Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Synthetic rubber

Tire is a Shinko Verge 200/50/18 rear
Just shy of 4k miles and it's just about to the wear bars.
The previous tire was the same manufacturer, model and size. I got almost 8k miles out of it.
Both tires were run at 40psi checked before every ride.
1. Any thoughts on the disparity between the mileage of the two tires?
2. What are people averaging for rear tire life/mileage?
Thanks

· Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,932 Posts
Disparity... you were doing burn outs or downshifting and letting tire chirp. seriously, some tires are crap.

· Old Goat
26,953 Posts
If u care to do a search…tire life is all over the place…many variables….when I rode was an easy rider…still no matter the brand best I could do was 8k….until I went dark on the rear….most folks didnt like the OEM tires…but the dunlops that came on the bike I got 12k…the original rear is still mounted on the OEM rim out in the shop…..others will be along…good luck

Reactions: Merry Prankster

· Super Moderator
64,439 Posts
I'll keep saying this until my fingers are blue....Dunlop American Elite, Dunlop Elite 4 and Dunlop D407 and 408 any of those will last 20,000 miles or more. I had the first series of their "Dual compound" tires the 407/408 on my heavy CVO Ultra. I swapped out the original set when I hit 18,000 because I was heading out on another 2 week trip. A kid at the HD dealer put them on his Ultra and rode the whole season on them adding another 8,000 on them. These dual compound tires are excellent

· Old Goat
26,953 Posts
I'll keep saying this until my fingers are blue....Dunlop American Elite, Dunlop Elite 4 and Dunlop D407 and 408 any of those will last 20,000 miles or more. I had the first series of their "Dual compound" tires the 407/408 on my heavy CVO Ultra. I swapped out the original set when I hit 18,000 because I was heading out on another 2 week trip. A kid at the HD dealer put them on his Ultra and rode the whole season on them adding another 8,000 on them. These dual compound tires are excellent
Maybe make that^^^^^^^^ your signature….always good advice…

· Registered
13,640 Posts
View attachment 207679
The previous tire was the same manufacturer, model and size. I got almost 8k miles out of it.
Thanks
Cheap crappy tires, badly maintained roads like tar/ chip garbage. I have run Metz 880, Michelin Cmdr. II, and never got better than 7-8K out of either. I also ran Ride-On, and 38-40 psi, and check / maintenance often. Currently running a Dunlop Elite 4 bias w/ only a couple K on it. The Mich was cupping w/o being worn down so I replaced it. On the back, I run a Darkside General Altimax RT43 radial 205-65-16 with Ride-On 38 psi. I'll never wear it out, never go back to a MC tire. Half as expensive, will last 4-5 times or more as long, superior traction and braking in wet or dry conditions, if I lock it up the bike stays upright.

Reactions: Merry Prankster

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Disparity... you were doing burn outs or downshifting and letting tire chirp. seriously, some tires are crap.
LoL no burnouts but I do ALOT of engine braking.

I'll keep saying this until my fingers are blue....Dunlop American Elite, Dunlop Elite 4 and Dunlop D407 and 408
I run a 200/50/18 on the rear which isn't a stock VTX rear rim. The Dunlop American Elite and Dunlop Elite 4 do not appear to be offered in this size. The Dunlop D407/408 I am unsure of as I wasnt able to find them advertised at major retailers Revzilla/Cyclegear/JP Cycles etc.

On the back, I run a Darkside General Altimax RT43 radial 205-65-16 with Ride-On 38 psi. I'll never wear it out, never go back to a MC tire. Half as expensive, will last 4-5 times or more as long
My Goldwing is Darkside, a Bridgestone Driveguard and I've never been super happy with it. It doesn't do anything blatantly wrong or dangerous but it also definitely isn't a motorcycle tire.
Most obvious difference to me is in long sweeping corners. It requires more more effort/handlebar input to keep it leaned over, the bike wants to stand back up more then it does with a motorcycle tire.
It's possible that this might be caused by how square the Driveguard profile is and different tire with a more motorcycle tire like profile might react better.
The milage is unbeatable for sure, but using the Driveguard as my only reference i'm not at the point where I want to go darkside on the VTX unless I do find a better profile car tire.

Thanks for all the input guys it is appreciated. I realize the Shinko isn't the greatest tire in the world but I have found the tire size limits whats available. Worse the few tire manufacurers/models I do find as an option are further limited by being out of stock.
Not really looking for an AHH HA!! type answer just curious about the boards experience in general.

· Old Goat
26,953 Posts
I run a 200/50/18 on the rear which isn't a stock VTX rear rim……FYI…..VTX 1800F has a 18 rear rim….

· Premium Member
11,051 Posts
My tire guy, yes I have one if those, is a Metzler shop. He likes them best, so I follow his recommendation. The Marathon 888 I have in the rear is lasting amazingly well. Much better than the previous 880.

Reactions: VTXer_wannaB

· Registered
2004 VTX1300S converted to R
687 Posts
Cheap crappy tires, badly maintained roads like tar/ chip garbage. I have run Metz 880, Michelin Cmdr. II, and never got better than 7-8K out of either.
I have used Metzler's 888's and always get 12,000 to 14,000 miles. Currently have 888's on with 10,500 and rodr these tires in some pretty bad roads in Canada. They look like they will go another
3,000 to 4000 miles. The last set I took off had 12,000 and would have run them a little longer, but got a nail and was making a big trip so I was planning no changing them anyway.

· Old Goat
26,953 Posts
I have only replaced one rear tire on my VTX 1800S. It just doesn't wear. I will replace it because of age.
Check out that contact patch…who could argue against that…I need to change mine out (age) but we have no one left in town that will do it….may have to go back to MC which is no biggie…good luck

Reactions: rangers4u

· Registered
13,640 Posts
Reactions: DrDolittle

· Registered
2003 VTX1800
17 Posts
View attachment 207679
Thanks
Mileage has varied somewhat but agree with Dunlop Elite, this tire has given me the best mileage and good in the rain (not a bridge troll). Latest Dunlop Elite 4 (180/70R-16) I put on at 77,339 miles, bought on Amazon (2/2/2021) for $261.75 before tax. I now have
View attachment 207679
Thanks
View attachment 207679
Thanks
I’ve had the best luck over the years with Dunlop Elite 4(3). Mileage has varied somewhat but my latest tire I put on at 77389 miles, I bought the Dunlop Elite4 (180/70R-16) on Amazon on 2/2/2021for $261.75 before tax. I now have 82889 miles and just touching the ware bars (picture attached). Typically get over 10,000 but usually run the rears down to the “second skin”phase. Check pressure every week or so, 50 psi. Like the rain handling of these (not a bridge troll) very little hydro in standing water. Used to bald out other brands at around 8 K.
Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire Composite material

· Registered
13,640 Posts
Mileage has varied somewhat but agree with Dunlop Elite, this tire has given me the best mileage and good in the rain (not a bridge troll). Latest Dunlop Elite 4 (180/70R-16) I put on at 77,339 miles, bought on Amazon (2/2/2021) for $261.75 before tax. I now have

I’ve had the best luck over the years with Dunlop Elite 4(3). Mileage has varied somewhat but my latest tire I put on at 77389 miles, I bought the Dunlop Elite4 (180/70R-16) on Amazon on 2/2/2021for $261.75 before tax. I now have 82889 miles and just touching the ware bars (picture attached). Typically get over 10,000 but usually run the rears down to the “second skin”phase. Check pressure every week or so, 50 psi. Like the rain handling of these (not a bridge troll) very little hydro in standing water. Used to bald out other brands at around 8 K.
View attachment 207892

View attachment 207892
I hope that '50 psi' was a missed keystroke, and you meant 40. 50 is unsafe! Esp. when one considers in heat and riding on the road generates at least 5 more psi expansion.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts