Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re-routing cables is not as easy as I thought it would be! I put 4" PhatRisers on my 05 1330S last night. Everything went great until I tried to reconnect the throttle cables. I got so frustrated that I wanted to kick my bike over and say screw it! Once I finally got them connected I didn't even want to ride it! I just went in the house and drank a beer.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You wouldn't have had as much problem if you had drunk the beer first, then connected the throttle lines.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
they are only as hard as you make it be, should of walked away drank a couple of beers and then work on them :joke:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try to explain but forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology for the parts. I first took the 2 screws out of the bottom of the housing, that way I could open up the housing and get to the throttle cables. I removed the throttle cables (very easy). I then re-routed the cables behind the triple tree (also very easy). The difficult part was getting the cables to fit back in the housing like they were when I removed them. I got the top cable to go back in it's place with no problems, the bottom cable on the other hand is what drove me to drinking! It was too tight to go back in place. Not the entire cable, just the cable itself. The easiest way for me to explain it is like this.... you have the black covering that protects the cable, inside that covering is the actual cable. The actual cable has a ball attached to the end of it to hold it in place. I couldn't get the cable and ball to go back in it's spot correctly. The piece that holds it is made of a hard plastic, so I was afraid I would break the plastic if I used too much force on it. Long story short... I got it back into place and only broke a small piece of the plastic! I felt stupid out there working on it, I know it's gotta be easier than what I made it. I'm sure I loosened or tightened something up when taking the cables out?? Anyways it made me mad enough that I threw a tool or two and had a beer afterwards instead of riding it!

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Loosening the cable adjuster at the carb end would have made things easier.
You're lucky you didn't bust the plastic sleeve.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Go to wal-mart and get a cable stretcher, should take care of that.:joke:

Since you put risers on, they may not reach any longer, dlp does sale cables that are available in 2" over stock, 4" over stock and so on.

·
Registered
597 Posts
please dont be embarassed about this. Your experience is valuable.You will never make that mistake again and hopefully, now that you have shared, someone else might not have to go through it either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts