Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't think there is any angle or height adjustment on the factory 1800T
windshield. I can use my hand to find the air flow. The windhield is directing it above my helmet. It is clear as I said earlier and the previous poster also said, the strong airflow is coming up right in front of your knees at the sides of the gas tank. No doubt for me. I just want to know if anyone has had any help with the Hondaline deflector. :?:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Learned alot

Yes Lowers will help. Here are mine.

That said, its all about position of the windshield to create the proper windflow.

If your getting buffeting really bad, try first lowering the angle (towards your bike) of the windshield a bit. Then try increasing its angle (away from rider) to make it taller and more flat. See if that helps.

If its a smaller windshield, you might have to lower the angle so the wind will rise over it and flow into your head. If you angle a smaller shield (and bigger one as well) more upright, to cover a broader area, the wind eddys around creating lots of turbulence circling behind the shield (IE your back, and head), ever wonder why sometimes you can get bugs stuck on the back of your jacket? This is why.

Remember, the shield wants to lay flat for the least resistance.

Its easier to see than to explain.

Look at this crudely drawn example I just quickly drew up.

Black = Sheild Position
Yellow = Air Flow

Shield too 'high', lots of buffeting immediatley behind sheild.

Sheild too low, less resistance and buffeting, but also less wind protection (defeating the point of the shield)

You have to find a good medium that will not create too much turbulence immediately behind the shield (on you), and giving the air a more efficient (less turbulent) route to travel over/past you. In the middle pic, the rider has good protection, and, the air flows at least PAST his head before starting to eddy around. This is what you are looking to achieve. However, variables such as Rider Height, Seating position, Windshield height, and bike type (or placement on forks) make that perfect combination different for everyone.

Also note, if you are riding two up, your 'perfect position' may put excess buffeting on the passenger behind you. You very well might have to adjust it for the passenger as well.

Just Sayin'

:mrgreen:
This is very helpful. It gives me a direction to go with a solution thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
factory equipment

Bingo we have another winner.

I also have a adjustable shield & brackets with no buffeting at all without lowers.

If you have a fixed shield & or a fixed brackets (quick release),
dumb move IMO.

You will need lowers.
Yes this is a fixed shield. It came like that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just ordered them

windshield. I can use my hand to find the air flow. The windhield is directing it above my helmet. It is clear as I said earlier and the previous poster also said, the strong airflow is coming up right in front of your knees at the sides of the gas tank. No doubt for me. I just want to know if anyone has had any help with the Hondaline deflector. :?:
I just went online and ordered the hondaline lowers. I will et you know how it works out

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Answers

I think it would be prudent to ask how tall he is, how tall the windshield is, bike, type of helm.. first. I dont have lowers and Im fine..

Full Face
1300R
6'1"
MS Fats 21"
No Lowers
Very little buffeting with windshield adjusted.

-Gonz
6 ft tall and factory shield i guess 19 in. And the bike is 1800T all stock

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
A friend has the exact same setup as mine, same size memphis shades windshield and we couldn't figure why mine was smooth and his would beat your head until it was numb. Then it dawned on him that the problem started when he installed the hard bags. He put on the lowers and it is better, but not fixed.:dontknow: sb

·
Registered
415 Posts
Something else to consider: I had a 21 in MS shield on with lowers and had buffetting still. Called MS and they sent me some saeng window edging. It is black but is grooved so it wraps around the edge of the windshield. It angles the wind up and over and made such a noticeable difference that I removed the lowers and still no buffetting. I now have a fairing so no need for the shield with the edging on it.

Ride safe. I can't yet because of the 8" of snow the other day.

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
Ok i need some help.I get to highway speeds and i get a headache. The wind rattles my little pea brain and blurs my vision. I am wondering if adding the lower deflectors will cure this problem.
YES,....as well,...set the windshield to a height that allows you to gaze just over. Don't tilt it too much either.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
windshield. I can use my hand to find the air flow. The windshield is directing it above my helmet. It is clear as I said earlier and the previous poster also said, the strong airflow is coming up right in front of your knees at the sides of the gas tank. No doubt for me. I just want to know if anyone has had any help with the Hondaline deflector. :?:

I agree whole heartily on this. I've done a bit of experimenting with the buffeting issue and found that MOST of the buffeting comes from below hitting the tank and your knees and then up into your face. Yes you do get some from over the top of your windshield. The degree of buffeting over the top will depend on how tall you are.
There is another deflector made that attach's to the windshield but I can't seem to remember what the name is. It's an odd configuration that attach's to the outside of an existing windshield about 6-8 inches below the existing wind shield.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have had several bikes, all Hondas except for a Kawaski dirt bike many years ago. I just bought my 1800T Friday and I love the bike. However I have never had anything with as much buffeting as I am getting. The air is coming right off my knees and straigt up. Yesterday I was trying to decide where the main problem was. I discovered if I took my left arm and layed it across my chest, just below breast height, it all but elemintated the issue, Obviously that is not a solution but it did help me determine that the air coming up in front of my knees was the problem.
Now, what lowers do I buy, I have got to have something that will help, I am leaning towards the Hondaline, who has them and do they help. :dontknow:
Don't waste your money on the Hondaline lowers, they are too small to help much. Memphis Shades lowers are well made and relatively cheap.
I switched my Hondaline lowers for the Mem. Shds, much better wind protection and no buffeting to speak of.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't waste your money on the Hondaline lowers, they are too small to help much. Memphis Shades lowers are well made and relatively cheap.
I switched my Hondaline lowers for the Mem. Shds, much better wind protection and no buffeting to speak of.
Read my latest post!!!!! I may not order any lowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Cheapozilla
2,579 Posts
my .02 from reading on here - Lowers may solve your problem....the keyword is "may"

I used to get a lot of buffetting with NC 2-up - then I switched to the NC Deflector, after finding the right angle (took a couple of rides) I have no issues. Same HJC FF, height, weight, etc and yes no lowers.

It will be a process of elimination - let us know how it works out - Good Luck !

·
Registered
120 Posts
Read my latest post!!!!! I may not order any lowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't seem to find a solution in any of your posts. I just installed the same windshield you have on my "N" and have buffeting. I did make brackets to change the angle about 7/8" but it didn't fix the problem. Did you figure out a solution?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I don't seem to find a solution in any of your posts. I just installed the same windshield you have on my "N" and have buffeting. I did make brackets to change the angle about 7/8" but it didn't fix the problem. Did you figure out a solution?

Thanks
I believe his helmet made the difference.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Added the lowers today

I added the Hondaline lowers today. They went on easy. I notice the difference big time. I would say about 65 percent better air deflection. I paid 127 bucs at the local dealer. Worth the money i think.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts