Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2018 I put on a set of stock Dunlop tires on my bike. Well 6,000 miles later the back tire is getting smooth. So much for trying to save a buck buying cheap tires.

I could use some advice. I am getting older now and don't anticipate very many long distance trips but I still ride most every chance I get. Living in N.E. Ohio, I need a good tire in the rain but want to get descent milage out of a set as well. Not going to worry about price that much this time around. Seems like quite a few choices these days, but what do you folks recommend?

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Unless I missed it...maybe u should mention what bike u need tires for...:frown: good luck on your choice...:thumbup:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry,
It is a 2004 VTX1300S

140/80 - 17 Front
170/80 - 15 Rear

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got about 7000 miles out of a set of Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires. That's 7000 miles of twisty backroads in eastern Kentucky, Western WV, and Southern Ohio. Very little interstate.

I just replaced them with a set of Pirelli M66's.

We shall see how they do.

·
Registered
982 Posts
After running Metzeler for 10 years I had an Avon put up front on my 1800 just last week.
If I only had known how much nicer the Avon feels I would have swapped 10 years ago.
Just gotta wear out the rear tire a little more and I'll switch that too.

·
Registered
28,535 Posts
I've used Metzlers on all my bikes once the stocks needed replacing.
Excellent grip, good on wet roads, and on my X, 18K was about the average miles.

On my Yami, which is a bit heavier, I changed out the rear at 16K.

Also, I've heard good things about Avon's, may try them next.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Front I've been running metzeler 880 and or 888 for 8 years. the rear goes about 17k , front about 14k . Did put on a Michelin commander on the rear last year and like it . Yeah , ive never saved any money buying cheep tires in the long run either.. My front tire tends to wear on the left side . This year i turned the front tire around at 6k to even out the wear.. very happy with doing that so far ..07 1300R . eo

·
Registered
219 Posts
I love reading about tire recommendations as it can be pretty expensive to try them yourself and really, who needs to reinvent the wheel?

I only have one request though.

Please list the model of the tire in addition to the brand.

I have pulled up some of the brands mentioned and there will be multiple models to choose from and they are all different in specifications.

Thanks!

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
If u can try the Elite 3 or 4’s and get back to us...:grin2: ...good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts