Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've been "lurking" around here for quite a while and really like the site.
Here's my deal ;
I've been away from bikes for about 25 years, now with the kids up and gone "Mom" and I are going to play some and we've decided that an 1800 VTX would be a good "toy".
Being the new guy; I've got some questions...
We've located an 1800 Retro (spoke wheels) with 4500 mi. It's an '02 that's pretty much stock except for some chrome items the man put on. (no bags or windshield). The bike has an extended warranty until Mar. '07.
The machine looks pretty good and sounds fine. He said the Dlr. did all maintenance. I think I can get this bike for around 6800 dollars.
My questions are :
Is there anything I should pay particular attention to when looking at the bike ?
Does the price sound about right ?
Is there a problem transferring the warranty ?
One other question, this guy placed some stainless steel "trim" pieces at various places on the bike (pianted areas) with double faced tape.
Do you think they'd come off with out ruining the paint ?

'Look forward to hanging around.
Thanks, Mossy Beard

·
Senior Moments
8,400 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA Family! That sounds like a good bike to me! As far as the warranty thing, I am not sure, but I imagine some of the guys on the boards can answer that.

The techy stuff...there are LOTS of really good guys on the boards that will be more than happy to answer those questions too.

I have a 2004 1300 R/S, and love it. Hubby has a 2002 1800 R.

Enjoy the boards, and that bike!

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
The extended warrenty should transfer to you, the one we had on just over a year old Shadow Ace transfered to the new owner when we traded it it on the VTX. They said it was a nice incentative to have on the bike if you have an extended warrenty because it transfered over to the new owner if you sell it.

BTW...WELCOME and be prepared to not wipe off that silly VTX grin as long as you have this bike! We are in a simular situation as you were but got a 750 shadow ace so he could get used to being on a bike again then traded it in for the VTX. What a cadillac this VTX has been compared to the 750!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought a used 02 also. That price seems ok. I had no problem transfering the extended warranty. I just took the warranty and the bikes title (in my name) back to the dealer , the transfer took about 10 minutes.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Great Deal

Thats a great deal, I paid 7,100.00 for my '02 1800C with an extended waaruntee that runs out in 5-'06 and it was easily transferable. This board has been a huge help to me, and I'm sure that the info your going to find here will also be one of the benfits of buying this bike. I didn't chk to see what state your from, but chk the kinks to your stste X-riders site and you will meet some great people who are closer to you, I have
Bryan

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
whoops

uhhh... thats links not kinks...wonder where my minds at this mornin...think I'll go wake up the wife

·
Registered
653 Posts
When you do purchase sign up for the Honda Riders Club of America. HRCA
Free towing if needed.
Free stuff every year (so far) tools etc
A Red Rider Magazine
Activities schedules, good parking at the big events, Daytona BikeWeek and free goodies, Sturgis activities, Honda Hoot free stuff and discounted stuff and 10% off at most Honda dealerships
etc.
Also I recommend David Hough's books Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling. These will freshen up your skills. The VTX's are heavy bikes and you will need to know countersteering, either intuitively or consciously applying it until it is intuitive. Other things in his book saved my skin and possibly my life. $25 each, worth $250.
Congratulations. Miles of smiles. :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
Mossy Beard said:
Being the new guy; I've got some questions...
We've located an 1800 Retro (spoke wheels) with 4500 mi. It's an '02 that's pretty much stock except for some chrome items the man put on. (no bags or windshield). The bike has an extended warranty until Mar. '07.
The machine looks pretty good and sounds fine. He said the Dlr. did all maintenance. I think I can get this bike for around 6800 dollars.
My questions are :
Is there anything I should pay particular attention to when looking at the bike ? take it to the dealer to make sure the recall for the kickstand bolt has been done
Does the price sound about right ? http://www.kellybluebook.com only if it sounds good to you
Is there a problem transferring the warranty ? very painless, dealer will need the VIN number
One other question, this guy placed some stainless steel "trim" pieces at various places on the bike (pianted areas) with double faced tape.
Do you think they'd come off with out ruining the paint ?now that I don't know, retro owners usually add stuff not subtract :lol:

'Look forward to hanging around.
Thanks, Mossy Beard
I had been away from bikes for 25yrs also, please look into taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation riders course. Before I sat on the bike I didn't think I needed it, I did need it. Plus if you join the Honda Red Riders thing that someone else posted they give you money for taking the class and your insurance will be lower, always a good thing. Enjoy your new bike... come to Colorado in July too. http://www.coloradovtxriders.org

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses. "Some good info.
Yes, I do plan on taking the safety course.
As far as the removal of some of the trim I've learned from looking at a bunch of different bikes over the past 6 mos. , that appearance "tastes" are as varied as people themselves and that's a good thing.
If I do get the bike, I'm going for "bags" and windshield real soon.
By the way, I'm from Pa.

Mossy Beard

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sounds like a great deal, go for it. It's a good price for such low mileage. I have a friend that would interested if you decide against it. I won't tell him though because he'll go crazy. Jump at it, you won't regret it. You'll learn a lot from this board, we all do.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
The trim will come off easily without hurting the paint. Go to NAPA and buy their adhesive remover and get the ol' lady's hairdryer out. Put a little heat to the stickers and they come right off. Then use the adhesive remover to clean up what residue is left behind. Noe put a nice coat of wax on the bike and put it in the wind.
Good luck and email me if you have any problems with this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts