Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting brothers & sisters,
Well, the day finally arrived. I gave them my 2-week notice today. Leaving to work my handyman business full time (or a "full" time as I choose). The company said one week was plenty, so next Thursday (the 16th) will be my last day working for someone else. For the past few weeks, I've been coming home at 5:00, changing clothes, and working on my handyman projects until well after dark. Burning the candle from both ends, but my wife and I knew it would be short-term, and it has definitely helped kick-start the business. Now, after next week, I can start working on a regular schedule again.
And I'm going to make it a priority to block off time to ride the X more than I have been!!! I know..... famous last words.
Safe Riding.

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
find time for family,, and YOURSELF....

life is short.. and most of it ( TIME ) is BEHIND you....

one forth of your life was just growing up... .

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Congrats bro Dart! Livin' the DREAM!

·
Super Moderator
6,190 Posts
Congrats Dart. As long as a person can make a decent living without burning out, being your own boss and in control of your own time is as good as it gets for working stiffs like us. I hope you stay busy, but not too busy.

·
Registered
520 Posts
First Congrats on your move to self-employment, it's a bold transition. I was a corporate sheep way too many years and if i could do it all over again i would have been self-employed in a trade and started my own business.

What is your age group? (IE, how old are you) 8)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Congrats to you for living your dream. Enjoy your extra time and make sure make that extra time happen.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Congratulations. What is it you will be doing ?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats!!! I have a few jobs here if you like to travel??? ;)

We could probably work out something, Spike,,, but not sure you will like what I charge for "travel" time!!!! Of course, that price goes down if I'm on the X...........

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations. What is it you will be doing ?

I have a Handyman business on the side, that I have done off & on for several years. Now I'll just be doing that, and setting the hours that I want to work. At least, that's the plan. Nothing big. Just lots of small jobs that folks can't get the "big dogs" to come out and do. I have found a nice little spot to operate without a lot of competition.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First Congrats on your move to self-employment, it's a bold transition. I was a corporate sheep way too many years and if i could do it all over again i would have been self-employed in a trade and started my own business.

What is your age group? (IE, how old are you) 8)

I'm 64. Will be 65 in February. My son also helps me with some of my bigger projects. He would work for me full time, if I offered benefits!!!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well everyone, I am now in my last week. As I type this, I've got THREE more days at work (I work four 10-hour days), so this Thursday will be my last day!!!!
Thanks for all of the kind words and wishes.....

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sorry to be practical but I worked for myself years ago. People said "It must be great working for yourself" Fact was, I worked for anyone who rang me, and I was not only my own master but also my own slave. I was bad at quoting as I thought "how much would I expect to pay for this job" instead of "how much do I need, to do this job" Didn't work out for me but I was young and dumb. By your postings you are a smart cookie and will do well. Enjoy the freedom and all the best mate.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry to be practical but I worked for myself years ago. People said "It must be great working for yourself" Fact was, I worked for anyone who rang me, and I was not only my own master but also my own slave. I was bad at quoting as I thought "how much would I expect to pay for this job" instead of "how much do I need, to do this job" Didn't work out for me but I was young and dumb. By your postings you are a smart cookie and will do well. Enjoy the freedom and all the best mate.

I get that, completely!!! I've decided to bid where it is beneficial for ME. If I don't get the job, there are plenty of others out there. I've even come across some that I wasn't crazy about doing, so bid them extra high, and got them anyway!!!! At least that's a little incentive when you are working on something that is not especially enjoyable, but you know you are getting paid extra well.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts