Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So I'm getting ready to mount my new Shinkos up on my 1300r, and instead of wheel weights and traditional balancing I have decided to try balancing beads.
I have read that the front tire should take 1 ounce of weight, and the rear should take 2 ounces for the stock tire sizes. Has anyone who uses beads confirm these weights?
Thanks!

· Registered
2004 VTX1300S converted to R
687 Posts
I have used Dyna Beads previously. I did use 1oz in the front and 2oz in the rear tire. You can check out the Dyna Beads website

I have used them in two sets of tires. I did not have any issues with the beads in the first set. I added the beads after the shop that mounted and balances the tires. The shops I used to mount the tiress would not put the beads in the tires. Same for the second set. But with the second set of tires with beads I had problems with the bead getting stuck in the valve core. I would go to check the air pressure and the valve core would not seat when I took the pressure gauge off the valve stem. The beads would be stuck in the valve core and the tire would go flat pretty fast. This happened several times. I started carrying around a valve core tool and extra valve cores. The valve stems on my wheel have a 90 degree bend in them.

I will not use beads any more. Your mileage may very.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
I used DynaBeads in one set of tires and had no problem with them. In the next set of tires I switched to Ride-On sealant and have no problem at all with tire balance without any weights on the rim. Do a search on this site for Ride-On and you will see many positive results.

· Registered
1,042 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tires that I'm replacing have Ride-On in them currently, but I have yet to use the beads, hence my wanting to try them this time around.
I don't have a fighter in the corner of either product, and I'm sure the end-result of using either product will be a balanced tire that goes down the road just fine.
What I am most concerned with is the large 140/80r17 front tire and the proper amount of ballast to use in front. One ounce seems like a sufficient amount of weight for any mc tire of decent manufacture, but I figured I would double-check with those that have played this game already!

· Registered
13,640 Posts
The tires that I'm replacing have Ride-On in them currently, but I have yet to use the beads, hence my wanting to try them this time around.
I don't have a fighter in the corner of either product, and I'm sure the end-result of using either product will be a balanced tire that goes down the road just fine.
What I am most concerned with is the large 140/80r17 front tire and the proper amount of ballast to use in front. One ounce seems like a sufficient amount of weight for any mc tire of decent manufacture, but I figured I would double-check with those that have played this game already!
As has been previously mentioned, the sealant properties of Ride-On should convince anyone to stick with the proven qualities of the product. +1 here for Ride-On!

Reactions: DrDolittle

· Registered
1,884 Posts
Why add beads to an already balanced tire?
Tires as they wear do not stay balanced. You want to remove any weights that might already be on there.

I use beads in 3 bikes, yes think it was 1oz front and 2 rear for the X. Keep a few extra ounces and when the shop takes off the old tire I scoop them out with a piece of paper and save for the next change. Just keep recycling never have thrown any away. Re-weigh them on my reloading scale and add if needed to get back to the original weight, ready for the next change.

· Registered
2007 1300 C
630 Posts
Hello,
So I'm getting ready to mount my new Shinkos up on my 1300r, and instead of wheel weights and traditional balancing I have decided to try balancing beads.
I have read that the front tire should take 1 ounce of weight, and the rear should take 2 ounces for the stock tire sizes. Has anyone who uses beads confirm these weights?
Thanks!
This is what I use:
Tire Charts – eztirebeads

Font Number Parallel Rectangle Slope

· Registered
86 Posts
After a less than pleasant customer service experience with DynaBead when I called to ask a couple questions about the product, I switched to Counteract beads.
Counteract has a calculator on there website to help determine the amount of beads to use. Plug in your vehicle type and tire size and it tells you the amount of beads to use
Search my posts about Ride-On, it saved me already once. 1 bottle up front, 2 in the rear using their motorcycle formula. This amount is good for motorcycle or car tires in the rear.
I have been going back and forth on trying Ride-on.
On the one hand everything I read about it sounds good and I am interested...
On the other a quick google search indicates that it is +/-$15 per bottle. At $45 for one bottle in the front and two in the rear it's pretty spendy.
Thats 4 times (give or take) what running balance beads costs

· Registered
1,137 Posts
After a less than pleasant customer service experience with DynaBead when I called to ask a couple questions about the product, I switched to Counteract beads.
Counteract has a calculator on there website to help determine the amount of beads to use. Plug in your vehicle type and tire size and it tells you the amount of beads to use

On the other a quick google search indicates that it is +/-$15 per bottle. At $45 for one bottle in the front and two in the rear it's pretty spendy.
But, if the Ride-On does work as advertised, and you do have a puncture out in the middle of nowhere and it gets you home. How much is that worth? :unsure:🤷‍♂️

Reactions: rangers4u

· Registered
1,380 Posts
I say it's worth it. I would have gone down if it hadn't been for Ride-On. How much is your life worth to you?

I will never ride without it.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
But, if the Ride-On does work as advertised, and you do have a puncture out in the middle of nowhere and it gets you home. How much is that worth? :unsure:🤷‍♂️
No need to say "if." I am living proof that it works. I heard a loud pop, a short hiss over my VERY loud batwing and exhaust at 60 mph, it instantly sealed up. If only I didn't pull over, I'm confident it would have kept a good seal (the engineers at Ride-On said I should have kept going but did the right thing playing it safe) allowing me to ride the 35 more miles to get home.

I wasn't sure what the sound was so, I pulled over, and am alive to tell the story. It did let the air out when I was stopped at the side of the road. But it was a large hole, and I safely pulled over.

I receive no money, and have not conflicts to report. I just want people to have the same safety net I have.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
This type of response servers no purpose.
Once someone brings up cost as a should I, shouldn't I, it serves a very good purpose. If you had never brough up price, and I said that I would agree. But since you brought up the cost, then that is exactly the question you should be asking yourself. Is this where I want to save money?

Not trying to start an argument here but by that rationale the vast majority of people who don't use ride-on don't value their life?
I did not imply that. You are worrying about buying Ride-On because of the $45 cost, just to save what $20 - $30 vs beads? I am asking the question, is that difference ($20-$30) worth your life? If you had no interest in Ride-On, I would not have asked that question...

Good luck with your decision.

· Registered
7,829 Posts
No need to say "if." I am living proof that it works.
Since the VTX 1300R (spoked) runs on tubed tires, I had read that Ride-On may not seal tubed tires as well since air can leak out of a punctured tube and out of the spoke mounts. I'm guessing your positive experience largely has to do with your bike having sealed rims, as compared to spokes. Still Ride-On does advertise as working for tubed tires, but hard to see if they mean tubed with sealed rims, or both sealed and spoke?

I used Dyna-beads for years and felt they performed as advertised. They helped reduce some mirror vibration, so it was apparent to me they worked. Follow the manufacture's recommendation for whatever brand of balance beads you buy, but as I recall, Dyna-beads recommended minimum of 1 oz. in the front, and 2 oz. in the rear, (that is what I used on my 1300 R).

I personally upgraded from beads to Ride-On, after researching the product, (see link below) and concluding is it a superior option since it also seals flats, even if sealing tube tires with spokes is 'iffy'.
Ride-On

Reactions: Merry Prankster

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Since the VTX 1300R (spoked) runs on tubed tires, I had read that Ride-On may not seal tubed tires as well since air can leak out of a punctured tube and out of the spoke mounts. I'm guessing your positive experience largely has to do with your bike having sealed rims, as compared to spokes. Still Ride-On does advertise as working for tubed tires, but hard to see if they mean tubed with sealed rims, or both sealed and spoke?
You are correct that I have no experience with Ride-On with tubed wheels. I think they say it seals the tube, so as long as you do not have a hole in the tire big enough that would allow the tube to push out, I would imagine it would work as advertised. But that is a good question. When I had my blowout, I called their engineers and had a lengthy discussion. I'm sure they would be able to explain how it should work with both situations you brought up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts