Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
The post is a great example of basing your reasoning/conclusion on stereotypes, (jobless with expensive shoes and headphones) exaggeration, (they all do this) ignorance/misinformation, (jobless NEED phones to get a job, it isn't provided for entertainment) and confusing ASSISTANCE available to any race that qualifies with the privilege afforded at birth to the white race historically. The rant misses the fact that government assistance is also available to them to TAKE, TAKE TAKE, should they be unfortunate enough to qualify for it. It clearly demonstrates a lack of personal experience with poverty and lack of empathy most likely due to being PRIVILEGED.

·
Registered
28,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The post is a great example of basing your reasoning/conclusion on stereotypes, (jobless with expensive shoes and headphones) exaggeration, That's no exaggeration, I see it every day! (they all do this) Show me where in the post it stated "Everybody!" ignorance/misinformation, (jobless NEED phones to get a job, it isn't provided for entertainment)Then why, when obamafones came out, they allowed ppl to add minutes, and now, they get data too. and confusing ASSISTANCE available to any race that qualifies with the privilege afforded at birth to the white race historically. Yes it's assistance, a helping hand, not a hammock. The rant misses the fact that government assistance is also available to them to TAKE, TAKE TAKE, should they be unfortunate enough to qualify for it. It clearly demonstrates a lack of personal experience with poverty and lack of empathy most likely due to being PRIVILEGED.
BULLSHIT!

Here's MY White Privilege.
I was raised in one of the worst ghetto's in Hartford, by a Father who was a drunk, wouldn't keep a job, beat my Mom, me, and my 2 sisters.
When I was old enough to look after my siblings, Mom went to work.

For many years most Christmases, we each got 1 small gift.
Christmas dinner was Meatless Meatloaf, a couple pounds of cheap ground beef, and a lot of breadcrumbs to feed 2 adults & 3 kids.

Never saw a Turkey on Thanksgiving, we had a large chicken.

Except for clothes I got from Grandparents & Aunts & Uncles, my clothes came from the Salvation Army or other thrift stores.

Wore sneakers year 'round, couldn't afford shoes.

So yeah hop, I was real PRIVILEGED.

Let me make a suggestion...
Before you make a fool of yourself again,
you might want to rethink what you're about to post,
without knowing all the facts.
Edit.
Furthermore, I'm waiting for your apology.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I posted similar on another thread the other day. T'ain't jus' black po fokes.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Your rant reveals much about the issues you're obviously dealing with that explains your bias and bigotry on the topic. You're entitled to consider my post one where I made "a fool" of myself, just as I think your bellyaching about your poor childhood made one of you. This is especially in light of the fact that; 1) my position wasn't about you personally (seems obvious) and 2) you express your lack of understanding that White Privilege still exists for a white man no matter how poor he is/was.

BULLSHIT!

Here's MY White Privilege.
I was raised in one of the worst ghetto's in Hartford, by a Father who was a drunk, wouldn't keep a job, beat my Mom, me, and my 2 sisters.
When I was old enough to look after my siblings, Mom went to work.
I was raised without a father by a single mom raising SEVEN kids. Lived in poor neighborhoods with Hispanic gang problems. I have many memories of running out of food in our house and eating pinto beans (cheapest food mom could afford) for dinner night after night.

When my mom finally found a man, he gambled away his paycheck 3 Christmases in a row and we got NOTHING but nights of hearing Mom and stepdad arguing about not being able to pay the rent and the landlords threats.

Most of my youth I ate welfare staples and wasn't allowed to wear shoes anywhere but to school and those had holes fixed with cardboard lined in them. All clothes were thrift store bought and I didn't own a jacket when puddles had frost on them walking to school.

In Jr. High school my mom couldn't afford to by my required jym suit so the rest of the kids suited up and made fun of me saying I was afraid to show my dick in the locker room as why I wasn't suiting up. Teacher said he would fail me if I didn't suit up and though my story of being poor was B.S.

My very first paycheck from a job worked while still living at home paid our rent so we didn't get kicked out.

Was I born with White Privilege? Yes. Do I understand what it means? Yes. Do you? Obviously not.

·
Registered
28,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Twist it , turn it, dodge it you don't know me, but you feel you have the right to judge me?
Well then, let me do some judging.
I think you're a Liberal spineless Soy-Boy who is racked with White Guilt.

·
Premium Member
6,558 Posts
Privilege : A special right, advantage, or immunity granted to a particular person or group.
White: The group to who the privilege is granted.

Who grants these special advantages? I'd say, likely other white people, right? So by that definition if you're white, you have white privilege. If one is privileged, one would know it, I would think, yet I don't feel privileged. Many white people who struggled to work their way up, don't feel privileged. But what if it's more than just what you feel? How about the black person that has a job, a family and did right with their life. Compared to the poor white man, never got a break, was beaten into the dirt mentally broken, homeless ... never got life off the ground. He's privileged? He gets treated better than the aforementioned black person? Likely not but then how? He's white, he must be privileged, right? Or maybe there are exceptions to every rule. That sounds reasonable right? I mean certainly there are instances where a white person does not realize any special right, advantage or immunity. Sounds reasonable, especially in the extreme context. Look at a person like Barack Obama. He's seen advantage and rights, certainly few black people have seen, and more than the vast majority of the population. There are many others as well. Affirmative action granted special advantage, special rights to a particular group. Does that mean there is black, or minority privilege out there? Using the same definitions there must be, right?

Now, and here comes the kicker, if there are exceptions and reversals, it is the height of racism to judge a person based on their skin color. Insisting someone has privilege because of skin color, without knowing if that person is an exception of not ... well that's racist. Insisting that everyone described in the OP must be black is equally racist. There are people of every race suckling on the government teet.

The white privilege, I think, the problem is in how law applies, how, as JPT had mentioned home financing is not on the level. Does every white person see that ... I don't believe it. If one never realizes their white privilege, then I'd submit, for that person it doesn't exist even if the potential is there. Another exception that should be known before bestowing some special advantage to someone based on skin color.

Believe it or not, black people made it on their own. Built it from the ground up, just like his white neighbor. Arguing "white privilege" as a universal thing extended to every white, regardless of circumstance, does more to divide races than it does to bring them together, because it accuses all members of a particular race of having done something they should be ashamed of. Blacks should never be made to feel ashamed of their skin color, nor any other race, including white people, and every shade in between.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have had several "black" friends that were born in poverty that took advantage of "white privilege" and pulled themselves out of that life style & lived successful lives. The opportunities are there for everyone that wants to work hard & not "TAKE".
Welfare was intended to be TEMPORARY support not a life style!

·
Super Moderator
6,445 Posts
The post is a great example of basing your reasoning/conclusion on stereotypes, (jobless with expensive shoes and headphones) exaggeration, (they all do this) ignorance/misinformation, (jobless NEED phones to get a job, it isn't provided for entertainment) and confusing ASSISTANCE available to any race that qualifies with the privilege afforded at birth to the white race historically. The rant misses the fact that government assistance is also available to them to TAKE, TAKE TAKE, should they be unfortunate enough to qualify for it. It clearly demonstrates a lack of personal experience with poverty and lack of empathy most likely due to being PRIVILEGED.
How is stating that all whites are born with some sort of privilege not stereotyping HOP?
I have nothing that I did not work for, with blood at times and sweat always, to acquire what I have. I worked beside people of many colors, races, and nationalities all of whom were there to work just as I was. Where does white privilege play into that? Were those of different skin color than mine, or race or nationality also beneficiaries of white privilege? If not, what privilge did I enjoy that they did not?
Seems to me that you're the one stereotyping here, as much as anyone.

I was raised without a father by a single mom raising SEVEN kids. Lived in poor neighborhoods with Hispanic gang problems. I have many memories of running out of food in our house and eating pinto beans (cheapest food mom could afford) for dinner night after night.

When my mom finally found a man, he gambled away his paycheck 3 Christmases in a row and we got NOTHING but nights of hearing Mom and stepdad arguing about not being able to pay the rent and the landlords threats.

Most of my youth I ate welfare staples and wasn't allowed to wear shoes anywhere but to school and those had holes fixed with cardboard lined in them. All clothes were thrift store bought and I didn't own a jacket when puddles had frost on them walking to school.

In Jr. High school my mom couldn't afford to by my required jym suit so the rest of the kids suited up and made fun of me saying I was afraid to show my dick in the locker room as why I wasn't suiting up. Teacher said he would fail me if I didn't suit up and though my story of being poor was B.S.

My very first paycheck from a job worked while still living at home paid our rent so we didn't get kicked out.

Was I born with White Privilege? Yes. Do I understand what it means? Yes. Do you? Obviously not.
Please enlighten us then. Give us valid examples of your white privilege. You haven't yet.

·
Premium Member
6,558 Posts
Here's an observation...
NOWHERE, in the OP, did it state Blacks or Minorities...
Exactly! As I noted above.

Someone made the assumption and projected his bias to your post.

·
Super Moderator
6,445 Posts
I have had several "black" friends that were born in poverty that took advantage of "white privilege" and pulled themselves out of that life style & lived successful lives. The opportunities are there for everyone that wants to work hard & not "TAKE".
Welfare was intended to be TEMPORARY support not a life style!
Not to mention generational. By any race fortunate enough to be helped by it. And it's not limited to just one or two either.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Twist it , turn it, dodge it you don't know me, but you feel you have the right to judge me?
Well then, let me do some judging.
I think you're a Liberal spineless Soy-Boy who is racked with White Guilt.
You don't have to know a person to judge a given behavior displayed. For example, you display hypocrisy by faulting me for alleged judging you, (as a person) followed by you judging me. I judge you as ignorant on the topic, or simply obtuse after it has been explained.

I honestly don't know why people have such a hard time admitting conclusions of data that indicate the White race has advantages over those of color. The same can be said for a males advantage over women. It's a well documented social phenomenon for anyone who cares to study it. I have no guilt that I was born with advantages over females or those of color, but I do acknowledge it because doing so isn't any threat to me.

Instead of arguing with me, or speculating about the topic, how about study it with an open mind?

·
Registered
28,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RBS, we had similar upbringings.

As for your debating with the painful one, I admire you for trying but it appears you're playing chess with a pigeon again.

View attachment 174599
Yeah, sometimes I forget.
As far as my upbringing, it was what it was. I had no intention of starting a Pissin' Contest.

And I do believe anyone can achieve, with diligence & hard work, being held back only by their own mental acuity, anything they want.

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
Agreed! I've been on my own since I was 16 and couldn't afford to go to college, so I joined the military. I learned a trade and, after 35 years in the business world, I've typically been the only one of my peers without a college degree while making as much or more than most of them. No one has ever handed me anything.

·
Registered
28,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed! I've been on my own since I was 16 and couldn't afford to go to college, so I joined the military. I learned a trade and, after 35 years in the business world, I've typically been the only one of my peers without a college degree while making as much or more than most of them. No one has ever handed me anything.
I couldn't afford college either, and to be honest, I wasn't really interested anyway.
Like you, what I have I worked & sacrificed for.

When I decided to buy a house, I had to save money.
Took all the OT I could get, worked on holidays, (At my job, I got holiday pay plus, they paid double time for working on a holiday.)

Ordered out, pizza or Chinese once a month.
Cut way back on alcohol consumption, stopped going to bars & restaurants altogether. Bought less expensive cuts of meat, off-brand canned goods, etc

I did what ever I had to do to achieve my goal, which was to own my own home.

And I know Hop doesn't want to hear it, but if I can do it, anyone can.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I couldn't afford college either, and to be honest, I wasn't really interested anyway.
Like you, what I have I worked & sacrificed for.

When I decided to buy a house, I had to save money.
Took all the OT I could get, worked on holidays, (At my job, I got holiday pay plus, they paid double time for working on a holiday.)

Ordered out, pizza or Chinese once a month.
Cut way back on alcohol consumption, stopped going to bars & restaurants altogether. Bought less expensive cuts of meat, off-brand canned goods, etc

I did what ever I had to do to achieve my goal, which was to own my own home.

And I know Hop doesn't want to hear it, but if I can do it, anyone can.
RBS, all this effort, it could have been much easier: you could have waited tor someone to give all that to you for free.
And you still would be waiting, like far too many people do.
I worked my .ss off non-stop from 16 to 68. I am proud of what I accomplished.
As you said, ANYONE can do it, IF YOU WANT.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts