Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My guess is that the battery needs to be replaced, but I thought I would ask you for your opinions. I believe the battery is the original YUSA from a 2002 1880c purchased in Nov. 2001. (I bought the bike used in Dec. 2003 so I'm not sure). I know, its time to replace the battery anyway. Yesterday, rode aboout 120 miles, stopped for gas, hit the start button and nothing, then it started to catch, and on on the third try it turned over and started right up. Today (put on another 150 miles), each time I tried to start it up it got worse. When I hit the startup button nothing happened, then after a couple of more tries, it would start to turn over, and finally it would and would start right up. Runs great after it starts (by the way, I did the ground fix about four months ago). Put a volt meter on the battery, it read 12.84 V, but when I turn the key to the on position the voltage in the battery dropped to 12.2 V.

As always thanks for the help.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If all the connections are wicked good, then it probably is the battery.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been having similar problems. (fyi just did the ground fix 2 weeks ago) Difference is that if the bike sits for a while it won't start...I hook it up to a trckle charger. I hold down the starte, it growns and turns over once, then a nothing for a few seconds, turns over again and starts. Then if I go for a ride and stop, it starts right up....seems the longer it sits, the less likely it is to start...my thinking is it's the battery. Kicker is I just bought the bike last August, it was one of the 03s Honda was trying to sell to make room for the 05s. JB

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 02 C has similar problems. Has very tough time turning over randomly. Sometimes it happens cold, right out of the garage, othere times it happens after an hour of riding. Normally, it starts with persistence, but once, I had to push start (this thing aint no crotch rocket - that was quite a chore!). I replaced the battery, and did the ground fix - no luck yet. I posted a mesage on this board, but it seems to have not made it (maybe newbies can't post messages). I imagine if I keep on tinkerin, I'll get it one of these days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correction

I did get replies to my post, and they might help you too, if your battery isn't it. I didn't realize how many posts per day happen here - I just didn't look far enough back. :oops: It was 4 pages back, called "electrical ground fix?". There's lots of good replies there.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yep..just had the same problem...I even had a batt. tender on it all winter...got it home, went to start it....rrururrr...nothing.. Went and got a charger, charged the living snot out of it....started once, shut it off, wouldn't start again....went and got a new battery....right out of the box did the same thing....so I charged the snot out of that one...(took about 30 min to charge to full capacity)...did the same thing.....by now I was like WTF!!!! So I disconnected all the electrical mods I did over the winter (LEDs on the Jugs, etc) Did a sluggish crank, but managed to turn over. Took it for a quick spin around the block, came back, killed it, THIS time, it started like the day I bought it....so I reconnected all the mods and haven't had the problem since.

I'm kinda wondering now if maybe it was the starter switch....because I know LEDs DO NOT draw that much juice!!!

BTW, this was early last week...and since then, I haven't had the batt. tender on it since...I was out riding all this last weekend...no problems...

Blurple '03 1800R
Show Chrome Sissy Bar
Willie & Max Fleetside Slant Bags
All turn signals & brake LED's (custom made)
Changed stock orange LEDs in speedo to white
Kuryakyn Slotted Spark Plug Covers
Stock everything else....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. After reading all the posts about this problem (and there are quite a few), I'm sure it's either the battery and/or the starter switch. The battery connections were tight and clean. I ordered the new battery today from HDL this morning, and they shipped it out this afternoon. It's a higher powered battery than the original one. After the problem has been solved I'll update this post with the solution.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the starter switch

UPDATE Put the new battery in yesterday, and it didn't fix the problem. Brought the bike over to Honda (it's still under warranty). It turns out it was the starter switch.

BikeMG said:
Thanks for the input guys. After reading all the posts about this problem (and there are quite a few), I'm sure it's either the battery and/or the starter switch. The battery connections were tight and clean. I ordered the new battery today from HDL this morning, and they shipped it out this afternoon. It's a higher powered battery than the original one. After the problem has been solved I'll update this post with the solution.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bare. I installed the relay as it is shown in the Rattlebars Alternate Option: Headlight (and Light Bar) using the diagram labeled START SWITCH SAFEGUARD. I know I got the power (black/red to terminal 30) and the ground (screw at back of headlight to terminal 85) right, and I added the light bar wire to the output (terminal 87) with one side of the blue/white wire. I just wasn't sure which side of the blue/white wire that I cut went to the (87-Output from the Hi/Lo switch), and which side of the blue/white wire went to the (terminal 86 from the wire that goes to the start switch headlight contacts. Maybe it doesn't matter as long as it all works properly, and I hooked up the light bar wire to the output terminal 87.

This is confusing to read, and I know what I did. Maybe it would be easier to ask if I connected the blue/white wire in reverse of the diagram would it work properly and still protect my starter switch? Hope this makes sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts