·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While the bike looks well cared for, do you think at 39k it would probably be a money pit?

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
I've always liked the Heritage. There's a couple of things you should know though. I think the price is pretty good, but that's for here not for there ;)

Not a money pit by a long shot, but a couple of things will need attention if they haven't yet been taken care of.

Personally, given a choice I'd take a 103 over a 96 any day. It's not that the 96 was particularly bad but there were a couple of weak spots. The biggest is the cam chain tensioners. At 40K miles you'll want to replace the spring type with the hydraulic type. The cam chest has to come apart for that so unless you are really mechanical, you'll want a good Harley service place to do it. Good news is there are lots of Harley indies out there for more competitive service rates. The other would be the compensator. If you are at all mechanical, this is something you can do yourself. Replace that and it should outlive the bike. Those are the 2 things you should look at, but again, a 2012 or newer 103 didn't have those issues, and were solid bikes.

If you take care of it, and get those 2 things updated, you should be good for another 60K-70K miles, before you should expect anything major. Like any brand of bike though, it's past neglect and any future neglect can cost you. If it looks like it was well taken care of, then that's a great start. It looks like the prevbious owner didn't do too much in the way of power adders either, and that's another good sign.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My wife rides a '08 Heritage and as a result I've had a chance to spend some time on it. I totally agree with Harkon regarding the 103 vs the 96. One item of note; Being air cooled these bike produce a lot of heat when in traffic. So much so she installed a heat deflector under the back right side of the saddle to stop the top of her leg from being scorched. It helped a lot but didn't completely eliminate the problem. Fortunately, they aren't terribly expensive and are easy to install. My personal choice would be a Road King (it doesn't have this problem) if I were to buy a H/D. Yes, more expensive but you are getting more bike...do a comparison check online and you'll see what I mean. The Road King, IMHO, is a far better touring bike if that's what your into...Happy shopping!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think this red one i showed is more of a chicks bike as it appears right now?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you think this red one i showed is more of a chicks bike as it appears right now?
a chick magnet... NO... its about CASH.. and major Flash...
I had a custom Corvette for FUN ( 10 years ) .. 490hp... chrome headers and sidepipes.. NOTHING.
oh,, a lady that charged 200 an hour.. I passed.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Approximately
82% of my riding is within 50 miles of my house.
15% of my riding is within 150 miles.
3% is over 150 miles
300 miles in the most i've ever ridden in a day.

and i ain't gettin' no younger either

i basically want a bike to cruise around the Tonto National forest like i have been doing for 8+ years now. I feel like i am getting outside and doing something, fresh air, meeting people etc. I won't be riding to strange places in the city anymore.
keep it real simple.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Harkon and TINBC for that info.

It's so hot in this part of Arizona during the summer, i bet that Harley would get hot.... The tensioners and compensator info was good to know too.

How would you compare the ride quality between a VTX 1300 and a Heritage Softail (96cu)?

Suspension, Powerwise, handling?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Approximately
82% of my riding is within 50 miles of my house.
15% of my riding is within 150 miles.
3% is over 150 miles
300 miles in the most i've ever ridden in a day.

and i ain't gettin' no younger either

i basically want a bike to cruise around the Tonto National forest like i have been doing for 8+ years now. I feel like i am getting outside and doing something, fresh air, meeting people etc. I won't be riding to strange places in the city anymore.
keep it real simple.
Sounds like some great places to ride. Me too I prefer ride out in greener places. Cities are dangerous places to ride.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Switching to a Harley from a Honda. Why this happens with so many people?
Well, No
Studs,whitewalls,spokes,fairing. The whole package screams geezer bike, the sight of it makes me feel like vomiting.

But like I said, it really doesn’t matter what anyone thinks.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My next bike will likely be a EFI 6 Speed cruiser in red. If it's a Harley, unless it had detailed service info, will have to have some major inspections done immediately. Cam chain tensioners (if bike has over 30k) and the Compensator upgrade.
For kicks i'll call a harley shop tomorrow to get an idea how much that would cost. i expect it to be over a thousand.

Might as well do the cam chans too while its apart, upgrade to the hydraulic tensioners or possible just replace the spring tensioners and plan to have them inspected (and replaced) again in 20-25k (watched a couple youtube videos ;)) Thanks Harkon!

·
Registered
157 Posts
you do not know what you are missing

longest ride without a long stop.
1,200 miles in 17 hours, then return home 2 days later at 1,200 miles in 17 hours ... did that 6 times BMW rally ( tent peggers )

longest trip... 7,200 miles in 15 days.. camped every night..

a short afternoon ride is 200 miles..

as for heat... past few days 100 degrees and 80 percent humidity. not rained in a month.
I do not ride in this heat..

hottest ride was during the 7200 mile ride..
Arizona 112 degrees, 3 days in a row, with sun burn on my finger tips, from the roads.

51 years and 394,000 motorcycle miles.. no missed years riding.

<< Ride Safe, Ride Often >>

yes, I am 68 years old. busted up and a bit crippled.
good eye is 20 over 2600, left eye is blind. and legal to drive.
I was born with bad eyes. left eye blind since birth.
I developed night blindness about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you do not know what you are missing

longest ride without a long stop.
1,200 miles in 17 hours, then return home 2 days later... did that 6 times BMW rally ( tent peggers )

longest trip... 7,200 miles in 15 days.. camped every night..

a short afternoon ride is 200 miles..

as for heat... past few days 100 degrees and 80 percent humidity. not rained in a month.
I do not ride in this heat..

hottest ride was during the 7200 mile ride..
Arizona 112 degrees, 3 days in a row, with sun burn on my finger tips, from the roads.

51 years and 394,000 motorcycle miles.. no missed years riding.

<< Ride Safe, Ride Often >>
Do you want a metal or a chest to pin it on! lol :LOL: j/k.

Chuck, that all makes for being in a motorcycle culture well before one is 55yo. My dreams of a cross country ride
are just that, dreams :D. And i am ok with that i want to spend a lot of time waxing the bike too. 🙂

Bullshittin' with the guys up at the trail head etc.... you know my routine by now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Iron butt... I could have earned 13 of them.. never wanted..

I want the RIDE.
I am anti-social so.. I do it alone.

my 2005 VTX1800F.. I got it New 3/2005 and now has 92,500 miles.
all of that is Day Rides.. no trips. and I ride one day a week.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Maybe i'll go look and ride this one, it's 4 miles away from me... I like it too... little older than i am looking for. Just to see how i like the model.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts