Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another forum I'm a member of is asking members to fess up with stories about the times you've been pulled over by cops. I thought it might be an interesting thread, so here goes my confessions (add yours):

For some context, I've been riding for 35 years and most of them involved daily rides to/from work in our very congested Southern California roads and freeways. Having said this, I will also add that during the first five or so years of my riding I had to learn the hard way that even though you can safely go very fast on a motorcycle, the law doesn't like you using your own judgment as to where to do it.

Honestly, I've been ticketed for speeding so many times I've lost count. Almost of them were on freeways and involved hidden cops with radar guns. I clearly recall my first speeding ticket and being amazed that I was going as fast as the cop claimed because I hadn't yet realized a motorcycle engine can sound like it's barely going even though you're blazing down the road at the bikes 'cruising' speed.

Only once was I ever ticketed on a bike for something other than speeding and in that instance I actually saw the cop sitting right there watching me approach the stop sign he said I did a 'California Stop' at. This is where the driver pauses, but doesn't actually come to a full stop. Thing is, I had perfected my balance on my bike by then that I can come to a full stop and then go without putting my feet down. When the cop pulled behind me I remember wondering what he could possible be pulling me over for.

When the cop told me, "You failed to stop at the posted sign" I argued with him pointing out that there is no stated amount of time (seconds) vehicles are required to sit before moving forward again. The cop basically said that that stop sign has a problem with people doing 'California stops' and this is why I was ticketed. It was a totally bogus ticket from my point of view but I didn't fight it, (tickets were MUCH cheaper back then).

In once case I was speeding home from my work shift that ended at 12 midnight and the freeways were deserted so I really opened up on a long straightaway. I saw a cop way ahead of me ticking someone else so I slowed down to the limit and passed. As soon as I crested a hill on the freeway stretch that sloped down and put me out of the cops sight I got back on the throttle and to my surprise I saw lights eventually in my mirrors so I slowed back down in case it was the cop. They must have been flying to catch up with me, but when they did I was pulled over. The cop told me I must have been doing 100-120 mph and that he had a right to impound my motorcycle as well as give me a ticket. Fortunately my license showed him I lived right down the street of the off ramp we were at, and probably because he didn't really get a chance to clock me, he let me go with a warning.

Another time I was late for work and was speeding on the freeway and saw a California Highway Patrol ahead of me so I quickly slowed to posted speed, however I noticed the CHP was also slowing down so much that he got beside me and pulled me over. I never even imagined a CHP would ever pull someone over for speeding based on seeing you in a mirror! He let me off with a warning, most likely because had I tried to fight the ticket it would have been hard to explain how he could clock me by watching me in his mirrors as he was driving.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
last speeding ticket.... 4 years ago.. only type of ticket I ever received.

exiting a small town.. the 55 mph sign is just feet ahead
third gear.. up to 55 I go .. and then I was pulled over . he was behind a row of tall bushes

as he got to me , he said I am sorry to do this....
your record shows the last ticket was more then 20 years ago...
so he gave me a ticket of 45.. in a 35... because I did NOT pass the 55 sign before speeding up..

but long ago.. sport bikes.... if they had seen me...
loss of license, bike impounded... major fines.. Jail time.
3x55
before I went to super bike school and track days.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This past October in VA on the 81 I was cruising along (cruise control on) with traffic and there was a car that kept passing, slowing, then staying beside me. He'd slow down then pass me get in front and eventually slow down again. He wasnt messing with me but obviously needed to use his cruise control. Or maybe he was gawking at the all mighty VTX......
Coming up a long hill I sped up a bit as I passed him and got dinged. The cop sitting a 1/4 mile down the road pulled me over for 10mph over.
I think he had the ticket pre-written. Took all of about 3 minutes from the time I stopped to the time he handed me the ticket and I left. Gave him my license but he did not even want to see registration or insurance cards.

That was a ticket purely for the dollars.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The cop sitting a 1/4 mile down the road pulled me over for 10mph over.
Gave him my license but he did not even want to see registration or insurance cards.

That was a ticket purely for the dollars.
Same thing happened to me, I got a speeding ticket in 2014, cop was hiding with radar gun as I came around as the road that went into a curve. I was ticketed in a 45 in a 35 speed limit. Talking to people about speeding tickets, I found out around the 10mph over the speed limit is when a cop will pull you over and give you a ticket. I try to stay not going 5mph over speed limit. Since doing this I haven't gotten a ticket, even when I passed a cop that was on the side of the road in a hiding spot.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I cant even tell you the number of tickets on a bike? Most just get dismissed after I pay something.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Only ever been stopped once on a bike, I was 18 and on my Honda Interceptor. It was early April, my birthday is at the end of the month. Here we have until our birthday to renew our registration sticker, which just has the month and year of expiry on it. They checked out my paperwork and sent me on my way. Just an excuse to harass a teen on a bike.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Got one photo-radar speeding ticket, but it got automatically dismissed... other than that no tickets. Had a forest ranger pull up next to me and ask me to slow down, he spent more time gawking at my bike.

Different story when i was a teenager... got pulled over all the time without a license on the Honda 90 step-thru scoot, i was like 13-14yo.
always told to walk it home... jumped back on and rode after cops were out of sight.
Later, still in my teens 14-15yo got a criminal trespassing ticket while dirt bike riding on what turned out to be private property. There were 5 of us that got the same ticket. Buddy broke his arm and an ambulance came, that's probably why...
Ticket got reduced or dismissed later.

·
Registered
10,983 Posts
This past October in VA on the 81 I was cruising along (cruise control on) with traffic and there was a car that kept passing, slowing, then staying beside me. He'd slow down then pass me get in front and eventually slow down again. He wasnt messing with me but obviously needed to use his cruise control. Or maybe he was gawking at the all mighty VTX......
Coming up a long hill I sped up a bit as I passed him and got dinged. The cop sitting a 1/4 mile down the road pulled me over for 10mph over.
I think he had the ticket pre-written. Took all of about 3 minutes from the time I stopped to the time he handed me the ticket and I left. Gave him my license but he did not even want to see registration or insurance cards. That was a ticket purely for the dollars.
Ironic that "Virginia is for Lovers" is the tourism and travel slogan of the U.S. commonwealth of Virginia.
With about 100 crossovers that they hide on I-81. They love to take your money!

I do not recall getting a ticket on the MC. Held up by a cop for about 10 minutes timeout, prior to a Mardi Gras parade with cages going down the road at the same time.

I wave at most all PO now.
With the number of MC charity rides the local cops in my area seem to give MC riders some slack.
Maybe the wave and being a senior gives me a few credits...

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To their credit, The California Highway patrol does an excellent job of catching speeders, and would do better if they weren't spread so thin. With as much experience as I have getting speeding tickets, (all on freeways) I've become savvy to their 'tricks' and knowing them has saved me a number of times from tickets.

Tricks:
  • Parking at the top of raised on-ramp. This allows a view from atop the hill to speeding drivers passing below. When a speeder is seen, they 'swoop' down the on-ramp for 'the kill'.
  • Parking around a curve. This allows the cop to sit unseen to oncoming traffic that is scanned with a radar gun as they approach.
  • Parking at the bottom of a rise/hill. This allows a cop to sit unseen to oncoming traffic that is scanned with a radar gun as they come over the hilltop.
The VTX is the first truly 'cruiser' bike I've ever owned, and speeding tickets were a big part of my choosing a bike I planned to ride within the speed limits (mostly). I've owned my VTX 12 years now and so far, no tickets! (y)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I was ticketed while stopped for gas once in 1980. The CHP was cool though, I had hit speeds of 130 going up highway 62 towards Yucca Valley on my 1979 Yamaha XS1100. I stopped for gas in Yucca Valley and had just started pumping gas when he pulled into the gas station overheated:oops:. He gave me a ticket for 70+ and then asked if I would share how fast I had been going (since I did not maintain a speed he was not able to clock me). I was messing around with another speeding bike that was slower than mine. I told him I had hit 130 and he said he thought so because his car was doing 65 up the hill when he tried to figure my speed and it looked like I doubled the distance between us. He then told me he rode bikes and knew how it was and if I would not have stopped I would have gotten away as they had NO communication over the hill back then. He then said in the future don't stop:LOL:. The other guy on a bike got away because he didn't stop for gas.

I got pulled over on my way to work at 3:50 AM because the cop heard me coming, I was going 90 outside town. I had slowed to the speed limit before he saw me. When I past the driveway he was in I saw him standing by his car then he pulled out and turned on his lights, I was about 1/3rd of a mile ahead of him when I pulled overHe said by the sound he could tell I was going over 100 and told me to keep it slowed down. He did try to say he could ticket me and impound my bike but I remained polite because I knew it was my best shot of not being hassled and I had just been doing 90. A warning for 90 is something I'll gladly take.

I routinely go 5-10 over and frequently go 15-20 over but the last ticket I got was in 1980. Spidey senses are strong, they are! I watch my mirrors about as much as what's ahead and know the tricks the radar cops use too.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Only ticket I have ever had was on my VTX which is amazing considering how many miles and semi-quick driving I do. If you're only doing 10-15 mph over 60 on any of our highways, get ready to be tail gated, light flashed and some bad stares.

I was being an idiot with a friend on his superbike, doing well over 100 on the highway and trying to barely keep up. When we took an exit, we got to a stop sign where we waved goodbye and he would go straight while I turned right. With the adrenaline still pumping, we both got on it and I just hit the rev limiter in second, dropped into 3rd when the cop stepped out from behind a tree.....in a school zone (school was closed but no excuses). I actually had to get hard on the brakes to stop without blowing by him.

He actually said "nice bike, what's your hurry?"
I told him the truth, was going to be one of my last rides of the year and I was just having a blast but didn't have an excuse.

I was easily doing 60+ in a 30....After making me sweat for about 15 minutes, he wrote me up for the minimum fine, no points. I couldn't believe how lucky I was. 1 speeding ticket in my life.

Too embarrassed to say some of the things I did as a kid and lived through and didn't get caught

·
Registered
83 Posts
Talking to people about speeding tickets, I found out around the 10mph over the speed limit is when a cop will pull you over and give you a ticket. I try to stay not going 5mph over speed limit. Since doing this I haven't gotten a ticket, even when I passed a cop that was on the side of the road in a hiding spot.
It's a VTX...how do you know what speed you are actually going? The speedometer is a best guess, right? :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts