Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just saying, except for vertical posts, 4x4 is overkill.
I have a fear of this baby falling on the floor.
Gonna attempt building one today.
Since I have one shock with no bushings.
And I want to do the brakes tomorrow.
PEACE

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Okay, spent some time today.
Built me a bike stand. I guess next time I need to measure the width of my jack.
Plenty of room.
3.5 inch screws.
6 total boards here: 1 2x4 cut to 20.5' x 4, then I took some scrap and cut 2 more to length.
4 total boards here: 1 4x4 cut to 20.5" x 4.
1 scrap 2x6 cut to 26" x 2.
4 1/2 rebar ground to under height of boards 11.5".
Screw loosely to fit.
Drill hoses with paddle bit.
Layout, as assembling, used gorilla wood glue to bond together while screwing them.
I pounded in rebar.
I have a tread step to go on top but was eager to get the bike on it while wyfy was gone.
So, here is my result. I am happy.
Wheel Wood Cabinetry Automotive tire Natural material

Automotive tire Wood Vehicle Hood Bumper

Wood Bumper Table Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Flooring Floor

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Wood Hardwood Automotive exterior Lumber Flooring

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
Okay, spent some time today.
Built me a bike stand. I guess next time I need to measure the width of my jack.
Plenty of room.
3.5 inch screws.
6 total boards here: 1 2x4 cut to 20.5' x 4, then I took some scrap and cut 2 more to length.
4 total boards here: 1 4x4 cut to 20.5" x 4.
1 scrap 2x6 cut to 26" x 2.
4 1/2 rebar ground to under height of boards 11.5".
Screw loosely to fit.
Drill hoses with paddle bit.
Layout, as assembling, used gorilla wood glue to bond together while screwing them.
I pounded in rebar.
I have a tread step to go on top but was eager to get the bike on it while wyfy was gone.
So, here is my result. I am happy.
View attachment 209151
View attachment 209150
View attachment 209152
View attachment 209149
View attachment 209147
View attachment 209148
Under the kickstand side, at the bottom, if your jack has wheels it might need a couple cutouts for them to protrude through, maybe not, if you made it wide enough. I measured mine enough and cut enough that I needed that extra couple inches to center the jack, so made the little cutouts with a Sawzall. No biggie.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Under the kickstand side, at the bottom, if your jack has wheels it might need a couple cutouts for them to protrude through, maybe not, if you made it wide enough. I measured mine enough and cut enough that I needed that extra couple inches to center the jack, so made the little cutouts with a Sawzall. No biggie.
I have an older Sears Jack, I raised the 2 x 6 1.5 inches, but my jack happened to be flush.
I do have sawzall, and jig saw, and some fancy Dewalt giant dremel (purchased for demo on wyfy's bathroom). HAHAHA
I am happy, I made something that works.
Besides that, the 20.5" is more than adequate for the underside of bike.
I will be marking with tape where jack goes, need to move it back about 1.5".
This has become my HOLY GRAIL.... (yes, more Monty Python than Indiana Jones, Insert Bicycle Repair Man.....
My goal is next year be riding this properly. Waiting on shocks, but now I can finish building my ramps. Me and KREG are gonna have some fun.
Then open rear reservoir and empty some fluid and remove rear pads and clean caliper.
Already bleed, so I know it works.
I know the size may be overkill, I am also going to get locking castors, and add a locking board on jack side for winter storage.
Just need to see how tall my jack goes.
I am at 11.5 right now wo wheels.
Man, I really enjoy this bike, have for over 20 years.
Wyfy even commented on how she misses riding.
YEAH BABY.... Those are RIDING WORDS>...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts