Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am going to remove my tank, front and rear fender, side covers and both tires. Might sound like a dumb question, but is there any particular order I should do this. The only reason I ask is because I remember installing my progressive shocks and having to lift the tire up and down to get the shocks to slip into place. If I remove the rear tire first, will I have a problem removing the shocks so that I can remove the rear fender?

Also any tips that may make this process easier for me would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing, after removing the tank and removing the pump from the tank what other prepping do I need to do before shipping tank for paint? I keep picturing this package(gas tank) going through the mail system smelling like gas having everyone thinking its some kind of terrorist bomb or something. Go ahead and laugh but you all know what kind of world we live in now, I dont want my package being inspected by some kind of bomb disposal robot instead of getting to the painter. :roll:

By the way, we are talking about a 2003 VTX1800C. Thanks in advance for any help.

rick

·
Registered
554 Posts
make sure to removal all rubbers from the tank, grommets and such, not condoms, well if there in your tank I suppose you should take them out too.

you could always remove the shocks before removing the wheel too.

Who's doing the paint?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hivoltg wrote:
huh? what? Did someone say an auction to help haveme1 for a custom paint job??????

Yep. That's right! I just got off the phone with VTXOAK! He is offering a custom paint job to the winner of this auction!

All bids will be made here, in this thread. The winning bidder will PM me for payment info. Then VTXOAK will contact them through PM to set up the details.

The paint job will be described byt he artist himself, VTXOAK, in a following post.

Let the bidding begin!

Thanks to all the members here. You guys are really coming together for haveme1.
Thank you VTXOAK for such a generous offer!
Cody
Firemanirfd wrote:

Who's doing the paint?
Robert Oakley, owner of Show Time Custom Paint
http://robertoakley.com/

I got a lot thanks for being the one that bid the highest in the the "custom paint auction." Its true that I was motivated by haveme1's unfortunate motorcycle accident. I figured I could get the paint job that I always wanted and at the same time I could also somehow feel like I was helping out a fellow vtx'er in a time of need. But when you really think about it, the real generousity was in Robert Oakley's heart. Yeah, I bid high on the auction, but in return I am getting an awesome custom paint job. Robert, however is the one who has donated his time, skills, labor, paint and all the supplies needed for this project free of charge. I think it was a uniquely generous show of compassion on Roberts part. My hats off to you Robert.................................................now amaze me with a KILLER paint job! :lol:
rick

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ive heard that leaving the cap off of the tank for a while is good for getting the excess fuel out...maybe even the smell

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just stripped my R for paint over the winter, I did not have to remove the rear wheel. Just took off the right side shock and grab rail. By the way, nothing gets the smell out, my wife complained for 2 weeks every time I brought the tank in to wet sand.

·
Mad Hatter
21,352 Posts
U Still have not gotten your New Tins?? I would have thought U would have had it by now...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin Kuiper said:
U Still have not gotten your New Tins?? I would have thought U would have had it by now...
Yeah, I would have thought so too, its been eight weeks so far. But the bike's been up and running all this time so it hasnt been to bad. From what I understand it may be finished by the end of next week. I plan on getting my wheels powdercoated gloss black. Should look good. I'll definately post pictures when I get everything back.

·
Mad Hatter
21,352 Posts
rickyricardo said:
Kevin Kuiper said:
Yeah, I would have thought so too, its been eight weeks so far. But the bike's been up and running all this time so it hasnt been to bad. From what I understand it may be finished by the end of next week. I plan on getting my wheels powdercoated gloss black. Should look good. I'll definately post pictures when I get everything back.
OK, Keep Us Posted!! Do U have ANY Preview Pictures ???

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being that this is the first time I've ever stripped a bike down to this level, I can honestly say that it wasnt difficult at all. What does scare the hell out of me is thinking about trying to re mount the newly painted rear fender. Doesnt look easy.

rick

·
Mad Hatter
21,352 Posts
rickyricardo said:
Kevin Kuiper said:
OK, Keep Us Posted!! Do U have ANY Preview Pictures ???
Just these.........................

WOW!!! She's NAKED :oops: :oops: :oops: I See Her Under Sides :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Mad Hatter
21,352 Posts
Well now that U have gone this far, WHY not Paint the Engine :wink: :wink: Not Much Left to pull off!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts