Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the kit in the mail. I noticed that it comes with Dynojet 210 carb jet. I haven't been into the carb yet but I am wondering why the kit comes with a Jet but nothing for Needle adjustment. HUH? If I install the darn jet, I'm assuming that the needle will need to be moved/replaced also. Anyways, I bought CyberHiks A/F Screw and I don't want to tear into the Carb until I can maybe hear what others recommend. i am running a 2004 1300C all stock except the stock pipes are drilled with seven 1/2" holes. (I received the bike in this condition). Any help will be appreciated.

-James

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The Air kit comes w/ a 210 main. This assumes that you have a stage 1 kit already. You would just add the 210 to your jet kit to convert it from a stage 1(pipes only) to a stage 3 (pipes and Air kit)

I recommend the Factory Pro kit.

I have the Thunder Tornado w/ HK sideburner

220 fp main
58 pilot
needle on 4th clip
2 5/8 out on the screw.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
I don't have first-hand experience with drilled-out pipes, but the 210 may be overkill for your situation. Hopefully others will chime in that have drilled-out pipes. When I bought my Tornado, they actually included a full DJ Stage 3 Kit, with a new needle, spring and different sizes of main jets. My current setup is:

DJ Stage 3 Kit = 210 main
Pilot jet: untouched (stock)
DJ needle: clip on 4th groove
2 3/4 turns out on a/f screw

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I have slightly modded Stocker Pipes, and being @ 2500' elevation, I am hoping that Scar's method and the ease of Cyberhik's screw will make it a pretty cut and dry install. With the amount of air this thing looks like it sucks, I will be suprised if I do not use any new jetting. Then again, I do like suprises.

This may seem like a stupid question, but is the stock needle adjustable?

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
BornOnFire said:
Since I have slightly modded Stocker Pipes, and being @ 2500' elevation, I am hoping that Scar's method and the ease of Cyberhik's screw will make it a pretty cut and dry install. With the amount of air this thing looks like it sucks, I will be suprised if I do not use any new jetting. Then again, I do like suprises.

This may seem like a stupid question, but is the stock needle adjustable?
Yes, you can get small shims and place them underneath the head of the stock needle.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>>"Yes, you can get small shims and place them underneath the head of the stock needle."<<

Is that what folks are doing with the Radio Shack Washers?

My basic approach is this:
a) Just install the Tornado kit.
b) Start it up.
c) Test drive.
d) Re-Jet from there as needed.

Is there anything else I may as well do while I have the seat and tank off?

G

·
The Radio Shack washers are .024 to .025 One shim makes a big diff. Start with one and the go from there. This is the only way to ajust the stock needle.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
BornOnFire said:
>>"Yes, you can get small shims and place them underneath the head of the stock needle."<<

Is that what folks are doing with the Radio Shack Washers?

My basic approach is this:
a) Just install the Tornado kit.
b) Start it up.
c) Test drive.
d) Re-Jet from there as needed.

Is there anything else I may as well do while I have the seat and tank off?
You may or may not have to rejet. If you don't mind pulling the tank off a time or two, you're plan sounds good. If you have any hesitation right off the line and the rest of the powerband is smooth, you just need to back out your a/f screw in 1/4-turn increments. I had that problem after I installed my stuff. I was at 2 1/2 turns out, so I went another 1/4 turn and that fixed me up.

Good luck. Others here will help if something comes up.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate doing something twice but I need a good baseline to start from after the install so I figure I will install the kit and CyberHik's A/F screw and go from there. Wish me luck. Out to the garage I go....... :shock: :twisted:

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
our stock jet is = to a DJ 208 so there is no reason to put in a jet that is only .02 mm larger if the jet was a 215 I would say use it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well I see you got a screamin' deal on an "S" to add to the stable, but did you ever get the new intake and A/F screw on the "C"? Did you need to rejet?

Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
At minimum you're going to need some larger main jets to play with. You're going to eventually get some new pipes.

Get the Factory pro kit and be ready for the future.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AgentOrange said:
At minimum you're going to need some larger main jets to play with. You're going to eventually get some new pipes.

I would eventually like to pick up some pipes exactly like yours.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AZVTXtra said:
Well I see you got a screamin' deal on an "S" to add to the stable, but did you ever get the new intake and A/F screw on the "C"? Did you need to rejet?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I installed the Thunder but finished the install at about 10:30pm. I did not want to wake up the neighborhood with my testing so I haven't even fired it up yet. It's actually killing me right now just thinking about it.
Then this "deal" came up yesterday so I was distracted with that as well. I figure i will fire it up this afternoon and test run it. I didn't get the A/F screw in yet but I was ablr to plug off the Pair valves and remove the pumps/hoses. I hope to find that the bike runs OK without too muchj more work...that is until I get some pipes..Mua ha ha ha ha.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
BornOnFire said:
AgentOrange said:

I would eventually like to pick up some pipes exactly like yours.
You'll then join the exclusive Tornado-Burner club. :wink:

Here's a tip for you.

If you're riding down the road at a steady cruise 35+mph and your bike hesitates. Try putting your right leg against the filter to choke some of the air off. Should the hesitation go away. You're running lean.

You may also encounter a vaccum problem. I had to slide the vent hose from the carb, (if you're looking at the Tornado face on, It will be on the left or rear of the tornado facing down through a eyelet), and pull it out of the eyelet and lay it across the carb inlet, behind where the Tornado bolts on facing toward the front of the bike. This allowed air to be forced into carb through the vent line to equalize the pressure in the float bowl. I was getting a "Ram Air" effect. Try that for an easy fix to what may appear as a Lean condition.

I still think you're gonna need some Larger Main jets even if you don't change the pipes right now.

Good luck w/ the tuning and snap some pics when you're done.

Ride safe.

You can see the vent line facing forward in this pic.

you can see the mouth of the vent in this pic.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome Tips. Appreciate it. Hey, you have a different mounting plate than I do...Hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll snap a pic tonight. Hey, I like your CC breather set-up. What is it and where can I get one? I like how you bent the Idle Adj, bracket. I was trying to make something similar. Looks awesome BTW. I wanted to pick up a chrome cover but crimony-they are high dollar!

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
BornOnFire said:
I'll snap a pic tonight. Hey, I like your CC breather set-up. What is it and where can I get one? I like how you bent the Idle Adj, bracket. I was trying to make something similar. Looks awesome BTW. I wanted to pick up a chrome cover but crimony-they are high dollar!
The CC breather is the Emgo, available here: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/mer ... e=14-20900

I just let my idle adjustment screw hang down behind the Emgo filter...I've got to hide as much black as I can! :p

And if you ever ride in the rain, you'll need some type of cover...and not the rain sock that Thunder sells...it's useless in the rain.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's the pics of my newly installed Tornado. Man this thing sucks some serious wind. Spectators need to keep their shirt-tails tucked-in with this thing around!
I will definately have to Re-Jet. This poor bike is starved for fuel. Especially in the low circuits. (Idle and Mid) I now have plans to get into this carb and Re-Jet. I will install the Main that came with the kit and then cut and add washers to the other items. God help me. It may be easier to just take the carb off and work on it whilst secured in my workbench vice.
AGENTORANGE & MR VTX:
Notice the plate I have and how different it must look. I am buying one of those breathers you have and a cover as well. (Thx for the link to the Phat site.)Where and how much was your cover that you bought?(If you don't mind my askin'?)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.