Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I have looked thru all the old posts I am gong to and still I feel the need to start a thread. Bah..

So, being new to the VTX community, I am taking a couple of 1500 + mile rides this summer and having throttle lock seems to be a good thing. The search function has lots of info, and it seems that there were 2 throttle locks that were favored by most, the Madco Cam Lock, and the Breakaway.

The BreakAway Lock is still available thru Amazon etc. The url links of madcorider.com go to a generic website, and it seems the MadCo Cam lock is out of business. Anyone know for sure where, or if the Madco product can still be purchased?

Thanks in advance.

·
Old Goat
24,840 Posts
I hate to hear they may have folded..my Madco has served me well since new....back in the day breakaway was the favorite...good luck

·
Registered
9,506 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got the Breakaway on my VTX and I like it. I've gotten to the point that I don't even realize it's there. It's not perfect but it does take a lot of strain off those long rides or is great if you need to use your right hand to adjust something quick.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I am still using my Vista Cruise...aka 1975... and every bike since..
even the Wings' that had electronic cruise control...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your are a tight ass this one might be for you. I will stcik with my Break Away.
Electric wire and plastic tube? it just might work!!

Lol.. Tight ass? not so much, Frugal maybe. I like quality equipment, I don't understand buying cheap shit, realizing that cheap shit is generally cheap, and having to rebuy a 2nd time.

I liked the look of the Madco throttle lock because it looks simple yet well built, but I will likely go with the Breakaway unit. The reviews seem to be good, once set up correctly.

Thanks to everyones input. (y):p

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
If money is no issue, go Breakaway, terrific quality and looks like oem was always there. I also have the cramp buster on the opposite grip

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Not cheap but I have ridden 140,000+ miles on my VTX with the Break Away and would do it again. My RSV has an old style cruise, vacuum. Going up a long hill it will drop off without warning. It only lets me set it at an indicated 80 which is about 72 real MPH. At times I would like to have the Break Away as it is quicker to set (although I must treek it often) plus in west Texas 80 mph is the speed limit so my cruise doesn't cooperate.

·
Registered
969 Posts
i'm satisfied with my Kuryakyn 6218 Throttle lock. Think i got it for $20 on Ebay 3 years ago.

Use it all the time, mostly for cold starts in the morning to reduce choke usage. It's "muscle memory" now pushing-in the choke while slowly twisting the throttle to about 1100rpm on the Tach. Takes all of 5 seconds.

Put on my gear, mount the phone, turn on Google play, select song, adjust volume, flip-off the throttle lock and i am good to go.. With it on "lock" the lever is down, so to turn-off is just a flip of the thumb (while hand fully on the throttle).
the throttle can also be twisted either way while the throttle is "locked" so you can adjust speed without "unlocking".
I use it to rest an arm etc but do not normally leave in "on" for a long time.

The grips i have on my bike work well with this throttle lock design. when installed properly it is an effective tool .(y)

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Kuryakyn 6218 Throttle lock.

looks like the plastic version of my Super Vista throttle lock.. I purchased it in 1975,,
and its been installed on every bike since, currently on my VTX1800"F". since 2005

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I stopped drinking Coffee 2+ years ago ;)

Once in awhile i have a cup...
Wait, What !!!!. my brain does not start working till 32 ounces of coffee,
most days 40 plus ounces before I start work of any type.:)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Kuryakyn 6218 Throttle lock.

looks like the plastic version of my Super Vista throttle lock.. I purchased it in 1975,,
and its been installed on every bike since, currently on my VTX1800"F". since 2005
Yuuuuup, just like the Super Vista i had on my last bike, which was also plastic... Higher Tech plastics not avail in the 70's yet.

·
Old Goat
24,840 Posts
Hey 10ring 18 responses ,582 views..as of right now....what did u get ...inquiring minds would like to know...

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Another option is REAL cruise control. I had the BrakeAway for many years and it did everything I wanted it to, except keep speed during elevation changes. It wasn't a big deal when I was on solo trips, but riding in a group always kept me adjusting it to keep up. If you can find the AudioVox CCS-100 (usually through eBay), and seeing as we all have some extra time on our hands, it's worth the investment IMO. I do, however, miss the BrakeAway when I just need to quickly take my hand off the throttle to adjust/check something, but I can accomplish the same thing with the cruise for just a few seconds more before it's engaaged.

This is the write-up I followed for the most part. I have an LED brake light, so I had to wire in an extra relay on the rear brake circuit to "trick" the system to turn off when the brakes are applied. And you do have to fab up some type of bracket for the control pad...my holder is a custom piece that was built in limited quantities many years ago.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts