Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
13,620 Posts
After a less than pleasant customer service experience with DynaBead when I called to ask a couple questions about the product, I switched to Counteract beads.
Counteract has a calculator on there website to help determine the amount of beads to use. Plug in your vehicle type and tire size and it tells you the amount of beads to use

I have been going back and forth on trying Ride-on.
On the one hand everything I read about it sounds good and I am interested...
On the other a quick google search indicates that it is +/-$15 per bottle. At $45 for one bottle in the front and two in the rear it's pretty spendy.
Thats 4 times (give or take) what running balance beads costs
How much is stranded in Bumfuk anywhere late at night w/ no cell phone service worth? Or the following tow job? Or time lost? I was going to try the Counteract beads once, before i got the Ride-On and have never looked back, and never will.

Reactions: DrDolittle

· Registered
86 Posts
since the VTX 1300R (spoked) runs on tubed tires, I had read that Ride-On may not seal tubed tires as well since air can leak out of a punctured tube and out of the spoke mounts
Ride-On's site says that it works in tubed tires though at a lesser efficiency
From The Frequently Asked questions page on Ride-On's site
Q: Does Ride-On work in tube and tubeless tires?
A: Ride-On will eliminate 85-95% of your flats in tubeless tires from objects up to 1/4" (1/8” for tube tires) that penetrate the contact area of your tire. Ride-On’s efficiency in tube tires is reduced to 55-65% since puncturing objects often tear the tube. It is impossible for a tire sealant to seal a tear. It is vital to remove the puncturing object immediately from a tire containing a tube to prevent further damage that can result in tearing the tube.
How much is stranded in Bumfuk anywhere late at night w/ no cell phone service worth?
I addressed my own feelings on this line of thinking earlier, this type of argument doesn't particularly sway my opinion.
A cpl hundred thousand miles on motorcycles over decades of riding without a failure that would strand me or cost me my life tells me i'll probably be ok without using Ride-on if I choose not to.
I already acknowledged that the product is interesting and I like everything I read about it except for the cost, which I think is a legitimate consideration.
+/- $45 per bike per tire change (front and rear) when I own multiple bikes and often change tires more than once in a season is expensive to me.
If another person feels the cost benefit works for them...have at it. I am not trying to talk anyone out of using it lol

· Registered
7,827 Posts
You are correct that I have no experience with Ride-On with tubed wheels. I think they say it seals the tube, so as long as you do not have a hole in the tire big enough that would allow the tube to push out, I would imagine it would work as advertised. But that is a good question. When I had my blowout, I called their engineers and had a lengthy discussion. I'm sure they would be able to explain how it should work with both situations you brought up.
Actually, I read (forgot where) that how well Ride-On might seal a puncture of a tube tire with spokes would depend on how the tube was damaged from the puncture. If just a hole, the Ride-On has a chance of sealing, however if the tube was torn/split with the puncture, Ride-On may not seal the tube, (where the Ride-On will be inside) and the air can then leak out of the tube, and out through either the tire puncture, or through the spoke mounts holes.

· Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,914 Posts

· Registered
13,620 Posts
Ride-On's site says that it works in tubed tires though at a lesser efficiency
From The Frequently Asked questions page on Ride-On's site
Q: Does Ride-On work in tube and tubeless tires?
A: Ride-On will eliminate 85-95% of your flats in tubeless tires from objects up to 1/4" (1/8” for tube tires) that penetrate the contact area of your tire. Ride-On’s efficiency in tube tires is reduced to 55-65% since puncturing objects often tear the tube. It is impossible for a tire sealant to seal a tear. It is vital to remove the puncturing object immediately from a tire containing a tube to prevent further damage that can result in tearing the tube.

I addressed my own feelings on this line of thinking earlier, this type of argument doesn't particularly sway my opinion.
A cpl hundred thousand miles on motorcycles over decades of riding without a failure that would strand me or cost me my life tells me i'll probably be ok without using Ride-on if I choose not to.
I already acknowledged that the product is interesting and I like everything I read about it except for the cost, which I think is a legitimate consideration.
+/- $45 per bike per tire change (front and rear) when I own multiple bikes and often change tires more than once in a season is expensive to me.
If another person feels the cost benefit works for them...have at it. I am not trying to talk anyone out of using it lol
You know as well as I do, that it only takes that -1- time predicament to sway your opinion. I thankfully, am the type of person that prefers to be pro-active about my safety, and safety of OTHERS in event of an accident, and do all I can to prevent such occurrences. You do your life, I will do mine.

· Registered
13,620 Posts
So no consequences if a person should install too much weight in balance beads?
Whether beads or sealant gel, a little more than recommended will not harm anything.

· Registered
1,377 Posts
So the argument has progressed from If a person chooses not to use Ride-On they don't value their own life/safety to If they don't choose to use it they don't value other people's lives/safety.
Got it
Sounds like we are all morally obligated to use Ride-On than.
No one said that. You are not comprehending what people are posting, and taking offense. No one here is looking to offend you, just provide their opinion/suggestions. You seem like you don't want to use Ride-On. Good, don't, it is entirely up to you. You will not all of a sudden die because you aren't using Ride-On. Balancing beads are a well-known and used product, I used them for years in my Jeep (I eventually switched to BB's, then centramatic balancers).

· Registered
86 Posts
No one said that.
Not really sure how the what's your life worth and proactive about my safety, and safety of OTHERS in event of an accident statements are supposed to be interperted if not in the way I did.
Obviously I was having some fun with it, but just as obviously my attempt at humor failed.
You are not comprehending what people are posting
I have comprehended the posts in this thread just fine.
No one here is looking to offend you, just provide their opinion/suggestions.
I have not been offended by any post nor have I implied such. My responses have been polite and provided an alternate take on a product being discussed.
You seem like you don't want to use Ride-On.
I never said I don't want to or wouldn't use the product, In fact I have multiple times in this thread stated that I think it is an interesting product and have considered using it.
My criticism has been solely of it's cost
You will not all of a sudden die because you aren't using Ride-On.
Phew! Glad to have that confirmed.

· Registered
13,620 Posts
Not really sure how the what's your life worth and proactive about my safety, and safety of OTHERS in event of an accident statements are supposed to be interperted if not in the way I did.
Obviously I was having some fun with it, but just as obviously my attempt at humor failed.

I have comprehended the posts in this thread just fine.

I have not been offended by any post nor have I implied such. My responses have been polite and provided an alternate take on a product being discussed.

I never said I don't want to or wouldn't use the product, In fact I have multiple times in this thread stated that I think it is an interesting product and have considered using it.
My criticism has been solely of it's cost

Phew! Glad to have that confirmed.
You will only suddenly die if you were to switch to Darkside. Yup.

· Registered
13,620 Posts
x2. I know I did when I went Darkside. Even worse, when I added Ride-On to it...
LOL I'm turned inside out every time I hit warp drive.

• Haha
Reactions: DrDolittle and JPT

· Old Goat
26,950 Posts
I ran beads for years ….then found they clumped from the condensation from my shop compressor…..my mom and pop uses cool chrome dot weights….I quit worrying about looks when I got old…..good luck

· Registered
1,377 Posts
I ran beads for years ….then found they clumped from the condensation from my shop compressor…..my mom and pop uses cool chrome dot weights….I quit worrying about looks when I got old…..good luck
This is why when I was using internal balancers in my jeep, I used BBs instead of these beads. Since I used to air down and air back up my 35" tires weekly for off-roading it would build up condensation very quickly, and even freeze in the winter.

Most bikes will never experience this since they aren't aired down and back up often. But as you said, it can happen...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts