Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research on replacement tires for my '05 1300C. The tires have some sidewall cracking and are the original tires - considering I may be running up to NC next week, I figure it's time to replace.

One problem: the consensus seems to be Metzeler ME880's, but I cannot for the life of me find a 170/80-15 on any website. Are these no longer available?

If so, what is a good alternative? I'm looking at the OEM tires (Dunlop K555 and unknown front) and the Michelin Commander II's. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shinko

I just bought a 2005 VTX1300C with 3k miles. The tires (original stock Dunlop tires) looked in good shape but I was advised to change them. As luck would have it, I had a nail got into my stock Dunlop fronts and ended up replacing the front tire with a Shinko 777 bought from Amazon. I have noticed a dramatic improvement in handling which I was not expecting.

The reason I have the above background is to tell you that even for the rears I am looking at either a Shinko SR734 or a Kenda Kruz K673 ($86 and $93 on Amazon) From what I have read in the reviews on Amazon, they perform incredibly well and people have rated them on par with the Michelins and the Metzeler both of which cost twice as much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motorcycle Superstore has the newer version of the 880. I have the 888 and seems to have the same attributes as the 880. Here's a link.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/57020/i/metzeler-me-888-marathon-ultra-rear-tire
From what I read, there is little user data available on 888's (except for one alarming review on MS about the tires falling apart twice), and from what I understand they have a 30% lower grip rating. At that point, I'd rather be buying for price rather than 'performance.'

·
Registered
343 Posts
I believe Im running the Kenda K673 on my 1300C. All I can remember for sure is Kenda Cruz. Lol. Anyway, I have NO complaints on them. Wearing great and excellent traction. Just my $0.02 worth. I have seen a few negatives posted about Kenda tires but you're always going to have that.
The Shinkos that were on it when I got it did not wear very good or last very long at all.

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
Metzeler is a top rated tire maker. No, they don;t grip "33% less..." As far as tires falling apart, you can read threads on here and many other forums that will say the same thing for any tire made out there. So, take that with a grain of salt. Remember this, you only hear of the bad things on the web. So, you had 2 tires deflate, but that's 2 out of how may tens of thousands or more that last the life of the tread with no problems at all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Metzeler is a top rated tire maker. No, they don;t grip "33% less..." As far as tires falling apart, you can read threads on here and many other forums that will say the same thing for any tire made out there. So, take that with a grain of salt. Remember this, you only hear of the bad things on the web. So, you had 2 tires deflate, but that's 2 out of how may tens of thousands or more that last the life of the tread with no problems at all
Understood. I was just able to find very little user experience information on here or VTX Cafe, so hesitated. Do you see any issue with running a ME880 170/80-19 Rear and ME888 110/90-15 Front?

St. Charles, huh? I was born in Elmhurst.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Understood. I was just able to find very little user experience information on here or VTX Cafe, so hesitated. Do you see any issue with running a ME880 170/80-19 Rear and ME888 110/90-15 Front?

St. Charles, huh? I was born in Elmhurst.

I get all mine from here:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

Best prices and quick delivery.

·
Banned
6,649 Posts
I just bought a 2005 VTX1300C with 3k miles. The tires (original stock Dunlop tires) looked in good shape but I was advised to change them. As luck would have it, I had a nail got into my stock Dunlop fronts and ended up replacing the front tire with a Shinko 777 bought from Amazon. I have noticed a dramatic improvement in handling which I was not expecting.

The reason I have the above background is to tell you that even for the rears I am looking at either a Shinko SR734 or a Kenda Kruz K673 ($86 and $93 on Amazon) From what I have read in the reviews on Amazon, they perform incredibly well and people have rated them on par with the Michelins and the Metzeler both of which cost twice as much.
+1 on the Shinkos and welcome from somewhere west of Atlanta!

·
Banned
6,649 Posts
From what I read, there is little user data available on 888's (except for one alarming review on MS about the tires falling apart twice), and from what I understand they have a 30% lower grip rating. At that point, I'd rather be buying for price rather than 'performance.'
Don't know about the MS report but I can buy 2 sets of Shinko's for less than the price of 1 set of Metz. That means fresher tires unless namebrand is just your thing WHERE 'YAT WHODAT? I'm from Metairie

·
Banned
6,649 Posts
SOOOOOOOOOO , if your pistol misfired twice while protecting your home, you wouldn't, maybe, try a different brand of ammunition?:dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
SOOOOOOOOOO , if your pistol misfired twice while protecting your home, you wouldn't, maybe, try a different brand of ammunition?:dontknow:
The OP didn;t have two failures, he READ about 2 failures. Going by your assumption, you shouldn't be riding a VTX because there are many busted and bad parts on VTXs

·
Banned
6,649 Posts
The OP didn;t have two failures, he READ about 2 failures. Going by your assumption, you shouldn't be riding a VTX because there are many busted and bad parts on VTXs
Good try but we're not going by my assumption, but rather, your post.
Also a tire deflating is much more serious than a part breaking.

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
Yep, you're right. And you can read about a tire of every brand failing. It happens to them all very rarely. So, I guess he justs goes with no tires at all, so, what brand do you use that has never failed?

·
Banned
6,649 Posts
Yep, you're right. And you can read about a tire of every brand failing. It happens to them all very rarely. So, I guess he justs goes with no tires at all, so, what brand do you use that has never failed?
No tires? That's silly and actually, I've never had a tire fail on me. Just lucky I guess

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ive had a Shinko wear real bad, with about a foot of tire down to cords and the rest with decent tread. But I wont say all Shinko are bad.
Ive had an Elite 3 (goldwing) rear blow out the sidewall at highway speed. Had around 4-5K worth of tread left. But I wont say all Elite 3s are bad.
ive seen severe cupping on some Dunlops on my uncle's springer Harley, but I cant say all Dunlops are bad.

Sometimes, [email protected] happens.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Understood. I was just able to find very little user experience information on here or VTX Cafe, so hesitated. Do you see any issue with running a ME880 170/80- 19 Rear and ME888 110/90-15 Front?
Rear wheel 15", front wheel 19"
ME888 is the updated version of the ME880, not available in all sizes.

Avon has a great rear tire.
Kenda 673 front was the least mileage I ever got out of a tire on my X.
I have run more Pirelli MT66 tires than any other.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The 888 replaced the 880 and it's supposed to last longer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts