Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I need new tires for the new season here in Chi-town. My front tire is a little dry rotted and has some cracks in the sidewalls...so definately need the front, and I'm pretty sure I should replace the back one too so they're even, right? I have the OEM Dunlops on there now, and I'm not sure if I should get another brand or just stick w/ the OEM's. And I've been reading the forums about saving money taking off the tires to save some dough, but I dont have a garage or a lift, so I'm probably gonna take the whole bike in. Is it cheaper to buy tires online? Like I said, first time buying tires for my first bike, so I'm kinda lost, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:dontknow::sad:

I

·
0 Posts
Put a set of Metzeler ME880 on front and back this winter. Got out this weekend for first ride on them. Wow, what a difference from the stock Dunlops. Even eliminated my front end wobbble.

Without a lift, you are probably left to a shop unless a neighbor can help. I bought mine through DLP and the price was better than anyone local.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Make & model would be helpful. If you don't have the means to remove the wheels yourself, then try finding a local steller that would do the work. Some stellers would only mount tire that they sell so call around first.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Get some estimates from local shops and dealers. Ask for prices if you buy the tire or they supply it and/or if you remove the wheels. The mark-up may not be that much. And unless you have the tools and knowledge you're not saving yourself a bunch of money.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
It looks like you have a 1300C (profile info). I had Pirelli's route 66 on mine 1300C when I bought it. They lasted 12K miles, could of gone longer by 2-3K.

Shop around for some independent bike shops, you might be saving a few $$$.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got my Metzeler ME880's from Dennis Kirk. Great price and prompt delivery. I have an "S" model so I used Dynabeads instead of spoke weights. Far superior to the Dunlops that I took off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just put Metzler ME880's on this winter myself. They are great tires and many ppl on here suggested them to me. I strongly suggest you remove the tires from the bike and find a great price on the tires and then have someone mount them. Taking the tires off the bike are easier than you would think and you get to know your bike so much better. plus it cuts your mounting in half! Even if you aren't a gearhead, there is plenty of ppl here that can help you through and I'm sure there is another chi-town VTXer on this site that might even come over and help you out! my father in law needed someone to help him and he found someone on the site to give him a hand too. It is a great project to get you working on your bike and saving some major money. all you need is some basic tools to do the front and back so I encourage you to do most of the labor yourself! :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! Thanks for all the advice! I will have to check into the Metzeler's.

Thanks again everyone! :bowdown:

Cant wait for the season to start!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dunlops

I ordered new Dunlops from Motorcycle Superstore. They delivered them to a local dealer who put them on for me. I saved a bundle, the tires are great, and I had no problems.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
It looks like you have a 1300C (profile info). I had Pirelli's route 66 on mine 1300C when I bought it. They lasted 12K miles, could of gone longer by 2-3K.

Shop around for some independent bike shops, you might be saving a few $$$.

:agree:

I've got Rt 66's now, and will buy the same to replace when these wear out. . . Excellent traction wet and dry, good handling, good price.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just ordered the 1300C metzeler 880s combo should be here tomorrow, along with the dyna beads. ordered from DLP:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I just ordered a set of Metzler 880's from DLP (the site sponsor) Free shipping and right now there is a sale ! 10% off until Tuesday 3/15/2011

Can't beat that.

·
Old Goat
25,645 Posts
i run a stock cast R 140 and also swap out for a 110 C wheel when the mood suits me..I just took advantage of the DLP sale got a metz 140 and thought I would try the pirelli rt 66 in a 110, but I will say this that pirelli is one fugly tire with them big ole raised letters....:dontknow: good luck on your choice...

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Metzler or Avon gets my vote!

I just ordered a set of Metzler 880's from DLP (the site sponsor) Free shipping and right now there is a sale ! 10% off until Tuesday 3/15/2011

Can't beat that.
:agree:

I did a LOT of research on tires before I bought mine and my searching on this site indicated that the two top choices for tires were Avon venom and Metzler 880's. I ended up buying the the Metzlers and am very happy with them.

Before I would yank off the tires to save a buck I'd call around and see if the savings are worth the labor. For me the cost was worth paying my local dealer to pull the tires off the bike and remount. I also used the Dyna Beads with my tire change and am totally sold on how they help smooth out the bike (had a mirror vibration they fixed).

:thumbup:Good luck!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Darkside

I can't believe no one has suggested a 205/70/15 Rear car tire and i run an General Grabber UHP with Avon AM26 Roadrider on the front.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Oh no you dit-ant!

I can't believe no one has suggested a 205/70/15 Rear car tire and i run an General Grabber UHP with Avon AM26 Roadrider on the front.

Wait for it. . . :roll:;):popcorn:

·
Registered
562 Posts
So, I need new tires for the new season here in Chi-town. My front tire is a little dry rotted and has some cracks in the sidewalls...so definately need the front, and I'm pretty sure I should replace the back one too so they're even, right? I have the OEM Dunlops on there now, and I'm not sure if I should get another brand or just stick w/ the OEM's. And I've been reading the forums about saving money taking off the tires to save some dough, but I dont have a garage or a lift, so I'm probably gonna take the whole bike in. Is it cheaper to buy tires online? Like I said, first time buying tires for my first bike, so I'm kinda lost, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:dontknow::sad:
I will be in your situation before too long so although I've never removed the wheels I'd be happy to lend a hand. I have a lift and a PepsX stand and we don't live all that far from one another. Let me know if you decide to remove the wheels yourself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just put on Metzlers and the bike feels much better. The first time I rode with the new tires, the bike just wanted to lean smoothly into the curves with little effort. I'm getting used to them now but am ready to get past my first 100 miles so I can give it some hell.8)

·
Registered
195 Posts
OEM for Me

I ride a 1300 C, 13,800 miles out of the rear OEM K555 and 17,500 out of the front F24 Dunlop’s. Both were run to just the ware bars. I replaced both with the stock OEM tire. I have had no issues with the OME tires. Many of my motorcycle buddies run OEM and other aftermarket band tires here in Arizona where the asphalt in the summer can melt the soles on your shoes , we all get about the same mileage out of a set of tires + or – a few miles. . New tires no matter what brand you install will make your bike feel and handle better as if it were band new. Consider the price and over all mileage for that price. A K555 Dunlop at $135 and 13,800 miles is good value in my book. I don’t believe Honda would have put a tire on a motorcycle in today’s law suit world that would have been unsafe they have done R & D. Road conditions in different parts of the country will greatly affect tire mileage. Also you need to know all the specifics when making your choice as weight and equipment make a difference. My Specifics. I ride solo, 6’5’ 285, ride 200 to 400 miles a week, ride mostly highway interstates, and ride in town to bike night and to the office once a week. Tire pressures 40 ft 40 rear, check my tire pressures when I ride daily, Dyna Bead balanced, N C 2up Switchblade windshield, Viking bags. For me its Dunlop OEM tires on my VTX. To each his or her own! Good luck and Ride Safe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts