Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
I remember fried baloney from back in the day when it was made from real meat instead of chicken remnants. Didn't like it much then either.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I remember mowing the lawn with a 'reel' type mower like the one pictured. And our house had good sized lawns. Kept sharp, they actually do a beautiful job.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I remember mowing the lawn with a 'reel' type mower like the one pictured. And our house had good sized lawns. Kept sharp, they actually do a beautiful job.
You get the best cut with a reel mower for sure. Hard work though.

On the subject of cursive writing. A friend just told me recently she handed a young guy written instructions for something she wanted done. The kid handed it back and said "sorry I don't read cursive" The days of using it as code are already here.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
You get the best cut with a reel mower for sure. Hard work though.

On the subject of cursive writing. A friend just told me recently she handed a young guy written instructions for something she wanted done. The kid handed it back and said "sorry I don't read cursive" The days of using it as code are already here.

Yep. I did not know that reading cursive was becoming a lost skill until watching some sad coverage of the Zimmerman/Martin trial. Some female friend of Martin, who looked like Ving Rhames in a bad wig, was trying to tell some convincing lies, and somehow it came up that she couldn't read. But I believe it turned out that it was just cursive writing that was a mystery to her.

P.S. - to give credit where credit is due, let me add that I believe the "Ving" observation was a Phatv-original; it just struck me as funny back then, and is one more bit of useless trivia that I've retained from the silliness of this site. :D

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
My grandparents had a self-propelled gas mower, reel type. Putt,putt, putt, putt. I think it was a Tecumseh. I used it to make my $5 weekly spending $$ doing their lawn while Granma tended her plants & shrubs.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Learned cursive. Used a reel mower. Had shag carpet. Made book jackets out of shopping bags. Went to the drug store and bought smokes for my Dad when I was 10. So I guess you could say - "I've done it all".
Does anyone remembers being in the back seat,,,, the parent driving tells you to be quiet,,,, you don't listen,,,, and while they were driving with the left hand, the right hand came back over the seat, blindly swinging, looking for something to make contact with!!!!!

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
How 'bout "Wait 'till your father gets home"?
No Father at home.

Mom, used a wood bread board... later a 2x4.with cut down sides for her hands.

Yes, the reel type mower... kid power.
did ours for Free,, others for cash.
fixing bicycles at 8. if I did not learn to fix them. I would do without.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Learned cursive. Used a reel mower. Had shag carpet. Made book jackets out of shopping bags. Went to the drug store and bought smokes for my Dad when I was 10. So I guess you could say - "I've done it all".
Does anyone remembers being in the back seat,,,, the parent driving tells you to be quiet,,,, you don't listen,,,, and while they were driving with the left hand, the right hand came back over the seat, blindly swinging, looking for something to make contact with!!!!!
With 8 kids he didn't have too much trouble making contact.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
How 'bout "Wait 'till your father gets home"?
Oh, that was never good. Would make for a long afternoon!
Spanked first by the Principal, second by Mom, then to "Wait 'till your father gets home" to have a discussion between my butt cheeks and his leather belt.

They beat manners and sense into me; I'm forever grateful that they loved me enough to do so.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
They weren't all that great. I grew up on a small farm with dad working in the paper mill. We also had several family farms near by. I also had two older brothers and nine younger. But I was the one that could fix the machines and liked field work. There wasn't much time for "fun". I like to get out hunting and fishing for the peace and quit.

·
Registered
476 Posts
So much win.
Be home before the the sun sets.
The first radar range.
Feed the chickens first thing.
Why are you wearing your boots, you are just going to the barn?

I remember getting a whoopin by my mother and I was wailing like I was dying because if it wasn't a good show, dad would sure make it real when he got home.
I cooked my own breakfast and sometimes dinner before I was ten. Some high school graduates cant do that today.
No watches, no cell phones, you watched the sun. And you better not be late, because there were actually consequences for your actions. If you were coming up the road and hear mom yelling your name, you were in trouble, if you heard dad, you were toast.
You made a bike ramp and about the third jump it failed and you got busted up. You didn't sue the lumber manufacturer, or the kids parents that owned the land where it happened, you got more nails and more wood and tried it again.Usually you were first to try the new one to make up for the last one. That is how it is supposed to work.
Dirt clod fights.
Rock fights.
BB gun wars.
Evolution of youth.
You work on your own bike. You know how to fix a tube because between the five of you there was enough to patch two tubes.
Bike rides were the thing. Especially if the ride ended at the creek.
Don't lose a shoe in the creek. If you lose a shoe in the creek, you find it or dad will bring you back to look for it, after the belt.
The red tipped spear grass will draw blood.
If you take a roll of snap caps and hit the entire roll with a hammer it makes your ears ring for an hour. If you hit the entire box of rolls with a hammer, your ears ring for a day.
Riding a bike barefoot down a gravel road is how you do it. If you slip off the pedals, dad will grab what is left attaching the nail to your toe and pull it the rest of the way off with a pair of pliers.
You had better have put the pliers back where they belong after you used them last, or you will find them, after the belt.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Scott in Oconto Falls, WI. He started there right out of high school and retired from there.

They refused me because dad was an enemy of the union. :smile2:

I applied to late at Nicolet in Green Bay, WI but was turned down because I was about to be drafted.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What about before everyone was in such a damn hurry. Stress is skyrocketing and there is a new illness showing up every couple months....

For us right now there is a lot of pressure to vaccinate our kids "on schedule" and there seems to be very little regard for what its doing to our children. 54 shots before they begin school, really? Autism rates are climbing at a ridiculous rate. I remember them trying to get me to give my sons a Heb B shot at 2 days old....are you nuts? He not an IV drug user or sexually active. This country is really going down the toilet.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just read about a HIV positive guy working in a hospital, using patient needles or something like that. Two days is unfortunately the way the world works now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts