Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not me... Wish it was :) All of this is borrowed from a post by Wayde on the CA board. BTW- Wayde's doing pretty well in his own right and he's a hell of a nice guy to boot. You should see his bike :) Both iterations :)

In the exhibition V-Twin Extreme class Stotz rip off a 10.07 @136 MPH on his turbocharged VTX 1800 running a bone-stock motor with a Velocity Racing turbo kit, and MTC lock-up clutch.
�But with nothing failing we just kept turning up the boost until we got to 25 lbs, producing 271 horsepower and over 250 ft lbs of torque on the stock VTX." Stotz's first pass saw nothing but wheelies out of that 895 pound bike. Turning the boost down to 18 lbs made it controllable enough to short shift and run a 10.07 at 136 MPH. "That wasn't very fast for me but it was a hell of a lot of fun,� he said.
Bet he don't run Uber's either.

Oh... his name is Kent Stotz...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's Wayde before he went to wheelie bars and extended swing arms (drag configuration)... Hell of a nice guy too...

·
Super Moderator
64,139 Posts
So this helps How? We've seen the Stotz stuff before, I am a friend of his but this thread has no tech value at all. Seems like this is just an attack as evidenced by;
iCe said:
Bet he don't run Uber's either
As the Eagles would say;
"Get over it!" :roll:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chicago-Spike said:
So this helps How? We've seen the Stotz stuff before, I am a friend of his but this thread has no tech value at all. Seems like this is just an attack as evidenced by;
iCe said:
Bet he don't run Uber's either
As the Eagles would say;
"Get over it!" :roll:
I ain't getting over it. People here that trusted other people GOT HOSED by an OVERHYPED bunch of crap. There was a time when you could trust what people put on the board. Those days ARE GONE and that's sad.

The orignal post was about Stotz. I hadn't seen it. Maybe someone else didn't either. Stock motor with at turbo kit pulling those kind of numbers is impressive. A dead stock VTX pulling that kind of wheelie is impressive.

Do a search. You'll probably find posts of yours that have no tech value either. Go play police man somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
WOW! :roll:

I think anyone who is not happy with the plugs should get a refund, or rebate.

Or at least be send a jar of Vasline for the burning in their butts!!!!!! :wink:

Now, if FreeHav had been pushing those plugs I would have understood!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LEE said:

Or at least be send a jar of Vasline for the burning in their butts!!!!!! :wink:

I like looking at them. It reminds me of how the real world is...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
iCe said:
LEE said:

I like looking at them. It reminds me of how the real world is...
No, not the real world. Just those who THINK they are the real world!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I got a great chuckle out of seeing a big a$$ ole Retro doing a wheelie. Racing is technical to me, or general or off topic. Just don't post that on the 1300 board :lol: Thanks Ice

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Ice- what mods have been done to Wayde's Retro to get the front wheel off the ground like that??? :shock:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XHellcat said:
Hey Ice- what mods have been done to Wayde's Retro to get the front wheel off the ground like that??? :shock:
All I know is what I can see in the picture- Hypercharger (not the greatest selection), maybe some slip ons?. He rode it to Tombstone. He says that he cranks on it and dumps the clutch :shock: Ie launches somewhere around 5k and holds on tight ROFL... I don't have the cajones to try that. I would be afraid that I woud be sitting on my azz watching my Retro ride away LMAO...

Here's the link to the post- http://californiavtxriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7984

and the other version of the same bike-

and his post:

Well, went out to the drags tonight and had a great time. Wednesday night is street drag night - no wheelie bars or slicks, no stickem on the track either.

I spun coming out of the hole constantly and had bad times most of the night, however, they were consistant and that's what counts in bracket racing.

I knocked out a lot of sport bikes tonight, and the vrod that ran a 12.29 against my 12.6 - he broke out and went home early.

A race at sacraceway wouldn't be complete if I didn't run against my buddy Mike ONeil, we squared off in the final.

I broke out and went home with second place tonight. yehaaaaa!!!!

Oh yeah - I raced a Busa and cut a .008 light on him, I took the win and the margin of victory was .000, everyone came by and patted me on the back - even the tower annouced it, as never seeing a 000 before. I guess I made it into Drag magazine, I'll have to find out what issue.

here's my winnings - hmmm no beer.
A .008 light is bad azzed... Wayde is good people. He'll answer all your questions...

I guess now I have to go put this on the 1300 board :shock: jk :)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You know, it ticks me off to see these kinds of cheap shot posts, particularly when they're:

1. Making fun of something that wasn't ever really said.

2. Wrong on the facts.

Rather than repeating a silly "lets bash those a-holes" conversation you had while drunk on beer, maybe we'd all be better served by discussions that center on the actual engineering and facts. Any fool can bash someone, and usually proves it when they try.

As far as the Uber plugs go - we've seen exactly two guys post dynos, showing a modest HP gain, and several others post anecdotal feelings that the Ubers "felt good". The engineering data and design are there for anyone to see and comment on, and I have yet to see anyone refute the basic physics of the design. What I *have* seen, is several guys being a bit optimistic, and a few more (including myself) saying "the design is sound, but lets see what testing produces". I count that as pretty reasonable discussion, and I also think it's pretty typical of the stuff we see regularly on this board. Good info, and minimum bullsh*t.

I've got about 50 dyno runs testing these plugs that I'm going to publish soon. Real data trumps budweiser every time.

We've seen the BS artists come and go. The guys here now try to focus on practical and usable information, that's proven itself out on the road. Sometimes the discussion get pretty esoteric, but I've seen no rule that says "we should only learn the basic stuff". Some of us want to talk engineering and esoterics too, and I think everyone benefits when that happens.

As for the plugs - I have done the testing, and I now know a good bit more about this subject than I did. I've re-written the article three times now, because I keep learning more on the subject, and am getting better at understanding the story the dynos were trying to tell. But at first, I just looked at the biggest number produced, and that isn't where the story was. I've talked to quite a few people about it now, and done some not-so-light reading, and learning some in the process.

So, all apologies, but for me this isn't a holy war, and I have no ego tied up in defending this plug or that. I'm an engineer, and I'm doing what engineers do - testing, and trying to get to the truth. In general, that means ignoring "butt dyno" stories, and the beer-inspired nastiness designed more to belittle others, than to inform.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tapper said:
You know, it ticks me off to see these kinds of cheap shot posts, particularly when they're:

You think I was talking about you? I wasn't... You, Johnnycheese, etc... all said "wait... let's see what the dyno says." I'm still waiting for that (not a smartass answer. Just how it is) I can't remember the handles of the people claiming 5 friggen horsepower and other miracles of modern technology but I can look them up if you would like. I wasn't having fun. I don't intend to have fun with the Uber debacle. I take it serious when people get screwed here. They aren't worth the price.

2. Wrong on the facts.
About what? Kent Stotz or Wayde? Not my info... just a cut and paste. That's what the thread is about.

Rather than repeating a silly "lets bash those a-holes" conversation you had while drunk on beer, maybe we'd all be better served by discussions that center on the actual engineering and facts. Any fool can bash someone, and usually proves it when they try.
I rarely drink and never to excess. I don't make a big deal out of my testing. I'll do it on my time and MY money. I don't get what you're getting at.

As far as the Uber plugs go - we've seen exactly two guys post dynos, showing a modest HP gain, and several others post anecdotal feelings that the Ubers "felt good". The engineering data and design are there for anyone to see and comment on, and I have yet to see anyone refute the basic physics of the design. What I *have* seen, is several guys being a bit optimistic, and a few more (including myself) saying "the design is sound, but lets see what testing produces". I count that as pretty reasonable discussion, and I also think it's pretty typical of the stuff we see regularly on this board. Good info, and minimum bullsh*t.
I take issue with "a bit optimistic". A bit optimistic sold a shltload of $80/set plugs that can be had for $12.00 each including shipping. I'll wait for your numbers. Please include the % error allowed by the dyno and a % difference between the plugs. Those are the facts that I have been waiting for.

I've got about 50 dyno runs testing these plugs that I'm going to publish soon. Real data trumps budweiser every time.
Good. On those rare occasions that I drink... it's Corona... not Budweiser.

We've seen the BS artists come and go. The guys here now try to focus on practical and usable information, that's proven itself out on the road. Sometimes the discussion get pretty esoteric, but I've seen no rule that says "we should only learn the basic stuff". Some of us want to talk engineering and esoterics too, and I think everyone benefits when that happens.
My issues aren't with you... I already stated what I'm pissed about... I could give a rat's ass about me spending the money on the plugs. I've bought 3 PCIII's in the last year and only one of them has been put on my bike. I had a set of Uber's sitting on my desk when I ordered the NGK's I'm running... Some people on this board would jump on the chance to get the horsepower gains that were claimed, for $80.00. Those are the people that I get pissed about. It's not right to over state the capability of something. $80 is a lot of money to some people. Some of the claims were downright ridiculous and you know it.

As for the plugs - I have done the testing, and I now know a good bit more about this subject than I did. I've re-written the article three times now, because I keep learning more on the subject, and am getting better at understanding the story the dynos were trying to tell. But at first, I just looked at the biggest number produced, and that isn't where the story was. I've talked to quite a few people about it now, and done some not-so-light reading, and learning some in the process.

So, all apologies, but for me this isn't a holy war, and I have no ego tied up in defending this plug or that. I'm an engineer, and I'm doing what engineers do - testing, and trying to get to the truth. In general, that means ignoring "butt dyno" stories, and the beer-inspired nastiness designed more to belittle others, than to inform.
I patiently await your results. As do others.

Again, the issue never was with you and I don't need or want a fckng apology from anyone. You assume a lot. As I said, I rarely drink. You're mistaking pissed off for belittling. It has nothing to do with belittling. It's about simple things like trust and honor. Again- If you want me to, I'll do a search... and get some handles for you. Most of the CRAP was posted on the General Board and most of that was for sales. AND IT ISN'T RIGHT I don't give a damn who you are.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Aw iCe he is probly refering to me. Another one of those guys that listens to rumors from guys like Coyote about how much I drink and such.
Next he will be showing pictures of me screwing his tailpipe, and calling me a Peckerwood! :wink: he he

Probly working his butt off with that report so as not to step on the wrong toes and saveing face for certain people.

Noticed in another thread that the Bosh plugs performed real good when the engine got "Heat Soaked"
He he, probly those four ground straps on each plug getting REAL white hot and bending all over the place, but probly causing a cooling action like propellers ya know. he he
Dam I love those Bosh plugs!!! Since I run them REAL hard and heat soak the hell out of my engine so as to burn all the EXCESS rich mixture fuel out of the cylinders.

Sure glad I came back from the dead, having a dam good time now! :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
iCe said:
Tapper said:

You think I was talking about you? I wasn't... You, Johnnycheese, etc... all said "wait... let's see what the dyno says." I'm still waiting for that (not a smartass answer. Just how it is) I can't remember the handles of the people claiming 5 friggen horsepower and other miracles of modern technology but I can look them up if you would like. I wasn't having fun. I don't intend to have fun with the Uber debacle. I take it serious when people get screwed here. They aren't worth the price.
I didn't think you were referring to me, but I am objecting to the practice of belittling people without cause. I read all those threads too, and I saw none of our members making exaggerated claims. The manufacturer made claims of 5hp in cars, but The most I've seen any member here claim was one horse, with a dyno chart to back it up, or "it runs better I think". Hardly wild claims. All I see is Lee being a blowhard again, and doing the kid on the playground thing, and you acting out of character.

As to whether they are "worth it", that's a different question. It depends on how long they last mostly. It seems pretty reasonable to expect them to last a long time. That is one of the principal benefits of iridium after all. It doesn't ionize away the way steel or platinum does.

And not to point out the obvious Lee, but:

1. I don't work for Hal. I don't get paid to be here, period. No one has ever asked me to change what I write, or what I think. Hal and Lamont both have been completely straight up with me, and with everyone else I've seen. I think most people here would agree. So I doubt you're going to make any progress here tossing trash-mouth their way to benefit your buddies at Viking.

2. Hal sells Uber plugs. He also sells the stock plugs. And he also sells the Bosch plugs. I doubt he gives a rats ass which plugs people buy, because he knows they'll need one of the plugs he's selling.

3. Didn't you swear not to darken our door here any more? Just can't take anyone at their word anymore.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 2nd part I ain't touching... :)

I didn't think you were referring to me, but I am objecting to the practice of belittling people without cause. I read all those threads too, and I saw none of our members making exaggerated claims. The manufacturer made claims of 5hp in cars, but The most I've seen any member here claim was one horse, with a dyno chart to back it up, or "it runs better I think". Hardly wild claims. All I see is Lee being a blowhard again, and doing the kid on the playground thing, and you acting out of character.
Oh...

This thread was 99.9% about two people that are pushing their VTX's and doing some cool stuff. The Uber dig was a minor part of the post and MUCH less than what has come out since. I don't like being called down for the way I post and I don't like the fact that the BEST part of this thread has been perverted into a pissing contest (some of which falls on my plate). It pisses me off. So... maybe I'm a little out of character. As for the Uber's I'll wait for your report but... I'm not impressed with 1HP. I would submit that a good dyno man could make or brake (pun intended) a 1HP number. We'll see how the NGK Iridiums I'm running hold up. Probably as well for less installed cost but "probably" is just as worthless as any butt dyno... Time will tell. Let's hope that it's long enough that this deal has been forgotten. As to who posted what, maybe my memory is warped... It's late enough that I don't really care at the moment. Maybe I'll look at it tomorrow but I think that I'll ride instead.

Frankly... I'm ready for a new arguement. Bring on the P4 (just kidding)

As to whether they are "worth it", that's a different question. It depends on how long they last mostly. It seems pretty reasonable to expect them to last a long time. That is one of the principal benefits of iridium after all. It doesn't ionize away the way steel or platinum does.
Can't argue with that. I don't like the price when compared to the NGK's. BTW- from a QC standpoint, the NGK's "look" better than the Uber's, whatever that's worth. The really funny thing is... funny to a tired person, according to Johnnycheese (and I trust him), if I had put the Ubers in when I went to CA/AZ, as rich as my bike was running, the Ubers, or NGK's for that matter, would have probably done some good. Go figure... I couldn't make myself change plugs 5 minutes before I left on a long trip...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Tapper said:
3. Didn't you swear not to darken our door here any more? Just can't take anyone at their word anymore.
Oh I don't believe I darken any doors anywhere, and neither do many others.

My word is like gold, and sure pisses me off that I cann't find any Bosh plugs with bent up electrodes, and I been looken hard!

But Pete says they are JUNK, so I guess we should take him for his word?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Well, just for the record, I think drag strips are a blast, and I wish I had one close by. I'd be out running my bike too.

As for the Ubers - I wouldn't suggest buying them for a single horse, but there are other benefits. More on that later. But if you're trying to squeeze every last horse out of your motor, then yes, you should definately put in the Ubers. Or if you've built your motor, absolutely yes.

It's amazing how sweet these motors run when you hit that magic 13-1 number isn't it? Johnny's pretty good at dialing them in.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
LEE said:
Tapper said:
Oh I don't believe I darken any doors anywhere, and neither do many others.

My word is like gold, and sure pisses me off that I cann't find any Bosh plugs with bent up electrodes, and I been looken hard!

But Pete says they are JUNK, so I guess we should take him for his word?
Yep, you're a legend in your own mind all right.

·
Registered
841 Posts
iCe said:
XHellcat said:
All I know is what I can see in the picture- Hypercharger (not the greatest selection), maybe some slip ons?. He rode it to Tombstone. He says that he cranks on it and dumps the clutch :shock: Ie launches somewhere around 5k and holds on tight ROFL... I don't have the cajones to try that. I would be afraid that I woud be sitting on my azz watching my Retro ride away LMAO...

Here's the link to the post- http://californiavtxriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7984

and the other version of the same bike-

and his post:

Well, went out to the drags tonight and had a great time. Wednesday night is street drag night - no wheelie bars or slicks, no stickem on the track either.

I spun coming out of the hole constantly and had bad times most of the night, however, they were consistant and that's what counts in bracket racing.

I knocked out a lot of sport bikes tonight, and the vrod that ran a 12.29 against my 12.6 - he broke out and went home early.

A race at sacraceway wouldn't be complete if I didn't run against my buddy Mike ONeil, we squared off in the final.

I broke out and went home with second place tonight. yehaaaaa!!!!

Oh yeah - I raced a Busa and cut a .008 light on him, I took the win and the margin of victory was .000, everyone came by and patted me on the back - even the tower annouced it, as never seeing a 000 before. I guess I made it into Drag magazine, I'll have to find out what issue.

here's my winnings - hmmm no beer.
A .008 light is bad azzed... Wayde is good people. He'll answer all your questions...

I guess now I have to go put this on the 1300 board :shock: jk :)
I like the fact that he's doing it with an 1800S! Any idea what tires he's running? Looks like he's changed from the slipons to a 2into1 - the C pipe?

I thought it might be nice to get this thread back on track rather than hear whose plug is harder and has more endurance! :wink:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts