Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i need some help.I get to highway speeds and i get a headache. The wind rattles my little pea brain and blurs my vision. I am wondering if adding the lower deflectors will cure this problem.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't have lowers and have no buffeting ay all. I would try adjusting my windsheild

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
They helped tremendously for me. Still get some breeze, but not that head-rattling kind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Buffeting

Can I assume you already have a windshield? I had an 85 Goldwing that had a tall widshield, and of course the full fairing. I never got knocked around on that. My 07 VStar just had a regular size windshield, and wind would come up from below and hit me in the face. Not to bad, just annoying at times. I solved that placing a larger toolbag between the windshield and the forks. It worked. I must add I went with a quality full coverage helmet also. That kept all the wind from making my eyes tear. My 1800N has no windshield and I drove it home from the dealers(highway speed) about 20 miles. Of course I was wearing my Shoei at the time. The bike is heavy, and I'm 235lbs so it does not feel like it gets moved around a bit like the VStar sometimes did. I have some short helmets that don't see as much use as before when I was younger. My favorite is this old german one that was done over and refurbished, and I'll sometimes wear that around town(it's cool). That being said, modern full coverage helmets are on my head 95% of the time(no eye problems now). Sorry if I went off topic a little there, JMHO.8)

·
Registered
146 Posts
After riding wife's c50, that has almost no wind buffering, I realized how bad it is on my 1800. What kind of lowers look and work best with a switch blade 2 up on a R3. A Harley friend sugested lowers when he first saw my bike. :dontknow:

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had the same problem, air shakin my melon. I noticed that when I put my hand out the air was coming from below the windshield, shooting upwards. Put some memphis shades lowers on and...no more problem.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I have lowers on all of my bikes that have windshields.

Some work better than others.

My '07 VStar 1300 with Switchblade 2-up windshield and the National Cycle chrome lowers worked perfectly. Believe it or not, even less buffeting that I get from my Gold Wing - which is very little.

I have a windshield and lowers on an '08 Fat Boy and it's buffeting the $&%#! out of me. I see a taller windshield in my future......

:dontknow:

Picked up an "N" in January and added the NC Switchblade 2-up windshield and have put roughly 600 miles on it. Pretty decent. However, I did just order the NC chrome lowers, hoping to reduce the amount of air that comes up from under.

Much depends on your height. I look thru my windshield, but can turtle-neck to look over it. This height (for me) provides the best protection. The lowers take out another 75% or so of the extraneous wind and buffeting. If you're looking over your windshield than you're typically going to have more buffeting - depending on where you are in relation to the "dirty" air stream.

I never really understood the buffeting thing and how finiky the adjustment can be until I owned an FJR1300 with that electric adjustable windshield. It was a real eye opener (pun intended).

It's amazing what an inch one way or another will do for you. Windshield angle also contributes.

Then you'll get a day with switchy crosswinds and it'll beat the #&@*^ out of you on a hard day's ride.

Bottom line: Get the lowers. They WILL help. After that, play around with windshield adjustment (up/down/angle) to get the best performance.

·
Registered
9,508 Posts
I also had terrible buffeting. I started with a MS 21" shield and at 70 MPH my head felt like it was in a paint can shaker. I tried angling the shield on all planes and that did not help. I tried lowers and it helped a little but the shaking made long rides miserable. I cut the shield down 3"s and that helped more than anything.

There were several issues I found interesting...

With a full face helmet I had no issues. With no helmet I had no issues. Only my half hat bothered me.

I have since put a fairing on the bike and it is perfect, no issues with or without a helmet at any speed.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Ok i need some help.I get to highway speeds and i get a headache. The wind rattles my little pea brain and blurs my vision. I am wondering if adding the lower deflectors will cure this problem.

I think it would be prudent to ask how tall he is, how tall the windshield is, bike, type of helm.. first. I dont have lowers and Im fine..

Full Face
1300R
6'1"
MS Fats 21"
No Lowers
Very little buffeting with windshield adjusted.

-Gonz

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Lowers don't always fix the problem, sometimes it just reduces it to tolerable.

Like others have said, more info is needed, drivers height, windshields height & type, helmet, etc....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had several bikes, all Hondas except for a Kawaski dirt bike many years ago. I just bought my 1800T Friday and I love the bike. However I have never had anything with as much buffeting as I am getting. The air is coming right off my knees and straigt up. Yesterday I was trying to decide where the main problem was. I discovered if I took my left arm and layed it across my chest, just below breast height, it all but elemintated the issue, Obviously that is not a solution but it did help me determine that the air coming up in front of my knees was the problem.
Now, what lowers do I buy, I have got to have something that will help, I am leaning towards the Hondaline, who has them and do they help. :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I also had terrible buffeting. I started with a MS 21" shield and at 70 MPH my head felt like it was in a paint can shaker. I tried angling the shield on all planes and that did not help. I tried lowers and it helped a little but the shaking made long rides miserable. I cut the shield down 3"s and that helped more than anything.

There were several issues I found interesting...

With a full face helmet I had no issues. With no helmet I had no issues. Only my half hat bothered me.

I have since put a fairing on the bike and it is perfect, no issues with or without a helmet at any speed.

I think there is something to (to tall a windshield). It seems they create even more turbulence and drag.
With a 12" on the Fairing vs. the 7" it felt like more turbulence and drag. Switched back to the 7" and even though there is a little buffeting on the top of my helmet (in a no helmet state I don't feel it on the top of my head) the ride is or feels more solid at speed. So much so I will probably leave the 7" in place and let the little buffeting be a compromise.
Someone posted (it's all very touchy) and it is just that.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Yes Lowers will help. Here are mine.

That said, its all about position of the windshield to create the proper windflow.

If your getting buffeting really bad, try first lowering the angle (towards your bike) of the windshield a bit. Then try increasing its angle (away from rider) to make it taller and more flat. See if that helps.

If its a smaller windshield, you might have to lower the angle so the wind will rise over it and flow into your head. If you angle a smaller shield (and bigger one as well) more upright, to cover a broader area, the wind eddys around creating lots of turbulence circling behind the shield (IE your back, and head), ever wonder why sometimes you can get bugs stuck on the back of your jacket? This is why.

Remember, the shield wants to lay flat for the least resistance.

Its easier to see than to explain.

Look at this crudely drawn example I just quickly drew up.

Black = Sheild Position
Yellow = Air Flow

Shield too 'high', lots of buffeting immediatley behind sheild.

Sheild too low, less resistance and buffeting, but also less wind protection (defeating the point of the shield)

You have to find a good medium that will not create too much turbulence immediately behind the shield (on you), and giving the air a more efficient (less turbulent) route to travel over/past you. In the middle pic, the rider has good protection, and, the air flows at least PAST his head before starting to eddy around. This is what you are looking to achieve. However, variables such as Rider Height, Seating position, Windshield height, and bike type (or placement on forks) make that perfect combination different for everyone.

Also note, if you are riding two up, your 'perfect position' may put excess buffeting on the passenger behind you. You very well might have to adjust it for the passenger as well.

Just Sayin'

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
9,508 Posts
Yes Lowers will help. Here are mine.

That said, its all about position of the windshield to create the proper windflow.

If your getting buffeting really bad, try first lowering the angle (towards your bike) of the windshield a bit. Then try increasing its angle (away from rider) to make it taller and more flat. See if that helps.

If its a smaller windshield, you might have to lower the angle so the wind will rise over it and flow into your head. If you angle a smaller shield (and bigger one as well) more upright, to cover a broader area, the wind eddys around creating lots of turbulence circling behind the shield (IE your back, and head), ever wonder why sometimes you can get bugs stuck on the back of your jacket? This is why.

Remember, the shield wants to lay flat for the least resistance.

Its easier to see than to explain.

Look at this crudely drawn example I just quickly drew up.

Black = Sheild Position
Yellow = Air Flow

Shield too 'high', lots of buffeting immediatley behind sheild.

Sheild too low, less resistance and buffeting, but also less wind protection (defeating the point of the shield)

You have to find a good medium that will not create too much turbulence immediately behind the shield (on you), and giving the air a more efficient (less turbulent) route to travel over/past you. In the middle pic, the rider has good protection, and, the air flows at least PAST his head before starting to eddy around. This is what you are looking to achieve. However, variables such as Rider Height, Seating position, Windshield height, and bike type (or placement on forks) make that perfect combination different for everyone.

Also note, if you are riding two up, your 'perfect position' may put excess buffeting on the passenger behind you. You very well might have to adjust it for the passenger as well.

Just Sayin'

:mrgreen:
The wind that was kicking my head around was coming from the sides of my tank. It was running up my chest and hitting the lip on my half hat. Angling the shield did nothing and for some reason the lowers did very little for me.

Cutting the screen down helped more than anything else, well, except the fairing.

·
Registered
824 Posts
After riding wife's c50, that has almost no wind buffering, I realized how bad it is on my 1800. What kind of lowers look and work best with a switch blade 2 up on a R3. A Harley friend sugested lowers when he first saw my bike. :dontknow:[/QUOTE

I have the NC Switchblade 2up and NC lowers, they pretty much stop the buffeting but the lowers push air directly at the grips making for cold hands:mad:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts