Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going Nowhere! The Road to Nowhere that is...Bryson City, NC.

Leaving from the Dallas QT station (278 & 61) at 9:30am and making a pick up stop at the I75 Red Top Mountain exit (Texico Station) at 10am, the Georgia Misfits are riding for the Road to Nowhere.

If you need further info, or have problems getting to the meeting location, feel free to call Rainman at 678-777-7374

"The Road To Nowhere", as most local residents call it, is a 6-mile scenic drive into the North Carolina side of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park where it dead-ends. It provides spectacular views of Fontana Lake and the Appalachian Mountains and was originally named "Lakeview Drive". But since the road was never completed (as the government promised), residents, who were forced to leave their homes in order for Fontana Dam to be built, gave it the name of "The Road To Nowhere". This road was originally to be built to provide the many residents, who gave up their land for the Fontana Dam project, access to their ancestral gravesites. However, shortly after building a quarter mile long tunnel through a mountainside, the project was abandoned and the road has never been finished.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Wow - my mom used to always say that's where I was headed ... can I go? (she'd be proud of me if I actually made it there!)
________
Amateur Movie

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
x-beast said:
Can I go? (she'd be proud of me if I actually made it there!)
:lol: Not sure if you're serious or not, but just in case, the answer is yes....all are welcome. Whenever I post a Misfits ride here, it means that it's an open invitation. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ride

I can't go, Grandsons ball game more important, but thought I'ed stop down to meet ya'll on my way to the game in Adiersville. You are talking about the Red Top-Bethany Bridge Exit, correct?

Doug

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about Bethany Bridge, but it's exit #285 on I75. There's a Gas Station on the East side of I75...that's where we'll be.

·
Registered
336 Posts
No one Nowhere

I waited till 10:30am at texco no one showed, maybe next time.

Doug

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: No one Nowhere

Yank said:
I waited till 10:30am at texco no one showed, maybe next time.

Doug
Hey Doug - it's TOMORROW! SUNDAY the 17th :lol:
Sorry you went today man...care to join us tomorrow?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just FYI - I live out North of Dallas a ways so I'll be seeing you out at Red Top. We've got a number of the Misfits that live south, so they're gonna hook up in Dallas at the QT and then head out to Red Top. I'll be takin over Road Captain duties from there. Whichever place you meet at, just look for the folks with this on the back of their vests:
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

You'll be welcome.

Don't forget: Dallas QT at 9:30 and Red Top gas station at 10.

See ya'll tomorrow! 8)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah...that one went down as one of the more enjoyable rides I've ever been on. Thanks to everyone that went. It was LONG, (around 400 miles total), but very enjoyable. We had 14 bikes and after we got done exploring the road to nowhere, everyone seemed game for a run through Deal's, so off we went. I enjoyed it immensely and we had an awesome group this time. Thanks guys... for making this trip so enjoyable!

Rainman

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wrong day

Figures- my work schedule has my days and nites all messed up, next time I'll check the calendar before heading out.
Just wasn't paying attention.

Doug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts