’s not held up only by the hydraulics but I don’t like that as much as placing two by fours or four by fours under it
Going to do that, TYVM for the insight.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, i've been extra fortunate I guess. I've had an aluminum sears motorcycle jack that has worked well for over 15 years. I've used it on two different VTX1800F's and it's still working great.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You're on your 3rd? Buy a real motorcycle lift at this point. All those small type Sears and Torin and Horror Fright are listed as ATV/motorcycle lifts. I got rid of my Sears and got PitBull lift and it was the best money I spent. They are gone, but it's now back under a new name. Same lift from what I see on the site, wide stance, low low height so it easily slides under and frame even under my lowered Ultra and you don't have to hold the bike to put it on the lift.
I’ll second the J&S jacks recommendation. I ordered mine right before the pandemic hit and it understandably took a while to get. Had an issue with the hydraulic jack and they replaced it for free. In some other post I said some negative things about them, but in the end they did me right. Good company and the lift is one of the best out there. My Sears lift handled my VTX no problem, but I didn’t trust it for my 963 pound Star Transcontinental Venture. They’re pricey, but it’ll probably be the last one you’ll ever have to buy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts