Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting new pipes on my VTX1800 (Hard Krome 3" Big Straights). Having the bike up on a stand to more easily work on it, and also working all alone with no extra hands to hold things in place, I ran into a problem. The darn exhaust gaskets would not stay in place while I put the pipes on. :banghead:

I looked around for some gasket sealer or similar stuff to tack them in until I could get the pipes on, but I couldn't find anything good in my messy garage. However, the garage also doubles as the pantry overload, and I saw a jar of peanut butter. In fact, that jar of peanut butter got in my way more than once while looking for the gasket sealer. So I got this brilliant idea.

I took a dollop of peanut butter and slathered a little bit on each of the exhaust gaskets. When I stuck them in place this time, they stuck right there. Sweet. ...and salty...

Worked like a charm. :thumbup:

I figured that running the bike would blast that peanut butter right outta there, and as far as I know, it did. But as soon as I started my bike, my garage smelled like roasted peanuts.

What's the strangest thing you've used while fixing your bike?

·
Super Moderator
6,905 Posts
That's a good question and I'm sure there have been some equally strange "solutions".

For me, kydex, a marine turnbuckle, a sink downpipe (chrome of course), a car tire, a bicycle seat stem clamp, and a few others that I can't recall I'm sure. I like solving problems and/or fabricating things to fill a need, in "clever" ways.

Oh, and welcome (back), to the board. Pics are always welcome too.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Peanut butter....good one! Just what we need to draw rodents to decide to nest in our rides.

Reactions: Harkon

·
Premium Member
8,162 Posts
Peanut butter....good one! Just what we need to draw rodents to decide to nest in our rides.
Well if they really wanted to nest up in the exhaust port ... that would make for one interesting startup. >:)

·
Premium Member
8,162 Posts
I have used heavy grease, like bearing grease for that before, and to hold in o-rings and gaskets for assembly. A bit of smoke at startup and the grease all melts out and burns off. I've never resorted to PB before though. Good to know that would work in a pinch. :wink2:
Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Roasted peanut mice meat blackened as in Cajun style.

I don't know if a mouse would want to go into an exhaust pipe.
Carbon, smell, etc

Reactions: Capt. Rory

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I was putting new pipes on my VTX1800 (Hard Krome 3" Big Straights). Having the bike up on a stand to more easily work on it, and also working all alone with no extra hands to hold things in place, I ran into a problem. The darn exhaust gaskets would not stay in place while I put the pipes on. :banghead:

I looked around for some gasket sealer or similar stuff to tack them in until I could get the pipes on, but I couldn't find anything good in my messy garage. However, the garage also doubles as the pantry overload, and I saw a jar of peanut butter. In fact, that jar of peanut butter got in my way more than once while looking for the gasket sealer. So I got this brilliant idea.

I took a dollop of peanut butter and slathered a little bit on each of the exhaust gaskets. When I stuck them in place this time, they stuck right there. Sweet. ...and salty...

Worked like a charm. :thumbup:

I figured that running the bike would blast that peanut butter right outta there, and as far as I know, it did. But as soon as I started my bike, my garage smelled like roasted peanuts.

What's the strangest thing you've used while fixing your bike?

Smooth or crunchy?

>:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts