Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put heated grips on my 1300, had a heck of a time getting the throttle side to stick, it kept slipping. The left went on with a little help from a mallet (no glue necessary) but the throttle side slipped on too easy, just rotated without the throttle engaging. Instructions said "no glue needed." In fact, after I removed the old glue from the sleeve it took very little effort to put on and take off. I ended up using Gorilla glue and that seemed to stick, but after 12 hours it broke free and had to ride home on a bare throttle sleeve, not fun! I tried to reapply but had same results. In frustration I put 1 piece of electrical tape along the top of the sleeve lengthwise and pushed the grip on, (thinking pressure on one side may narrow two sides like an egg) and amazingly it worked!:dontknow: I removed it, tried auto glue, no go. I put the tape back on and it worked again!:shock: Thinking I have the magic combo I start the bike but the throttle sticks, it's like having an automatic cruise control at any position, or like it has no spring on it at all.
What do I have to do to get this to work, glue no worky, tape works but won't let grip spring back? What the heck?:confused:

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
Since the tape is on only one side of the throttle sleeve, it seems that you may have created a bind on that side of the sleeve, which is probably pushing up against the bar itself. :dontknow: Did you try putting a thin layer of tape around the entire sleeve?

Also, the "push" throttle cable may have come off it's "channel", thereby creating the problem of not returning after letting go. Check that first to make sure that it's in the channel correctly.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Hmmmm .... Maybe go with heated gloves instead :dontknow:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the tape is on only one side of the throttle sleeve, it seems that you may have created a bind on that side of the sleeve, which is probably pushing up against the bar itself. :dontknow: Did you try putting a thin layer of tape around the entire sleeve?

Also, the "push" throttle cable may have come off it's "channel", thereby creating the problem of not returning after letting go. Check that first to make sure that it's in the channel correctly.
I actually tried to wrap the tape first (on the end) but couldn't get the handle on, it just pushed the tape off. So, where is this "channel" I need to check? Do I need to take the throttle housing apart and check there?

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
I actually tried to wrap the tape first (on the end) but couldn't get the handle on, it just pushed the tape off. So, where is this "channel" I need to check? Do I need to take the throttle housing apart and check there?
You don't have to take it completely off, I don't think...you might be able to just take the screws out of the housing and just pry it open a little to peek in and see if the cables are in their grooves. The channel is specifically called the "throttle grip flange groove" (just checked the manual).

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If the throttle works correctly with the grip off the cables should be fine

·
Registered
212 Posts
You may have had some glue ooze around between the throttle grip and the bar (don't ask me how I know this). You will need to pull the entire throttle sleeve off and check this (not a tough job).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, just checked the cables, they are in the groove. So I guess the tape on one side must be pinching the sleeve maybe? Is that possible?
It was so easy to take off and put on without the tape I don't understand why 1 piece of tape on one side would make that much difference. It's gotta be something else. I also took a look at the spring behind the breather box, looks fine, not the prob! What am I missing?:-?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may have had some glue ooze around between the throttle grip and the bar (don't ask me how I know this). You will need to pull the entire throttle sleeve off and check this (not a tough job).
This may require me to remove my handlebars because I have risers that shorten my cables just enough. If I have the assembly off the bar should I use any kind of lube to assist the glide after reassembly or is that just gonna cause problems later?:roll:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
When you put the tape on try using just one strip and don't wrap it around but length wise. It should not push off when you put the grip on

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
Just a thought and what I did when hubby got a little glue between his madco and grip and the same thing happened. Spray some dental floss with some wd40 and floss all the channels and see if something breaks loose. Just a thought.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If the throttle works correctly with the grip off the cables should be fine
This was my question. Does the throttle work fine with the grip off? Did it statr after you tried the gorilla glue? At what point in this process does/did it malfunction?

G

·
What brand of heated grips????

When I put the Honda Chromed Heated grips on my 1300 it clearly called out for a specific Honda Adhesive.

Unable to get that adhesive I used SILICONE RTV instead.

I am guess the heated grip is rubbing somehow against the throttle bracket -OR- whatever glue you may have use worked it's way into the throttle mechanism.

OMG I just read where you used Gorilla Glue - that crap EXPANDS as it dries/cures and can get into places it don't belong. I use it in woodworking and ONLY where I can get to the joint after it has dried to cut off the overflow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got it!

What brand of heated grips????

When I put the Honda Chromed Heated grips on my 1300 it clearly called out for a specific Honda Adhesive.

Got the same grips, nothing in the instructions about any adhesive:dontknow:

Unable to get that adhesive I used SILICONE RTV instead.

I am guess the heated grip is rubbing somehow against the throttle bracket -OR- whatever glue you may have use worked it's way into the throttle mechanism.

OK, I took everything apart to start over. When I slid the throttle sleeve off the handle there was a tiny sliver of metal shaving that was wedged inside the plastic sleeve, where the heck it came from I may never know!:yikes:

OMG I just read where you used Gorilla Glue - that crap EXPANDS as it dries/cures and can get into places it don't belong. I use it in woodworking and ONLY where I can get to the joint after it has dried to cut off the overflow.
Gorilla Glue is great stuff, used it VERY sparingly, probably too sparingly as it just didn't do what it always does on everything else, actually work!:shock:

Thanks for the input! Gotta use a sterile workplace from now on, metal shavings like that getting in other places could have caused serious problems for sure (like chaffing)!:oops:
Problem solved, thanks again!:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts