Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally in reference to the Irish and the love of bagpipes...

Now I know why my Pipes sound like music to me...

Maybe it's bred in the bone, but the sound of pipes is a little bit of heaven to some of us.
Nancy O'Keefe

Also..for all those cagers who disgard the rights of motorcycles to share the road...

May those who love us love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.

Respectfully,

David

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bagpipes = Irish (maybe) ...

The true origin is still unclear, resulting in limited knowledge of the history and development of this instrument. Various forms of bagpipes and hornpipes have been attributed to many ancient civilizations. A style of bagpipe is even mentionned in the old Testament of the Bible. Some historians believe it was spread to Persia, India, and the Roman Empire by the Celtic peoples. These instruments and their development were the predecessors of the modern Highland Pipes that we know today.

The origin of the pipes in Scotland is uncertain. Some people say it was a Roman import. Others believe that the instrument came from Ireland as the result of colonization.

As a musical instrument of war, the Highland bagpipes were without equal. The shrill and penetrating notes worked well in the roar and din of battle and pipes could be heard at distances of up to 8 miles.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Origins? Who's talking origins? Nice cut 'n paste by the way. :roll:

When was the last time you saw a leprechaun playing the bagpipes?

Only time I see bagpipes associated with the Irish is on St. Patricks and the folks doing the playing are always wearing kilts. You're not saying kilts are Irish you?

I think this is the silliest discussion I've engaged in in a long time...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why so defensive about the origins of the bagpipes? You're the one equating bagpipes with the Scottish. I defend the original poster in stated that they are "maybe" Irish ... And where outside of St. Patricks Day have you actually witnessed anything truly Irish? Talk about what's Irish if you know what's Irish.

Here's another cut n' paste regarding your statement regarding Kilts:
Some experts contend that in the late middle ages tartans appeared in Ireland before being introduced to Scotland. There may be some validity to this claim, as several accounts on the origins of Scottish Clanship contend that, "Celts emigrated from Ireland to the Scottish Highlands diplacing the native Picts around 375 A.D."
This is from the following website:
http://www.anythingscottish.com/MetaPag ... artans.htm

Agreed, this is a stupid discussion but you're the one that had to reply after a bit of historical pondering was sent your way which opposed your original statement. And yes, it's all a cut and paste, figured it'd by obvious.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Who's defensive? NOT ME!

Sorry, I've crossed my ridiculous barrier and I'm quitting this conversation.

I must have been in a different mood yesterday. I don't actually care that much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts