Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tore the bike down over the past 2 weeks due to the accident.

In 2006/2007 I had Viking Motorcycle in Upland CA do my 240 conversion and several other mods to the bike. I have found a horrible flipping mess now that I have tore the bike down.

the 240 conversion seems to be ok, But here is a list of the things I have found, and now need to fix.

my stebel horn was installed by me, originally where the evap canister was when I removed all that crap. Viking relocated it during the 240 conversion. They stuffed it behind the radiator up against the front jug. Yeah plastic horn against a cylinder wall, can we all guess what has happened to it in the past 2,500 miles? Can we all say melted plastic mess.

The wiring harness is cut and spliced everywhere, I am surprised the bike even runs, They cut the connectors to install the PCIII, then twisted the wires together with WIRE NUTS. They did the same for the rear turn signals under the seat when they rerouted the wiring after the fender modifications. I have counted 18 places where my harness was cut and wires were twisted together. I ordered a new harness, I am redoing all of this.

they used LOCTITE on my exhaust at the jugs, Not anti-seize. So I might have to drill everything out.

the bolts on the foot/forward controls are mis-matched and were cross threaded, I had to cut off 2 bungs, I am welding new ones on today and have to tap and heli-coil the inner frame threads so I can secure the controls.

They bent the rear fender struts to make them fit the modified fender, but they did this after they were chromed.. any guess what happened to the chrome? Cracking, rust, etc.

they used SAE bolts everywhere on the bike, and it doesn’t appear they bothered to re-tap anything, just force cross threaded it with a “close-enough” SAE bolt And from all appearances Home Depot soft metal crap.

I have spent a few hundred in bolts alone, Some factory ones from revzilla, which are just stupid expensive.

Luckily I still have some sources from my 20 plus years working in the Automotive industry (Chrysler and GM) so I was able to get most of what I needed (in grade 8) to replace the critical bolts that are striped, rounded off, or where replaced with SAE.

This accident was a blessing in disguise. I did not realize the extend of the half assed, shade tree mechanic work that I paid good money for. It is no wonder why Viking went out of business.

I am also going to point out that the factory chromed items are in great shape, the Kewl Metal and Kuryakyn parts are pitted, tarnished, and look like complete ass. Everything has been torn off and is being powder coated. I like the design/look of these parts, they compliment the bike, but the chrome process used was horrible they didn’t last the test of time.

16 years ago I was dealing with a lot of personal issues and it was easier to have a third party do the work as I just didn’t have the time. never again.

I have built a 1932 Ford 3 window coupe and a 1939 Ford Tudor (still own it) from the ground up back in the 80s and 90s with my father and uncle.

They were anal, meticulous, and suffered from a high levels of OCD in everything they did, so I was taught to do things the right way, not the easy way. Time, patience, proper tools, and do it right.

Sadly these are mindsets and skills that do not seem to exist in modern society, while there are some people out there that still have this mindset, they are becoming more and more scarce.

Bike is down to the frame and engine now, Stay tuned, The rebirth will be Forthcoming.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
This why you do things yourself and never trust third party shops. OMFG
Amen.
I often use a joke but am half serious when I say: "Why should I pay a monkey shhhload of money to fk it up when I can fk it up myself for free?"
Most gearheads agree.
Glad you have the mind and skills to fix it. But I do understand it is frustrating and infuriating when you pay big bucks to "professionals".
We just gotta remember that the actual professional you often talk to is the only person in the business, usually the owner and never the inexperienced lefthanded monkey who wrenches on your bike.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Tore the bike down over the past 2 weeks due to the accident.

In 2006/2007 I had Viking Motorcycle in Upland CA do my 240 conversion and several other mods to the bike. I have found a horrible flipping mess now that I have tore the bike down.

the 240 conversion seems to be ok, But here is a list of the things I have found, and now need to fix.

my stebel horn was installed by me, originally where the evap canister was when I removed all that crap. Viking relocated it during the 240 conversion. They stuffed it behind the radiator up against the front jug. Yeah plastic horn against a cylinder wall, can we all guess what has happened to it in the past 2,500 miles? Can we all say melted plastic mess.

The wiring harness is cut and spliced everywhere, I am surprised the bike even runs, They cut the connectors to install the PCIII, then twisted the wires together with WIRE NUTS. They did the same for the rear turn signals under the seat when they rerouted the wiring after the fender modifications. I have counted 18 places where my harness was cut and wires were twisted together. I ordered a new harness, I am redoing all of this.

they used LOCTITE on my exhaust at the jugs, Not anti-seize. So I might have to drill everything out.

the bolts on the foot/forward controls are mis-matched and were cross threaded, I had to cut off 2 bungs, I am welding new ones on today and have to tap and heli-coil the inner frame threads so I can secure the controls.

They bent the rear fender struts to make them fit the modified fender, but they did this after they were chromed.. any guess what happened to the chrome? Cracking, rust, etc.

they used SAE bolts everywhere on the bike, and it doesn’t appear they bothered to re-tap anything, just force cross threaded it with a “close-enough” SAE bolt And from all appearances Home Depot soft metal crap.

I have spent a few hundred in bolts alone, Some factory ones from revzilla, which are just stupid expensive.

Luckily I still have some sources from my 20 plus years working in the Automotive industry (Chrysler and GM) so I was able to get most of what I needed (in grade 8) to replace the critical bolts that are striped, rounded off, or where replaced with SAE.

This accident was a blessing in disguise. I did not realize the extend of the half assed, shade tree mechanic work that I paid good money for. It is no wonder why Viking went out of business.

I am also going to point out that the factory chromed items are in great shape, the Kewl Metal and Kuryakyn parts are pitted, tarnished, and look like complete ass. Everything has been torn off and is being powder coated. I like the design/look of these parts, they compliment the bike, but the chrome process used was horrible they didn’t last the test of time.

16 years ago I was dealing with a lot of personal issues and it was easier to have a third party do the work as I just didn’t have the time. never again.

I have built a 1932 Ford 3 window coupe and a 1939 Ford Tudor (still own it) from the ground up back in the 80s and 90s with my father and uncle.

They were anal, meticulous, and suffered from a high levels of OCD in everything they did, so I was taught to do things the right way, not the easy way. Time, patience, proper tools, and do it right.

Sadly these are mindsets and skills that do not seem to exist in modern society, while there are some people out there that still have this mindset, they are becoming more and more scarce.

Bike is down to the frame and engine now, Stay tuned, The rebirth will be Forthcoming.
All of the above sucks. If you have need for OEM bolts lemme know. I have containers of all sizes of frame, engine, etc.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the above sucks. If you have need for OEM bolts lemme know. I have containers of all sizes of frame, engine, etc.
thanks. wish I had known 24 hours ago, lol. just bought another dozen on revzilla. all the radiator and radiator shroud bolts which are honda (and model) specific, I couldn't find anything that matched at any of my supplier friends.

might have to swing by next weekend and see what you have.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
I have been preaching this very issue. since the 1970's...

cycle shops do not require "TRAINED" mechanics... or 12 volt electrician,
I was both,,, retired.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have been preaching this very issue. since the 1970's...

cycle shops do not require "TRAINED" mechanics... or 12 volt electrician,
I was both,,, retired.
Hey Chuck, Do you have the time,drive etc., to open up a 'garage shop'? You would make a fortune. Labor rates per hr. at the Honda and I mean stealers is $160.00 in the Dallas area.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Hey Chuck, Do you have the time,drive etc., to open up a 'garage shop'? You would make a fortune. Labor rates per hr. at the Honda and I mean stealers is $160.00 in the Dallas area.
That might be hard if he were willing, since he's 10 mi. from da Rio Grande. Unless all those illegals are passing by with MC's.

·
Registered
38,630 Posts
I'm very fortunate.
The same mechanic has worked on my bikes
for the past 16 years. Always treated me right, and very conscientious.

The last time he replaced the rear tire on my Yamaha, he called me the next day
and asked me to bring the bike back in.

While he was cleaning up the previous night, he found a part on the table that came from my bike.
I don't remember exactly what it was, maybe a spacer or something like that.

I had ridden the bike over 150 miles the day I picked it up.
He could have said nothing, but instead he called me. (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts