Honda VTX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
Does the clutch and the front left brake share the same fluid Reservoir?
On the handlebars, 2 reservoirs. The left is for the clutch, the right is for the FRONT brakes. The rear brake reservoir is behind the right side of the radiator, a small cup-shaped container.

Reactions: cubcake1

·
Registered
2006 VTX1800N3 Stock except for Barnette Clutch Springs
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No worries, I appreciate the answers and expected some "really? are you kidding me?" kind of response's. Iv been a rider for many years and let the shop take care of my regular maintenance. Iv only recently began doing it myself, mostly as a hobby and not a necessity. The video I watched on how to do it was on RevZilla's YouTube account, and although hindsight is 20/20, the video made it look like the master cylinders were one for the front and one for the rear. I took a QUICK look at the schematic and although I am no dummy, I look at Excel spreadsheets more than I do motorcycle schematics, I thought a quick question here might give me a quick answer. I do appreciate everyone's input.

Reactions: smurfy71

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
On the handlebars, 2 reservoirs. The left is for the clutch, the right is for the FRONT brakes. The rear brake reservoir is behind the right side of the radiator, a small cup-shaped container.
Thanks!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If it did, every time you shifted you'd be braking.

Left hand lever = Clutch
Right hand lever = Front brake calipers, outside 2 pistons
Foot brake pedal = rear brake caliper and center pistons on front brake calipers. Honda's Linked Braking System
Thank you!

·
Old Goat
26,673 Posts
Thank you!
No shame in letting the shop maintain your bIke …but Ive always felt it’s beneficial to have some working knowledge of things….just to be in the loop….Im an old man now….and I farm out many things…but I do at least have some knowledge of how most things…work…maybe keep me from a full trip to the cleaners….lol….good luck..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
No shame in letting the shop maintain your bIke …but Ive always felt it’s beneficial to have some working knowledge of things….just to be in the loop.
Older Honda V Twin motorcyles were some well built, well designed motorcycles that an average guy can do maintenance and some repairs on with basic hand tools himself. Service manuals are still easily availible and a lot of free information is availible online on older bikes. What I notice with newer motorcycle models, the motorcycle manufacturers are making motorcycles more complex and more complicated to work on and the bikes today have more electronics. I understand this is done to steer the average guy away from working on his own motorcycle himself and bring the bike to a dealer or a shop for service work. Finding a shop manual or finding free online service tips today on a new bike might be more difficult.

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
Older Honda V Twin motorcyles were some well built, well designed motorcycles that an average guy can do maintenance and some repairs on with basic hand tools himself. Service manuals are still easily availible and a lot of free information is availible online on older bikes. What I notice with newer motorcycle models, the motorcycle manufacturers are making motorcycles more complex and more complicated to work on and the bikes today have more electronics. I understand this is done to steer the average guy away from working on his own motorcycle himself and bring the bike to a dealer or a shop for service work. Finding a shop manual or finding free online service tips today on a new bike might be more difficult.
At $100 per hr. shop rates, you'd BETTER be able to do some basic maintenances YOURSELF!

Reactions: DarkShadow

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
At $100 per hr. shop rates, you'd BETTER be able to do some basic maintenances YOURSELF!
Where are you paying $100/hr?

I paid $150 in rural MA recently to have a brother's oil changed & tire replaced [not my bike, not my turf = no expertise, time, or tools].

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whenever I do something for the first on bike, car, or truck, I go on YouTube. I like watching what others do what I am about to do. I find it both ensitefull and entertaining. I've changed my tires and after doing it several times I found to hell with it, one shop charges $30 per wheel when I bring the tire in, so I still remove the wheel. Hardest part is doing the tire from the wheel and I'm 71, so don't need to sweat 2 hours to save $30.

I have a Prius with a blown head gasket. Or had. After what a person had to go through to replace it. I paid to have the engine replaced instead. If I had to replace gaskets a lot, it's worth the leaning experience, but to do all that the one time, not worth it.

Changing oil, plugs, shaft oil, brake fluid. Simple but still good to watch on YouTube. When I got my 2006 VTX1800C the master cylinders needed cleaning. The bike had only 5,000 miles, and that was 01/01/2019 and now has 25,656. I wonder what the hell the two previous owners were doing and why they bought the bike at all. And I haven't even left California yet. I also have a 2002 Honda ST1100 and I trade off riding each. Bought the ST on 01/01/2016 and it had 38,851 miles and now has 88,051 miles. But I enjoy the VTX more. But the 170 mile on a tank of gas versus the 300 mile range on the ST means something. My daughter asked me to come up and pick her up to ride along side my niece and her husband and told me to bring (ST is red and VTX is black with the flames on the tank and fenders) not the old man bike. Turns out, I see old guys riding V-Twins all the time, and I think the ST, a sport Touring bike, is what she was referring to. Turns out she wanted the the VTX. Go figure. I said why didn't she tell me the color of the bike. She only sees the reddish flames on the tank and fenders, doesn't know diddly from a V-4 and a V-Twin. My daughter. My fault. I have a 33 year old son and a 35 year old daughter, but my daughter will crawl under the car with me on my car or truck, my son nada. He only went under with me when working on his car. Needless to say, I helped my daughter buy a car, my son didn't get a car from me.

I guess I'm rambling drinking a beer in a hotel lounge.

Go vroom vroom.

·
Registered
34 Posts
One concern I see in the question is we are talking about the VTX 1800, which is not a toy or a beginners bike, its a big bike that was designed for advanced riders.
Don't really agree with you on this, I got my 1800 in 07 and had only ridden a 750cc for about 6 months back in 1985. I now have about 100,000 mile riding my VTX. Granted I was older starting out on the x. 44 Years old so I wasn't out to impress anyone and of course nervous driving in the heavy traffic here in Jacksonville, Fl. Being 6'3 and 200lbs might have helped some.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.