Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles can you expect to make with the original Dunlop tires on a VTX1300R? How do you know when you should change? Are there any wear markings on the tire to look for? I'm approaching 13,000 miles and I'm wondering when I should for new tires.

Thanks.

Slinky

·
Registered
370 Posts
On a previous thread there was discussion about the left side of the front tire going bald. Mine has gone bald at 9300 miles. It's time to get a new front tire for me! If you have tread left and don't slip on the painted 'directional marks' in the street (you know, the left and right arrows, the walkway markers, etc..) during wet conditions you are ok! If you slip on these in wet conditions with thinning tread, could be an indication that it's time to invest in new rubber.:doorag:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Check the wear bars on the tires, there is a wear indicator on the side of the tires that shows where the bars are. The owners manuel shows the following:

For the best performance, you should replace a tire before the thread depth at the center reaches the following limits.
Front .06 inch / 1.5 MM
Rear .08 inch / 2.0 MM

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I agree with checking the wear bars.....that is the only way to know when you need tires.

Slipping on the directional inlays on roads isnt one......you can slip on those with brand new tires when the roads are wet.....

How, when , where you ride all make a difference. How well you keep after tire pressures do as well. How much extra cargo, accessory and body weight you carry on the bike also contribute to the numbers.

I get around 7-9k on the pair.....front lasts a little longer than the rear. That means a set of tires every 7-8 months or so for me.

I commute on my bike and ride about 40 miles a day....lost of stop and go, poor road conditions, etc. I have tried bumping up the tire pressures to 38/40 like some suggest but that just ends up giving me a harsher ride...no more mileage.

Guys claim to get 15k miles on tires around here and I just cant see that, but I chalk that up to the same variables.

Also, I wonder how much of this "extra" mileage comes from misreading the tires...if ANY PART OF THE TIRE tread is reading at the levl of or below the wear bars, the tire is worn out. Years ago I used to push it and wore the tire out to wear it was a slick in the middle.......sure, I got some extra miles....but I learned that that is flirting with disaster. Would rather spend a few more dollars a year than lose control of the bike.

I have also learned that repalicng the tires in pairs is not only saving me time and hassle as well as bike downtime, it also keeps the bike feeling "right" and sticking to the road perfectly all the time. I couldsquueze maybe another 500 miles out of the front tire when I change therear, but usually the left side is pretty worn and 500 miles is about 2 weeks for me....no point in waiting.

Bike tires seem to wear very quickly once they get below a certain wear-level.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I only got 12,500 out of my first set. I switched them for Metzler 880's. I figured that the start of a new riding season needed new tires. ANy small puddle can turn into a hdroplane situation with worn tires - my life was worth a new set. If you have 13000 on them, they are due to be changed.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I got about 14-15000 on my first set, about 16000 outta the second set, and going on 11000 on my third set, all OEM Dunlops. I pay no mind to the wear bars, instead use the tread depth guage on my air pressure guage... run them at 38/40 psi, front/rear... most all my riding is on the highway. I do use it in town, but I can walk the 6-7 blocks downtown faster then I can get the bike out and ride it, lol... well, maybe not, but... its a small town, so I mostly walk in town, or use the company van to do errands on my way home from work... I've had zero problems and zero bitches about the Dunlops.

·
Old Goat
26,218 Posts
Well I know Im in the minority but Ive had good luck with my dunflops, Ive got 12k on the rear and still looks good (even with 2 plugs) and the only reason I changed out the front was to install a C rim and stock 110 . good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
First set of Dunlops ran for 17K on the front and 20K on the rear. Second set 15k on the front and 18K rear. Working on the 3rd set. I have nothing to complain about with the Dunlops. I'm a conservative rider but do twist the grip.:tools:

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
I've had zero problems and zero bitches about the Dunlops.
Same here. 13,500 on this set. The front is bald on the left and the rear looks like I could get another 5,000 miles on it. Switching 'em out this spring with a set of Dunlop WWW.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree with checking the wear bars.....that is the only way to know when you need tires.

Slipping on the directional inlays on roads isnt one......you can slip on those with brand new tires when the roads are wet.....

How, when , where you ride all make a difference. How well you keep after tire pressures do as well. How much extra cargo, accessory and body weight you carry on the bike also contribute to the numbers.

I get around 7-9k on the pair.....front lasts a little longer than the rear. That means a set of tires every 7-8 months or so for me.

I commute on my bike and ride about 40 miles a day....lost of stop and go, poor road conditions, etc. I have tried bumping up the tire pressures to 38/40 like some suggest but that just ends up giving me a harsher ride...no more mileage.

Guys claim to get 15k miles on tires around here and I just cant see that, but I chalk that up to the same variables.

Also, I wonder how much of this "extra" mileage comes from misreading the tires...if ANY PART OF THE TIRE tread is reading at the levl of or below the wear bars, the tire is worn out. Years ago I used to push it and wore the tire out to wear it was a slick in the middle.......sure, I got some extra miles....but I learned that that is flirting with disaster. Would rather spend a few more dollars a year than lose control of the bike.

I have also learned that repalicng the tires in pairs is not only saving me time and hassle as well as bike downtime, it also keeps the bike feeling "right" and sticking to the road perfectly all the time. I couldsquueze maybe another 500 miles out of the front tire when I change therear, but usually the left side is pretty worn and 500 miles is about 2 weeks for me....no point in waiting.

Bike tires seem to wear very quickly once they get below a certain wear-level.
..please don't listen to me, I'm an idiot! I ride by the seat of my pants too!:joke:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got just over 11 k out of my first set. I just checked my back tire, almost smooth on the rear, and only 6 k. I dont think the dunlops are made very consistant. Ill go with the metzlers next time.

·
Registered
370 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I only got about 5,000 on my front tire due to continued running at underinflated pressures. Wore out on left side - no tread left. I installed a Metzler and you better believe I will pay more attention to keeping it inflated to 40psi this time!!!

Went to a car tire on the rear - but that's a whole 'nother subject.

CW

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Don't do what I do because I listen to the voices in my head and disregard other sounder advice.
I go ahead and grind that front Dunlop down as I take it up to 20000+ miles and then change fr and rear at the same time.
Pic of my second Dunlop

I think it was at 17000 then and honestly it handled horrible,
My third Dunlop is at 10000m and shows none of the left side wear the first two did. I very carefully keep the pressure at 38-40 and the only thing different is I installed this one and was careful to do so per manual and at the same time I drained the fork oil and refilled as per manual. T. Dill and J Lick have interesting things to say about front tire wear. T. Dill says the front tire assembly is installed by the dealers after uncrating. Do they do it per manual or while talking about last night?
I don't know what the real answer is,,, next time I need new rubber I'm also going to install Progressive springs along with fork oil change and upgraded neck bearings. Should be about 8000m from now though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I only got about 5,000 on my front tire due to continued running at underinflated pressures. Wore out on left side - no tread left. I installed a Metzler and you better believe I will pay more attention to keeping it inflated to 40psi this time!!!

Went to a car tire on the rear - but that's a whole 'nother subject.

CW
Where can I go to see a car tire on the back of a motorcycle?:dontknow:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Everything you want to know and more is at the "Dark Side" form...I believe it's http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/ .

All I know is that I replaced my rear with a General Grabber 205-70-15 car tire, and am very happy with it.

CW

·
Registered
752 Posts
I got about 14K on my original set of Dunnies and they were still in pretty good shape. However, I wanted to go with WWW's so I swapped them out.

I like that classic 'Old Skool' look. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts