Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
gravel, dirt, grass, etc.. just a bit more of a challenge .. but nothing to fear..

my 'F' has been down many paths .. and many miles.. 4 years ago... very south Florida proper.. 18 miles of gravel, dirt, and a large alligator on the road.

last winter....very south Texas.

or northern Georgia... to my brother-in-laws log home...on the bike 3 years ago.. his driveway is 3/4 of a mile long.....up hill all the way...... an I AM OLD...

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Au contraire, mon frère, the VTX gave you much more adventure than your fellow riders experienced.

Here in Georgia we have more gravel than I care to see.
"Avoid gravel" on my old GPS does not seem to work. I suppose they are not data based correctly.
The "pavement ends in 100 feet" sign usually gets my attention.
Sometimes when gravel is right off of a four lane there is no sign. GPS shows to use that road, oops.
I have a friend on a gravel road but this one in particular gets to me because they use large aggregate.
I bounce along the entire road sometimes.
Wayah Bald, NC access is via a 4.5 mile gravel road, small aggregate last time I was on it.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I have had many adventures on mine, but like the others, I do tend to avoid gravel.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
StarrRider, I liked the video.

I only ride a cruiser so I avoid non pavement when at all possible. Hard packed is OK as I found on the Moki Dugway (UT-261).

On one occasion a camp site appeared to be back a paved road until I rounded a bend, all ruts and rocks. My X was very overloaded. No way to turn around and I had better not stop. I just hung in there and made it. I had to build courage to leave the next morning.

Deep gravel with large pot holes in the rain on the Alaska Highway west of Muncho Lake, BC, was a serious cause for the pucker effect while on my X.

The worst I have ever encountered was the summer of 2016 in Nova Scotia. I was of course on my X. Fortunately I left all my gear at my cabin except what was in my saddle bags. The map showed the road to Meat Cove, most northern point in Nova Scotia, as paved. WRONG!

It started out paved but quickly turned into the most rutted out road I have been on, even in a cage, let alone on my X. It was a good 4x4 road. There was nowhere to safely turn around. Steep hills up and down with hairpin turns. I kept asking myself why did I want to go there. Same old answer... because it was there and it was the road to the northernmost point in Nova Scotia.

The view was fantastic. Meat Cove, NS.jpg Camping would have been great. I saw only two other MCs there and they were surprisingly cruisers. It took me a while to convince myself I had to go back down the same road. I made it back to the paved Cabot Trail in good shape.

However, a few miles down the paved road I pulled into a scenic overlook to take my last picture before heading back to my cabin and a cold beer. I did not see the pothole as I was stopping. I hit it as I stopped. My VTX fell on my leg. Yep, my leg was broken. I was to catch a ferry to Newfoundland the next day. Thus, my plans to ride in all provinces with paved roads were dashed. At least I can say my VTX 1300R took me to all states and provinces a person can ride to on paved, more or less, roads without taking a ferry.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Small loose gravel has been my misfortune several times in my motorcycling experience. Always at slow speed but unavoidable mishaps.

When you ride the less traveled roads, you are bound to come across situations that even the most experienced riders could end up on their behinds.

Gravel roads like in this video are not our friends. If you have riding buddies that want that kind of adventure, you either go your own way or change bikes. I wish I were able to have 2 or more different bikes. Maybe one day!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I wish I were able to have 2 or more different bikes. Maybe one day![/QUOTE]

Me Too

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I HATE gravel with a passion unrivaled my mortal man ....
I go on a boys weekend every Summer with 8-12 guys to a friends cottage 4 hours north. Good food, good swimming, good steaks and good beer. Lots of good riding.

The last mile in is a privately "maintained" gravel road and the last couple hundred yards basically a one lane dirt path through the woods. The gravel road is loose gravel and re-topped and graded every few years. My sphincter puckers up just thinking about it. Did I mention there's some awfully steep hills and downgrades on it?

I nearly went down almost stopped a few years ago and with my X being particularly heavy (fairing, loaded drop bags and fender and high bag on the passenger seat) it was just about all I could do to horse it back upright when it was halfway down.

I friggin' hate gravel....

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
at one time.. I owned 3 bikes at the same time.. 1984 to 2000....
sport bike 83 VF750F,, then 88 CBR1000F
Touring bike 1983 Goldwing.. then 1986 Goldwing Sei.
OLD bike.. 72 CB750.

none were good in dirt...

·
Registered
668 Posts
StarrRider, I liked the video.

Yep, my leg was broken. I was to catch a ferry to Newfoundland the next day. Thus, my plans to ride in all provinces with paved roads were dashed. At least I can say my VTX 1300R took me to all states and provinces a person can ride to on paved, more or less, roads without taking a ferry.
Sorry to hear that.

How did you get the rest of the trip sorted out?

I viewed their website. Check the aerial flyover.

http://meatcovecampground.ca/

·
Registered
217 Posts
I couldn't imagine off road on my x, or any non enduro for that matter, theres some dirt roads (flat, potholes and washboards) some of my buddies live down. my front tire picks up the sand and tiny pebbles, spits it forward, and then the wind brings it back to my face. and im lowered front and rear over 2.5" I drag on speed bumps lol.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
gravel,,, is about balance of YOU . not the bike. body and mind control...

like a dog,, the more you dislike it .. the more it dislikes you...
what did the earliest motorcyclists do.. no paved roads...
crappy clutches.. skinny tires ... some even had foot clutches...

·
Registered
668 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

How did you get the rest of the trip sorted out?

I viewed their website. Check the aerial flyover.

http://meatcovecampground.ca/
Great picture

Long story:

After it fell I could not get my leg out from under the MC. I finally did get it out from under my MC. I did not have any pain (until after surgery).

I knew it was broken. I was in no pain but my foot did not raise up when I lifted my leg. Thank God I had on good riding gear, so no injuries from the surface. My helmet did not even touch the ground, no scratches. All the folks there were so worried about me. I was worried about my MC. Finally, I convinced an RN who happened to be there with her family and the Mountie who was behind me when it happened that I was OK except for my leg was broken. Then they helped to pick up my MC. A local appeared who was also a volunteer EMT/fireman in the area who said he'd take care of my MC. He also said he'd pick up my stuff I left at my cabin (Cove Motel & Cabins) about two hours away. A 45 minute wait for the ambulance was next.

The EMTs wanted to give me pain meds. I refused as I had no pain. A 45 minute ride to the Sidney Regional Hospital in the ambulance. After 67 years this was my first broken bone and first ambulance ride. The EMTs wanted to cut off my SIDI Gore Tex boots. I said no way I am wasting a 400 dollar pair of boots. I told them I could take the pain to pull my foot out. It only hurt for a short time. Then they wanted to cut off my $200 kevlar jeans, NO. I was able to take them off.

So both bones, left leg, were somewhat cleanly broken. All went well with the surgery, a rod and some screws. I had excellent care in the hospital with cute nurses. I think my Texas accent caused me to get extra attention. :laugh:

I had evacuation insurance through Med Jet plus I checked the box to ship my motorcycle. Glad I did.
If I would have told Med Jet I did not want surgery in Canada they would have evacuated me. However by the time I was able to get things coordinated at a hospital back home enough time had passed that the home hospital said they would have already dismissed me thus they would not admit me. So I would have to fly home by commercial.

I had to stay in a hotel downtown for 4 days waiting on a flight. Getting to Toronto was not the issue it was getting from Toronto to Dallas. All fights were booked. Who would want to leave Canada for Texas in August? :confused: From the time I got on the first of 3 planes to arriving in Dallas 12 hours had passed. Damn, I had to pee bad. It was too much trouble to go on the plane and I had no time between flights.

Of course this whole time I was worried about my motorcycle. But George, the local who got my stuff from the cabin, not only brought the stuff to me in the hospital but also shipped what I did not need to my home. He also visited me twice. He took care of my motorcycle until Med Jet was able to ship it. It arrived home a couple of months later. My VTX looked just like it did when I said goodbye to it as I rode off in the ambulance.

Yes I did pay George for all of his expenses including gasoline. He did not want any pay for his time but yes, I made him take some money for that too.

Those Canadians are great people.

It took me nine months to get my two health insurance companies to pay up. They wanted me to pay over $23,000, then reimburse me. They finally paid the bill after my co pay and deduc. So be sure you have some health/hospital insurance that will pay straight to the out of country hospital.

I was back to riding in about six months. To make up for lost time I managed to ride 20,000 miles during the next 9 months.

My 2016 Misadventure is written up in the Trips section. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/9-rides-trips-events/391930-2016-misadventure.html

Sorry, I did not mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I HATE gravel with a passion unrivaled my mortal man ....
I go on a boys weekend every Summer with 8-12 guys to a friends cottage 4 hours north. Good food, good swimming, good steaks and good beer. Lots of good riding.

The last mile in is a privately "maintained" gravel road and the last couple hundred yards basically a one lane dirt path through the woods. The gravel road is loose gravel and re-topped and graded every few years. My sphincter puckers up just thinking about it. Did I mention there's some awfully steep hills and downgrades on it?

I nearly went down almost stopped a few years ago and with my X being particularly heavy (fairing, loaded drop bags and fender and high bag on the passenger seat) it was just about all I could do to horse it back upright when it was halfway down.

I friggin' hate gravel....
Yep! Extremely heavy. I am especially careful with the slow maneuvering speeds...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts