Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We see a lot of questions get asked over and over and over here. So I got bored and wrote up a list with what I recall as the most common questions and the most common answers.

1. What fuel should I run? 87 Octane in the US. Higher than that provides no real benefit.

2. What’s the widest rear tire I can fit on a stock C rim? 170 or 180 in reality. You can fit wider on there but it pinches the tire and won’t look any wider from behind.

3. When should I do the valve check? When the owners manual says you should.

4. Is it normal for my bike to make a loud clunk when I shift from 1st to 2nd? Yes. Totally normal. Some say synthetic oil after the break-in period helps but doesn’t eliminate this noise.

5. Is $XXXX a good price for a bike? That depends on what part of the country you live in. The further west you go the higher the price of the bikes. It’d be best to go to the state boards and ask people in your area.

6. If I change my pipes do I have to re-jet? You shouldn’t need to re-jet if you only change out your exhaust pipes. If you make changes to your air box then you will need to re-jet.

7. What is the best brand of tire to put on my bike? That one’s subject to a lot of debate but the common tires are Metzler or Avon.

8. What is the “Darkside”? Some people have been experimenting with using a car tire on the back of the bike instead of a bike tire because the tires are cheaper and last many more miles. To date it appears to be well liked by all who try it and seems to offer little or no degradation in performance or handling.

9. Why does the left side of my front tire wear more than the right side? From PepsX: road crown accounts for a minor strip of wear just left of center maybe 1/8 to 3/16" (WAG) the rest is from the way we take left hand turns at intersections. a bigger radius at faster speed than a slow right hand turn. We have more lean angle since we are going faster to turn left and that creates more wear force on the tire. If i remember right, road crown is only about 7 deg angle. if you lay your bike over to where the wear strip makes contact with the ground, the bike is almost at a 45 deg. and ive never been on a road with 45 deg crown.

10. What changes will be made for the 20XX model year? Until Honda releases that information we won’t know. People like to speculate a lot but Honda will tell us in or around September.

11. Which aftermarket pipes are the best? They all have their followings and the major names all make a good product. Bubs Jug Huggers appear to be the most popular here although HardKrome and Vance & Hines are both fairly common as well.

12. What is the Clayton mod? It’s a minor modification to your stock exhaust pipes. You take a drill bit that’s about ½ inch and drill a number of holes in the back of your exhaust plate. This creates a louder and deeper exhaust note for the bike. Most folks find that this is a nice stop-gap between stock pipes and after market pipes but eventually switch to some type of after market exhaust.

13. What is Plasti-Chrome? It’s the chrome colored plastic that makes up a majority of the covers on these bikes. Currently there aren’t many options in having it replaced although some folks may be working on fixing that.

14. Are these bikes really made in the US? Yes they are. Ohio if I recall correctly.

15. What is the "steering wobble" people talk about? The steering bearings on many of the 1300's have some problems and tend to create a noticeable wobble at higher speeds. You can replace them with the steering bearings from the 1800 or from an after market company.

16. Who makes White Wall tires for our bikes? Dunlop and one other company. Metzler I think but smarter people that me can answer that better.

17. How does Poison know all the little bits of information that he does? The man is a sponge and probably knows the answer to anything you could ask about these bikes.

Now I know I missed a few so help me out here.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I printed this, cancelled my membership, turned off my computer and am saving electricity for mods right now.

However, I am tiring of reading the same stuff over and over, I REALLY miss the word "Stealer" and I miss Country Girls avatars.

Nice try though!

·
Registered
868 Posts
The reason things get asked over and over again is there are so many new members that are new to the VTX. Nice list, but we should never get tired of new members asking questions. We were all newbies once. :wink:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh no, I'm not saying the newbs shouldn't ask questions. It'd just be nice if the most common questions were easily answered without being asked. ;)

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
#9 has the wrong answer. get out an angle finder and do some homework on road crown angle and you will soon see that is not what causes it.

or

if you insist on keeping it in, at least add the other theory as part B to answer 8)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So PepsX... what IS the right answer? I'm no genius and I'm willing to admit when I make a mistake. You tell me the right answer and I'll go fix it all up.

Same goes for any of them. I threw it together.

Or just let the thing die if you guys don't like it. Won't offend me any either way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's a good idea: suggestion

Some guys wanna know why, but I am guessing that most newbies simply need some assurance there's not something really wrong. So if the list just said something like, "That's normal, don't worry about it", or "Yes, they do that."...then those who want the "why" can get into the postings in more detail (which is the fun part of it, after all).

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
IMO (peps clears throat)
road crown accounts for a minor strip of wear just left of center maybe 1/8 to 3/16" (WAG) the rest is from the way we take left hand turns at intersections. a bigger radius at faster speed than a slow right hand turn.
we have more lean angle since we are going faster to turn left and that creates more wear force on the tire.
if i remember right, road crown is only about 7 deg angle. if you lay your bike over to where the wear strip makes contact with the ground, the bike is almost at a 45 deg. and ive never been on a road with 45 deg crown.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Omissions:

Which seat is the best? The one that fits your butt.

Can you mount an R seat on a C?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Omissions:

Which seat is the best? The one that fits your butt.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Re: It's a good idea: suggestion

maj1950 said:
"Yes, they do that."...then those who want the "why" can get into the postings in more detail (which is the fun part of it, after all).
I believe BMW uses TADT (they all do that).

·
Registered
206 Posts
n8tz said:
The reason things get asked over and over again is there are so many new members that are new to the VTX. Nice list, but we should never get tired of new members asking questions. We were all newbies once. :wink:
Well said.

+1

·
Registered
28 Posts
My bike keeps backfiring – Check the plugs
Why is Red the fastest color – just cause
How Do I post a picture - ? if you notice I still haven’t
What type of oil do you use?
How do I get the emblem off? – leave the bike in the sun for an hour or so then use dental floss and GENTLY saw back and forth. Clean wash and wax

I agree though that it is always good to ask. If people didn’t ask the questions then people like myself that just lurk wouldn’t find answers. It would be cool if there was a FAQ page

·
Registered
905 Posts
UberSkippy said:
LoneRanger said:
Omissions:

I dunno, can you?
All can be done with suction cups.......................................................................................................................................................................suction cups, suction cups, suction cups :pepper1: :pepper1: :pepper1: :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts