Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where do u get thunder monster baffles and what pipes do they fit. also if anyone has them drop me a line or two about them. thanks! 8) 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
They fit any pipe with an inside diameter of 1 5/8", 1 3/4", 1 7/8", 2", and 2 1/8" with removable baffles or straight pipes with no baffles.
What pipes are you running? Some of the HK's and others do not have removable baffles....that is why I ask. I have them on the HK Big 3" Straights and I love them.....lower tone and more midrange power.
Here is the site so you can see them:
http://www.bigcitythunder.com/index.shtml

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am currently not running any particular pipe, i am trying to decide on the pipes i want also! i think i have narrowed it to the hk big 3" and the V&H big shots. i do know i want these thunder monsters though! i am so particular about the sound. i want the deepest loudest rumble i can get! i plan on installing the baffles before i even put the pipes on.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I think it is easier with the pipes on with the HK 3" plus then you can get the before and after feel......
If you are looking at other HK's remembers the baffles are fixed (welded) on the 2.5” American Classic Straights, the Strippers, the 2.75” Tapered Straights, the 3” Dual Sideburners, the 2-into-1 Sideburner and the 2-into-1 Xccelerator. All of the rest of the HK's have removeable baffles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
txvtx,

thanks for that info bro. how do go about getting the originals out and putting the monsters in? by the way, awesome bike!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
It''s pretty easy, especially new. Once you get the pipes on the bike so they are secure you'll see two screws on the bottom of each pipe. The one at the end holds the end cap and the one about 6-8 inches forward holds the baffle. I took the end caps off by taking out the screws for them then took out the baffle screws. Get a heavy wire coat hangar and straighten it out then bend the end like a hook, slide it in and catch the baffle at the far end then pull it out. Mine were in for a little while so it took a little pulling to get them loose but you shouldn't have that problem. I would be sketchy about doing them before securing them to the bike because of banging them on something or scratching them, plus you might want to take it around the block with the baffles in just to be able to tell the difference.
Just a tip.....make sure you get new gaskets for where your pipes meet your jugs.....they are cheap but worth it. You can get them at your local honda shop for about $3 each or possibly wherever you are getting your pipes from if they have them. I got mine from HDL and had them add the gaskets with the order. You don't want to take them off again for an exhaust leak....trust me!
Later

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
txvtx1300 said:
They fit any pipe with an inside diameter of 1 5/8", 1 3/4", 1 7/8", 2", and 2 1/8" with removable baffles or straight pipes with no baffles.
What pipes are you running? Some of the HK's and others do not have removable baffles....that is why I ask. I have them on the HK Big 3" Straights and I love them.....lower tone and more midrange power.
Here is the site so you can see them:
http://www.bigcitythunder.com/index.shtml
Are these Thunder baffels a simple bolt in process, in place of the stock baffles? Also did you notice if you got any low end torque back? The HK3" are known for a little bottom end torque loss. Also is the sound louder in volume than the stock baffles or quieter...deeper is always a plus...especially on decel. Maybe we can get together sometime in the near fucture and drink a cup of coffee and listen to those babies purr.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Xlr8
They are easy to intall....just bolt in where the stoc HK baffle came out....takes all of five mins.
You do get some torque midrange it seems....I never noticed a loss in the low end.
I don't think it is noticably louder just lower in tone. The stock baffles seem to just disrupt the air smoothing the sound out but not really making it quiter. You'd be suprised how little the baffles are and they are just around the sides about a half inch and look like a cheese grater. Not much to them.
I'd love to meet up....getting ready to strip the bike down to the motor and frame for the next mod starting tomorrow night if my parts show up tommorow. I should have it back together by next weekend if you want to meet up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you like it loud....get em, you wont regret it :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
VTX4me said:
If you like it loud....get em, you wont regret it :D :D :D
I like them loud..it's the little wifey that sits right on top of them that likes it a little mellower. txvtx1300 I would like to meet up sometime. I live in Pasadena, you can PM me where you are. I'm headed out to JonnyCheese's tommorrow to have him tune the X....it needs some rejetting work, never have gotten it perfect since the air kit install.... Then it's off to Big Bend...I know it's a tough life, but somebody has to do it. When I get back in town I'll give you a holler and well meet up. Thanks for the advice. I'm really thinking hard about the Thunder Baffles, we'll see after Saturday.
Take it easy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts