Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of going to chrome wheels on my "C". Any thoughts from the people that have? Problems, concerns, etc? Who has the best chrome and the best price? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Seems to me there is someone who will exchange your rims plus $$$ for a set of chrome ones. Usually has chrome ones in stock, and I think it was around $700 plus your rims... unsure it was awhile ago that I saw that on here, someone will chime in on this.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Two guys I ride with had theirs chromed and neither was really happy with them. Both said they wouldn't "go there" again. ;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have had my stock R model wheels chromed for about a year and a half and live in Florida where we ride all year. These things are great! They look better, are MUCH easier to clean, and in my opinion just complete the look. Mine were done back when Handler still ran Gateway. I just have no experience with them since the owner switch but to recommend or not.

Lee

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you like bling, have them chromed. I like mine:

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am thinking of going to chrome wheels on my "C". Any thoughts from the people that have? Problems, concerns, etc? Who has the best chrome and the best price? Thanks!
Go chrome, you will not regret it, it just completes the look of the bike and makes them easier to clean... I love mine. If you would like to save a few $$$$ your best option would be through a wheel exchange.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I had the same questions....

I ride in all weather.....teh bike is dirty more often than clean.....and chrome wheels would REALLY make it easier to keep the wheels looking good IF THE CHROME STAYS ON THEM.

The chrome on my Cobra pipes is pristine after a couple years or so in all weather...salt, etc......the billet tips have peeled twice.

My KuryAkyn shock covers (steel) cracked and rusted real quickly.....and the KA rear brake pedal cover is peeling...but the stock chrome on the bike looks brand new.

So who knows. I guess like someone else said, prep and quality of the procedure is everything.

Chrome sure do look perty though. And I hate the way the rotor sides of my wheels look after just a couple rains.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
I had the same questions....

I ride in all weather.....teh bike is dirty more often than clean.....and chrome wheels would REALLY make it easier to keep the wheels looking good IF THE CHROME STAYS ON THEM.

The chrome on my Cobra pipes is pristine after a couple years or so in all weather...salt, etc......the billet tips have peeled twice.

My KuryAkyn shock covers (steel) cracked and rusted real quickly.....and the KA rear brake pedal cover is peeling...but the stock chrome on the bike looks brand new.

So who knows. I guess like someone else said, prep and quality of the procedure is everything.

Chrome sure do look perty though. And I hate the way the rotor sides of my wheels look after just a couple rains.

Prep has a lot to do with it, but base material does too. Much of Kury's product line is made from cheap cast aluminum. Cast aluminum has lots of little tiny air pockets inside it. The crappier the casting, the more pockets. When chrome is applied over cast aluminum, sometimes the outgassing process causes bubbles to form under the chrome. Eventually those bubles will rupture, and the chrome will peel. Poor surface prep on an already poor base metal is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Gotcha

So it sounds like our wheels, then, arent the best base for trouble-free chrome?

Bummer.

May end up going with the powder coat center/polished rim that txvtx has...that looks sweet too.....But not sure what color would look "right" with my bike.

Wish they had chrome powder coat. LOL

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Gotcha

So it sounds like our wheels, then, arent the best base for trouble-free chrome?

Bummer.

May end up going with the powder coat center/polished rim that txvtx has...that looks sweet too.....But not sure what color would look "right" with my bike.

Wish they had chrome powder coat. LOL
There is chrome powdercoat. (although it doesn't really look like chrome IMHO) There is also the option of polishing and sealing your wheels.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts