Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up at the local Dealer today,,,

We all know rumors are just that,,, fiction before fact,,, but what I heard today from a Salesperson makes some sense,,,

The 1800 may not be gone for good,,,

With a 2009 1800 'missing' from the Honda line up, it is a valid argument that the Fury just doesn't have what it takes 'under the hood' for Honda to stake a claim in the "Power Cruiser" class,,,

Heck, the Fury was never meant to be "King of the Power Cruisers" anyway,,

With this 'void' in the line up, Honda, for lack of better definition, has nothing to offer folks that want a "Power Cruiser", except for some 'old' 1800's,,, (No offense intended to you 1300 riders)

Lots of folks feel this way, and I imagine Honda is 'hep' to the fact as well,,,

Here's a thought:

Honda has, or did have, more 1800's than they could sell,,,

The plant in Ohio was scheduled to be shut down and MC operations were being moved to Japan,,,

The 1800 is, for all intents and purposes, a little 'long in the tooth',,,

So:

Why not stop production on the 1800's for the time being,,,
Move Op's to Japan,,, Get everything set up and running,,,
After the 'old' 18's are gone, and the new designs are finalized, come out with a re-vamped/new and improved 1800,,, (much like the 1300 engine has been in the Fury,,,,)

Something that Honda can claim as their 'New" bona-fide entry in the Power Cruiser market,,,

So, is the 1800 gone forever, (as many think) or did it just go AWOL for a while,,,?

The Sales Person I spoke with today says rumor has it that its coming back,,,

Only time will tell,,,,

·
Registered
258 Posts
I for one probably wouldn't buy it. One of the things I love about my 1800 HONDA is that it was made in the USA!!! Anyone that calls my bike Jap Crap can read the fork and see assembled in OHIO!

·
Registered
662 Posts
well... I do hope Honda makes another power cruiser.. but I am betting it will be awhile before they do it. I figure in 2-3 years they'll release a bigger bike, then 3-4 years after that, I'll be buying a new leftover '15 for 75% off like I did on my leftover '06!!! :thumbup: Just dont tell my wife!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I too, thought it strange they would only have a 1300 as the largest V twin when everybody else is going bigger-- not smaller.:agree:

·
Super Moderator
63,734 Posts
The dealer don't know any more than you do. Honda will let us know in September when they release the new line-up what they plan on doing with the models, not a minute before. This "Guess" is just about as good a guess that the Fury might have a new V-4 in it next year

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinkin september of 09 may be too 'early', and still leave us with hopes of another Honda "Power Cruiser" :?

I hope I'm wrong,,,

I do believe something will eventually 'appear',,,, Lord knows there's a hole in the line-up right now,,,

"Bigger", as far as displacement,,,, Can't say,,,, I believe there comes a point,,,,

An 18 with more 'umph',,, I wouldn't think that would be too much of a stretch,,,

V-4? (In any Cruiser) Eh, if done right, I could see it! :mrgreen:

"Made in USA",,, I'll be honest,,, Other than keepin food on the table of fellow Americans, I don't care where it's made.

Inferior product/Jap Crap,,, Nope. That mentality is very 'dated',,, (The 60th anniversary of D-Day should help us relate to how 'dated' it is) I can see and understand the emotions involved with 'Jap-crap' in post WWII times, but not today.

Can't help it if some folks still feel that way today.

(THANKS, VETS!)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have no doubt the 1800 will be back in new design. Increasing displacement is not necessary. If honda used belt drive the 1800 should gain back hp lost by shaft drive and easily outperform engines with higher displacements. Honda should also engineer out the thumping engine pulse. Redesign and ballance the engine to smoothness like the Fury. Everyone wants smooth again. the 1800 engine can be as smooth as Honda wants it to be. They can engineer out the big thump thump pulse. It is not necessary to have that anymore. Tastes have changed.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no doubt the 1800 will be back in new design. Increasing displacement is not necessary. If honda used belt drive the 1800 should gain back hp lost by shaft drive and easily outperform engines with higher displacements. Honda should also engineer out the thumping engine pulse. Redesign and ballance the engine to smoothness like the Fury. Everyone wants smooth again. the 1800 engine can be as smooth as Honda wants it to be. They can engineer out the big thump thump pulse. It is not necessary to have that anymore. Tastes have changed.
IMHO, Belt drive would have some advantages,,, also a few disadvantages,,,(more HP, lots easier to change/select final ratio with a belt, but, more maint., alignment / longevity issues)

With the Fury having shaft drive, I'd probably wager that Honda isn't prone to 'go there'.

I'm kinda divided,, I would not have an 'issue' with or without belt drive,,,

THUMP:

Personally, I can easily live without the thump! Smooth as buttah works for me!!!!! It probably couldn't be 100% eliminated, but for crying out loud, at LEAST synch the cylinder "V" degree angle with the crank throw degree!!! :mad:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thats like the dealer that told me the welds were done like that to look more custom... Silly Rabbit

·
Registered
723 Posts
... If honda used belt drive the 1800 should gain back hp lost by shaft drive and easily outperform engines with higher displacements...Tastes have changed.
And it looks like certain minds have too when it comes to belt drive :thumbup:

As for engine pulse the 1800 is plenty smooth at hiway speed and HD stands as evidence lots of people want to feel some throbbing. The rather limited appeal of bikes like the Vmax and Rocket3, which for sure have plenty of power in addition to being very smooth, make it clear most power cruiser buyers want to feel some v-twin pulse in addition to plenty of ponies. So I wouldn't change that but the belt would be a helluva good idea if it's going to have chopper styling like the Fury. Not only more efficient but it just looks right on that style:doorag:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I don't care if the 1800 is gone, never coming back, it does not matter. if they put an 1800 in the Fury I wouldn't buy one .. .. ..:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I don't care if the 1800 is gone, never coming back, it does not matter. if they put an 1800 in the Fury I wouldn't buy one .. .. ..:popcorn:
I have one on order!

·
Registered
529 Posts

Well that's good for you Shooter! I also see you are riding a 1300 too!:roll:

I know for myself I WILL NOT move down to a 1300 EVER!! I have got used to the power of the 1800 and can't ever see down sizing again. The 1800 has a lot of power but no where near as much as many sport bikes out there.

So don't bag on the 1800, it's a great bike. If Honda has any freakin grey matter at all they will keep the 1800 or better yet make some improvements to what is already a good thing.

I see no reason as to why it won't be back in a year after they get stuff together in Japan.

I ride with a few guys who owned 1300's and moved up to the 1800. They don't regret doing that move at all. I also ride with a few who own 1300's now and wished they would have just bought the 1800 to start with.

I'm sure there are exceptions here, but certainly isn't the majority. I've ridden both bikes and now own my 2nd 1800. I didn't see a big difference in handling between the bikes. Only real difference I could see was the 1800 was way quicker and much more torque, and had much better stopping power.;)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And some people are waiting for the rebirth of the Valkyrie. Once its gone it doesn't come back.

·
Registered
723 Posts
And some people are waiting for the rebirth of the Valkyrie. Once its gone it doesn't come back.
Well not quite. They brought the Valkyrie back as an overpriced, over-gimmicked, over-styled nightmare that was not at all what "some people" were waiting for. Let's hope there's not a VTX1800 Rune in the works :yikes:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts