Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So check this out and tell me if this is right. I had tires installed last week and the place hit me for 120 dollars! I have a busy schedule so my dad took it down for me and picked it up. They told him that the VTX F is the hardest bike to do tires on because they had to REMOVE the exhaust. Now im not a mechanic but come on, is this true? Im super frustrated. I think they were mad because I bought the tires on the internet and they want to sell their own. I dont know I just needed to vent that. ugh:banghead:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Exhaust removal must be ref. to the rear axle nut access, but an open end wrench works with exhaust on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exhaust removal must be ref. to the rear axle nut access, but an open end wrench works with exhaust on.
Thats what I thought. That SOB

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
My SuperTrapp 2into1 is almost directly in line with the axle nut and VERY close.

I can easily remove mine without removing the exhaust. The dealer is FOS or has a VERY bad selection of tools.

·
Super Moderator
63,943 Posts
Yes, if they want to torque the axle nut to specs, they must be able to get a socket on the nut. Some exhausts need to come off for this

·
Registered
380 Posts
sound like a decent price to me for a wheel removal and tire change - consider that the charge for a wheel in hand change is $30 - add the hour or hour and half it took for labor and you are right there - next time try to pull the rear tire and then remount it yourself and see the work involved...

120 isn't that bad...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Takes all of 2 minutes to remove 2 bolts, loosen the clamp, and slip off the bazooka on my C...

Sorry dude, but any way you look at it, it sucks to get screwed like that.

Iz

·
Registered
594 Posts
Lessons learned

If they did a good job- then consider it fair trade and lesson learned. I paid $200 to my ex-stealer to mount and balance both new rims and tires. I wasn't unhappy until i realized they scratched one of my rims #%#%#%. Considered it lesson learned. They said they would polish out the scratch if i would let them have it back for a couple of days. I decided NOT to ever let them take advantage of me again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I was replacing my rear tire on my retro, I tried to just remove the bottom bolts of the shocks and then lift the bike. Thought was that I would be able to get to the nut from under the V&H bigshots - nope. The swingarm rested on the bracket and it didn't work, don't know if it would have worked with stock exhaust or not. I then pulled the shocks completely off and lowered the bike on the lift. This raised the bolt well above the pipes to allow me to remove the nut. Jacked it up to pull the tire out and put it back in, then I lowered it back down to get access to the nut to torque it down again. Once I figured out how to tackle it, I think I could now get it done in about 15-20 minutes total time to remove and replace - much better than the length of time I spend fighting with the darn exhaust to get it to line up and on right. They did it by the book, not by the brain/common sense and billed according to the time it took them and hopefully price of new gaskets too. If I bring the tire in to the dealer and buy it from them, they will mount and balance for free - but not a ct. If I take the bike in, it is charged by time to remove the tire at $75/hour. erik

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies guys. I feel a little better about the whole situation now that I finally got to go ride on the new tires. Feels like a new bike again. It just sucks if they did remove the exhaust because I am getting big shots next week and if they already had the stock ones off it would have been nice to have already had the new ones to throw on at the same time. But im looking forward to doing that myself so its allgood.

·
Registered
116 Posts
the place hit me for 120 dollars!
Yup. Just got my bike back an hour ago.

I have 2 honda dealers about the same distance away. Smaller town, $90 for both wheels, little bigger town, $120 for both wheels. There is another thread about shop charges, I will be posting my full bill there.

Call ahead of time, ask your friends where they go.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The F

My buddy has the F and we had to remove the slip on part of the exhaust to get the axle out.

Ok, it added 11 minutes total once we had it figured out. Next time, probably 5.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Tire Charges

Pretty much the going price in the Indianapolis area. If you take the bike in and buy their tire it is about $60 for the Rear and $45 for the Front at the dealer. I shopped around and saved a ton on the rear tire and so the $60 was cheap. Plus they looked over the bearings and such and did the balance and all. I do not have the equipment to do all that so consider it good money spent. There are cheaper places but if you saved money on the tires by buying on the internet it all works out. If a shop is good then they have to pay the mechanic well to keep him/her. I would rather have a good mechanic working on my tires/rims rather than a guy they just got off the street. Seems like you got good value for the money as they build the price to change a tire that you buy from them into the install price. To check if you got a raw deal, ask what the price would be if you bought from them. Should be about $15-20 difference. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts